Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What's wrong with this scenario?

Default What's wrong with this scenario?
    Let's say I have an iphone now and I'm with AT&T. Why can't I walk in to an Apple store come July 11, show them my current AT&T contract, and purchase the 3G Iphone for $199 and walkout with my old contract or even if I have to, renew my contract for another 2 years.

I now have the option of keeping my old phone and selling the new 3G for $399 on ebay for people that wants to buy it and try and unlock it, or just sell my old Iphone for $299 or more and knock another $100 or more of my newly acquired 3G iphone.

Are AT&T sim card tied to the serial number of the iphone?

They can't force you to give them your old iphone, that would be ridiculous. The only way Apple would stop something like this is to sell the new 3G iphone to new customer only(must sign contract before leaving store), but why would AT&T do this to their existing customer that wants a new 3G iphone? Will they give me a new 3G iphone if I trade the old one in?

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

no you have to walk in and sign a new contract, and you need to pay for 3g data which is 10 dollars more a month, they are not gonna take you old phone but the new plan, im pretty sure, will just over right the old one unless you want to have 2 contracts with att. And the sim is not tied to a serial number, i use my sim in a crappy lg trax when i go to beach and stuf, the only thing that dosent work is the data features, although they used to.. weird
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

OK, that still leaves me the option of selling the old one on Ebay for people wanting to unlock it. If I sell it for $300, then I made $100 on the upgrade, not enough for the extra $10/month but it knocks it down a little bit and I'm getting faster service.

If that is the case, expect to see a lot of non 3G iphone on Ebay and the price will drop fast if a lot of people upgrade.

This will be a sweet deal for people who wants to use an old iphone on another network.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

igeuss but they will still make a good amount of money seeing new phone cannot be unlocked or jail broken yet. And the old phones have boat loads of apps. all the old apps have to be re writtin to work on new 2.0 firmware
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!