Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How iPhone Time Sync work???

Default How iPhone Time Sync work???
    Dear All,

I'm 1.1.1 OTB -> 1.1.2 (week 07/42) user, jailbroken using CANAVAL. I already use my phone over several months and just notice that my time on the iPhone DOES NOT match my other clock eg. my iPAQ 310 GPS, my notebook runing windows xp.
    I already set the time in setting -> general -> date/time to Set Automatically, so if anyone know how the "Set Automatically" work please let me know.

Regards,

P.S. I connect my iPhone everyday via both EDGE and Wi-Fi, normally for checking my mail using mail application and browse the web using Safari.

I guess your network should push the correct time...its pretty much like when you fly to a different time zone, the clock auto adjusts upon receiving a signal.

So it update the time via the Phone operator network, am I correct?

Thanks

You mean it doesn't match to the exact millisecond? We need to know if you have a problem here, or are just being anally retentive
    To live, you have to lie

Quote Originally Posted by ting View Post
    So it update the time via the Phone operator network, am I correct?
    Yes, that's correct...so I dont really know why you are having this problem. Maybe your network backend is not updating the correct time.

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    You mean it doesn't match to the exact millisecond? We need to know if you have a problem here, or are just being anally retentive
    My iPhone is about 52 seconds away from my Windows notebook which it is about 1 second away from my iPAQ 310 GPS device. A second is acceptable but not 52. I think the problem was my operator in Thailand (I'm using TH AIS GSM). Firstly I thought iPhone connect to a time server on the internet, just like Mac (time.asia.mac.com) or Windows (time.windows.com).

I will try changing SIM to use other operator to find out how this work.

Thanks.

Lol my laptop and iPhone are kinna off by a minute or so too...its not that big of a deal, not to me anyways It's just that these two things - Windows laptop and iPhone - use different sources to update time with. You can't blame one device or the other for this.

Quote Originally Posted by ajrulez View Post
    Lol my laptop and iPhone are kinna off by a minute or so too...its not that big of a deal, not to me anyways It's just that these two things - Windows laptop and iPhone - use different sources to update time with. You can't blame one device or the other for this.
    I did not try to blame anyone, just wanna know how this function work. To me this function seem useless, I try to turn off the "set automatic" and then set the time to be 5 hours behind and then turn "set automatic" back on, shut down iPhone and then turn it on again.... nothing happen the time is still 5 hours behind. Maybe TH AIS GSM network backend is not updating the correct time.

So I try to shutdown iPhone again, then change to DTAC, another operator in Thailand, and turn on the iPhone... the time still 5 hours behind... I giveup.

I will try to manually set it from time to time...

Quote Originally Posted by ting View Post
    GSM network backend is not updating the correct time
    Just wanted to make a quick comment on that
    I recently moved from Chicago to San Diego alright..and I was carrying two phones 2 phones with me - an iPhone and a Nokia N80. My iPhone had my personal TMobile SIM while the Nokia N80 had my official ATT SIM.
    Both phones were turned off during the flight and I turend iPhone on as soon as I landed in San Diego. In the following 30 seconds, I saw the time rolling back two hours (cuz I was now in PST). I turned on my Nokia N80 only the following day and never cared to look for time...but after reading your post I noticed that my N80 is still showing CST

I had that problam, and now its fixed.
    All I did is to Sync the iPhone with iTunes.