Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G MMS and Video

Default iPhone 3G MMS and Video
    So Apple hasn't mentioned anything about MMS (a major reason to upgrade to 3G) or video recording. From what I understand, the camera in the iPhone 3G is the same as the one in the old iPhone, so no mention of video recording capabilities...

My question (or topic of discussion, if you want) is whether or not the lack of Multimedia Messaging (MMS) and video recording will be addressed through the appStore.

I know that there are currently MMS and Video recording applications out for the jailbroken iPhone, but will Apple allow these applications through their appStore, and will they be of better quality?

-thanks,

kargod

MMS..I would say hellz no. That would screw AT&T over if it wasnt through them.

Video Recording...possibly a way around it..but dont count on it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Safari For This Useful Post:

Krzysztof (2008-12-02)

Quote Originally Posted by Safari View Post
    MMS..I would say hellz no. That would screw AT&T over if it wasnt through them.

Video Recording...possibly a way around it..but dont count on it.
    Steve Jobs mentioned that AT&T would be coming out with applications for the iPhone (Yellow Pages, I believe). Could it be possible that they would come out with an MMS application?

I mean MMS is entirely a software issue, right? It's basically just the ability to send pictures and video through text messages, right? I don't understand why my "unlimited data plan" doesn't cover this...

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

maybe swirly would work for it since the text messages are not included in the data plans now
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

I don't really care for MMS. Why use it when you can email? I think I've sent 1 mms my whole life.

We need a video recorder on appstore that can record at a decent frame rate and utilize the inbuilt microphone!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well its not only a software issue. The AT&T network blocks them as well so no matter what At&T will have to creat the app because they also will have to unblock the tranmission capability of MMS for the iPhones.

yeah.. i remember trying to use swirly's mms app on my iphone and i have att... and i couldn't because you had to do all the calling to get media unlimited or something.... and stezza... now that i have an iphone, i realize how many people send me pictures in text messages... and jesus is it a pain to goto viewmymessage.com and all that... i rarely even go through the hassle anymore and it sucks... so i think this would be greatly appreciated by the iphone community, especially on a screen like the one we have... please someone shed some light on this topic, maybe some people at wwdc this week found something out

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You would think these simple/practical cell phone applications would be included on a phone of this caliber. I know Steve and his Apple spies stay on this forum and the within the iphone community so they know its possible and I'm sure know how to improve it. SwirlyMMS and iphonevideorecorder basically paved the way. Nevertheless I'll still buy it and I still love my jailbroken 1.1.4, but Apple & At&T should really provide features that are on damn near any cell phone you buy nowadays.

the mms is a simple carrier update( which is currently available online but you have to use itunes 8.2 beta to install it right now) mms is supposed to be available with at&t blessing later this summer but unless your at&t account is set up for mms its not worth the hassle.

Wow.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont understand, i have a 2g jailbroken running on the t-mobile network with activatemms with a modified .ipcc file through itunes. if a program can be made to activate mms on a 2g why cant a develper make a program called activatemms3G? I dont see what the big deal is with this, shame on Apple and AT&T for bogarting a feature that the cheapest phone you can buy is able to do. Just does not make much sense to me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone alohawaii's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    I dont understand, i have a 2g jailbroken running on the t-mobile network with activatemms with a modified .ipcc file through itunes. if a program can be made to activate mms on a 2g why cant a develper make a program called activatemms3G? I dont see what the big deal is with this, shame on Apple and AT&T for bogarting a feature that the cheapest phone you can buy is able to do. Just does not make much sense to me.
    I agree. I can't believe that the phones greater than 2g don't even have MMS capabilities. Developers definitely should be able to come up with one especially since 2g is already capable of video recording and MMS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I know right, i have cycorder on my iphone 2g and it records awesome video. I am quite impressed, and its free! come on programmers i know plenty of people with the 3g and 3gs that cant even recieve my pic messages.

I did find an interesting article, i dont konw if this works or not, i dont have a 3g iphone and i dont have AT&T so if anybody does this and it works...reply and let other peepz know. cheers!

How to Enable MMS & 3G Tethering on iPhone OS 3.0 GM Build 7A341
    Last edited by vantheman169; 2009-08-12 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost