Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G- Forced In-Store Activation? Really?

Default iPhone 3G- Forced In-Store Activation? Really?
    I can understand them making you do this if you buy the phone at a subsidized price. Will the iPhone 3G be available to buy at a non-subsidized price? If so, for how much?

And what if we want to buy one for somebody as a gift? That's pretty lame that the person you give it to will then have to go back into the store for activation. iTunes was extermely convenient for the EDGE iPhone. I think this is an unfortunate inconvenience, and is only going to cause major delays on July 11 as everyone stands around the store to wait for their iPhone 3G to activate.

If you think things were bad last year when the first iPhone came out, just imagine how bad things could be next month. The price is HALF of what it was last year, and now you have each person waiting 10-15 minutes in the store before they can leave. The place is going to look like a clown car after 15 minutes.
    Last edited by ARCHA1C; 2008-06-11 at 07:38 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone owensdus's Avatar
    Thanks

yulp. Thank god for the other countries where crap like that has been outlawed. It gives us a chance to get one form them. Apple screwed up this time.

I think that apple has screwed up big time with AT&T. The iphone is way too popular to only use one network. I think it is kinda taking away your rights to make you activate your phone in store.

Quote Originally Posted by mx708 View Post
    I think that apple has screwed up big time with AT&T. The iphone is way too popular to only use one network. I think it is kinda taking away your rights to make you activate your phone in store.
    Personally, I cannot understand Steve Jobs's Business acumen.

What the hell does he care if someone uses an unlocked phone with T-Mobile?
    He's making dough on the phone.

I never understood that about him. Is it because he has to look like he cares or does he really care??

If I were him, what the hell would I care if people Jailbreak their phones?? As long as they're happy with what I'm selling & keeping the satisfaction ratings up for more people to buy.

T-Mobile? You are thinking way too small. This new version will be compatible with all networks except for sprint (they don't use sim cards). Give it time, I'm sure you'll be able to get the iPhone2.0 with more networks in the near future.

Steve Jobs has to care, or at least look like he cares. Otherwise, it would be a complete slap in the face of the service provider.
    They want to know that he is doing everything he can to maintain exculsivity that the contract between Apple and AT&T outlines.

It's the same reason video game console manufacturers (SONY, Microsoft, Nintendo) have to crack down on piracy. Their clients (game / movie developers) will prefer which ever platform can guarantee that users will continue to use their system.

AT&T wants to make sure that the people that are buying their "exclusive" hardware will continue to be AT&T customers down the road. Especially now that the phones are subsidized. AT&T has to make their money back over time now. It does them no good to sell the phone and not get a service contract attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFish View Post

I never understood that about him. Is it because he has to look like he cares or does he really care??

If I were him, what the hell would I care if people Jailbreak their phones?? As long as they're happy with what I'm selling & keeping the satisfaction ratings up for more people to buy.

Thanks

for a start, this is clearly an AT&T thing. no other carrier in the world that im aware of does NOT have an option for a non subsidized iPhone, except AT&T.

AT&T are obviously going to pay the difference, and add the price onto your contracts to recoup their money. its very clever and nothing anyone can do.

by the way, on day of purchase, all they have to do is demand payment by card and say "if you dont activate within 30 days your card will be charged with "X" amount" or just have you SIGN the contract in store and activate at home. as soon as its signed its done.

i really dont know where people are getting 10-15 minutes from.

anyway, JULY 11th, ebay.co.uk for all your iPhone 3G needs....

I really do hope that we will be able to take the phone home and activate it via iTunes, but several reports seem to conflict with this. As for the 10-15 minute activation claims, Gizmodo, among others, has posted an article about the iPhone 3G price and activation plan.

"Also, no in-home activation for iPhone 3G—it does require a two-year contract, and it will have to be activated in store (at AT&T or Apple Store), which takes 10-12 minutes"- Gizmomo
    Link to article:
    iPhone 3G Pricing and Activation Details: $30 Unlimited Data, Activated In Store Only
    Last edited by ARCHA1C; 2008-06-11 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks

cant remember links, but have been reports that some customers may be able to activate at home, but must still enter into a contract to get the iphone or face charges (charges not specified as yet)

ive been to so many sites over past few days cant even start to think but is true.

either way, as it stands americans that want to unlock must look abroad....

btw, I wonder what the iPhone Dev Team is up to.

