Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Very odd problem! Should I make a genius bar appointment?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Very odd problem! Should I make a genius bar appointment?
    Okay gents, I seem to have an awkward problem. The other day I wanted to sync my pictures with another computer, and I remembered that if I used a certain program, SwapPhoto, that I would be able to do so without losing the already synced photos. Sounds like a sweet deal right? Anyways, I had used the program before on 1.1.1, and 1.1.2 but I am assuming that 1.1.4 stored its synced photos elsewhere. So, when I tried to sync my Phone next time I got an error. (I'm ashamed to say I don't remember the error code.) But I realized it froze when it was syncing the photos so I disabled photo sync and it synced beautifully.

2 days later I decided I'll just restore my iPhone so I can sync my photos again. (this is where things got bad) The first thing that happened was that I got an error in the very beginning of my installation that said "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred (6)" ( I googled this and found that it is mostly a hardware issue with the battery that occurred when using an iPod charger instead of an iPhone charger, but that was clearly not the case for me )

I used iLiberty+ to kick it our of recovery mode and the phone still worked. So I used iLiberty+ to boot into dfu mode and restore again, this is where things got weird, first i got the 1619 error before I even attempted to do anything with it. (if anybody remembers this error from the ipod days...) then when I tried to restore this time I got a 1601 error about 1/8 of the way through (much farther than when i got the 6 error) so I used iLiberty+ again to kick my phone out of recovery mode again and it is in working state. But here's the thing, i bought my phone on the 30 of june last year and it is currently the 20 of june now. 10 days left until the genius bar doesn't care about me anymore. But I can't restore to get rid of installer....

I need to either somehow manually uninstall everything (including installer and cydia) and get my butt to the Genius Bar OR somehow restore it and fix the problem, which seems to be a software issue so it can't be that bad.

If you need anymore detail I'll be pleased to provide it. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

iPhone? More like MyPhone the sr5's Avatar
    Thanks

Which version of iTunes are you using?

It Is What It Is...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to the sr5 For This Useful Post:

ybahman (2008-06-21)

Leave it in dfu mode because the genius bar isnt going to kick it out of dfu mode, they will just try to restore again, after a few times after it not working then they give you new phone lol thats what i did

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jradtke1987 For This Useful Post:

ybahman (2008-06-21)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm sorry.
    i'm using the Latest version of iTunes, I used ziPhone to jailbreak it, then restored and used iLiberty to jailbreak it the second time. I'm running 1.1.4 firmware.

Also i might mention, I uninstalled most of my apps and everything and tried putting it back into DFU mode to restore, the 1619 and 1601 errors disappeared (they might have been a one time only thing)

*Update*

During the stage where it says "preparing iphone for recovery" my phone reboots, gets stuck at the apple logo, and I get the 6 error.

The DFU mode idea sounds GENIUS is there anything else you guys can think of?
    Last edited by ybahman; 2008-06-21 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jradtke1987 View Post
    Leave it in dfu mode because the genius bar isnt going to kick it out of dfu mode, they will just try to restore again, after a few times after it not working then they give you new phone lol thats what i did
    Agreed.
    Apples taste good.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kruejl For This Useful Post:

ybahman (2008-06-21)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Okay, so I did a little test.

I put it in DFU mode to see if it would stay in DFU mode and not just reboot, and that's exactly what it did. Then I found out that if I induced a reboot then it would boot back up into recovery mode and not DFU mode.

Do you think think they will kick it out of recovery mode if they manually restart it at the apple store (which I'm sure they would)?

Also, does anybody have any pointers of what exactly to say at the Genius Bar? Should I play dumb or what? (they're really stingy at my store)

Also I forgot to mention that I have the 4 GB iPhone... they nolonger carry this model. So would they make me pay a fee to upgrade to 8 GB or would they just not replace it?
    Last edited by ybahman; 2008-06-21 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jradtke1987 View Post
    you know this could work, i have not tried it, due to the fact that i never want apple to ever find out that the phone was jailbroken or unlocked or what ever, so i always restored back and purposely broke it haha, like stick it in DFU or recovery or openSSH'ed into the phone and deleted key files or something along those lines, i just got a new phone yesterday infact that had a dead strip which i had cracked open and peaced and parted together to get a new one... and they didnt care or notice, to tell you the truth i think that jrad's statement might work considering i dont think apple cares about 1st gen iphones anymore.... but if you really want it to be clean then downgrade your itunes to 7.5 and then give it a try again.... once it is out of DFU and fully restored then take it in and say im having issues and if they ask why there is no data on the device say that apple care told you to restore, and you saw no use to resync your data because it was still giving you issues... the correct way to downgrade itunes is to save your library file which is located in Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes library just edit the name to say .bak at the end or something.... DFU your Device try a restore using Shift+Click on Restore, and take that rout then once your phone is bone stock again unplug it from iTunes and then upgrade itunes again and remove the .bak from the library file, if itunes created a new file delete that as well and be sure to change the library name when itunes is closed or you will have to reupload all your music/videos.

best way to find 7.5 is to google it....

It Is What It Is...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the sr5 For This Useful Post:

ybahman (2008-06-21)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    That sounds like a good idea. I'll try that now. But you mentioned you deleted key files with SSH which files should I delete?

Thanks

haha when your purposely trying to break something i dont think it matters haha.... i just deleted the ect/ folder haha... gave me massive errors... the people at the genius bar had never seen anything like it before lol, but dont do that!!! please haha just do what i said put a clean restore on, and stick it back in DFU but when you walk in the store just tell them that your phone has been randomly been sticking itself into DFU/Recovery mode on its own... there is no way for them to prove you are telling the truth or not so even if they get it out of DFU just say "yeh i have done that 3 times in the past two days!!" they will just say ok here is a new phone...

EDIT: oh and BTW let me know how it goes

It Is What It Is...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the sr5 For This Useful Post:

ybahman (2008-06-21)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hmm. WOW your idea to use iTunes 7.5 worked like a charm surprisingly... everything restored fine... THANK YOU!

But considering the fact that I have already made the genius bar appointment (sunday at 12:40 DONT FORGET YASHAR!) anyway I can't let them down and not have a problem...

Do you think I should reinduce the problem and take it in and see if they give me a new phone or do your DFU mode idea straight up?
    Last edited by ybahman; 2008-06-21 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks

apparently i was too late to post but i would have gone with the DFU Mode but hey how did it go?

It Is What It Is...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    man... mission not quite accomplished... i took it in with the red screen. the guy restored it right then and there first thing. we had a little chit chat. told him i'd done it before. he asked how i told him i charged it all night and stuff. he tried all this stuff to try to get it to red screen again but it didn't work.

after about 30 minutes of stuff he filled out some paper work and said he'd extend my warrenty a bit and if it happened again to bring it in again.

so i'm not quite sure what to do or how long to wait before i bring it in again. because i want to get a new one! (since they discontinued the 4gig i'd probably get an upgrade )

but i'm thinking maybe i should find out how i broke it last time that didn't let me restore and break it like that again... what do you think? you have had some pretty bright idea i'm sure you know exactly what to do