Thanks

btw, I wonder what the iPhone Dev Team is up to.
    true, they have been very quiet.

they havent publicly released that they have jailbroke the last 2 beta firmwares, so i guess they are either doing this or have done it already and just waiting for 2.0 to be released so they can check their method still works and it will be to late for apple to patch it (even if they could)

I suspect the Dev team is keeping quiet until 1.2.0 firmware is released so that Apple cannot close any gaps in the firmware that the Dev team is hoping to exploit for jailbreaking/unlocking.
    They've come through with good stuff in the past, and they keep things to themselves for a reason.

iPhone? More like MyPhone flattop95's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHA1C View Post
    I suspect the Dev team is keeping quiet until 1.2.0 firmware is released so that Apple cannot close any gaps in the firmware that the Dev team is hoping to exploit for jailbreaking/unlocking.
    They've come through with good stuff in the past, and they keep things to themselves for a reason.
    i think you mean firmware 2.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by flattop95 View Post
    i think you mean firmware 2.0.0
    No, I mean 1.2.0
    They are calling it "Two point O" but the actual firmware number will be 1.2.0
    Since all of the previous firmwares have been 1.0.x, 1.1.x, the next installment will be 1.2.x
    This is the same format used for their OS versions.
    Whenever someone refers to it as 2.0, they are only referencing the last two octets

This story just popped up on iPhoneFreak.
    At first it seemed like we would get some answers about the iPhone 3g activation process, but now I fear it's still open to speculation.

In yet another leaked AT&T memo it sheds some additional light on the subject of those in-store activation requirements. While the memo has a new activation section that pretty clearly states that it will be done in-store.

“The iPhone 3G will be activated at point of sale when the device is purchased, in store.”
    It also goes on to mention that the activation process will be completed in AT&T stores using a “short tether process to unbrick” (their words, not mine). However they also clearly state that it will be possible to “unbrick” your phone at home.

“AT&T and Apple stores “unbrick” the iPhone 3G at time of purchase, but for some reason if that doesn’t happen, you’ll be required to use iTunes at home.”
    While this does let us know that it will be possible to leave the store without a working handset and get it working once you arrive home its clear that the activation process is being handled much differently than the original activation process. Which personally still bugs me that I had to pay $36 to activate and set up my own iPhone, but that is all in the past now.

Here’s hoping that the long lines and big crowds will force some stores to allow customers to simply purchase their phone with a quick transaction and take care of the rest at home. Possibly we are looking at a situation where at home or in store activation could depend on whether or not you are a current AT&T customer or even if you are (or are not) a current iPhone user.
    Last edited by ARCHA1C; 2008-06-13 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by psedog View Post
    T-Mobile? You are thinking way too small. This new version will be compatible with all networks except for sprint (they don't use sim cards). Give it time, I'm sure you'll be able to get the iPhone2.0 with more networks in the near future.
    sprint-nextel and verizon both use CDMA and not only don't use sim cards but have completely different radio's and lisences (ie there probably won't for a LONG time if ever be a verizon iphone)

He also has to follow certain mandates to be able to sell the phone without apple having to act as an MVNO. Steve jobs would care if you jailbroke the phone because then it's not how he and apple designed it, which is the way they think it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHA1C View Post
    I can understand them making you do this if you buy the phone at a subsidized price. Will the iPhone 3G be available to buy at a non-subsidized price? If so, for how much?

And what if we want to buy one for somebody as a gift? That's pretty lame that the person you give it to will then have to go back into the store for activation. iTunes was extermely convenient for the EDGE iPhone. I think this is an unfortunate inconvenience, and is only going to cause major delays on July 11 as everyone stands around the store to wait for their iPhone 3G to activate.

If you think things were bad last year when the first iPhone came out, just imagine how bad things could be next month. The price is HALF of what it was last year, and now you have each person waiting 10-15 minutes in the store before they can leave. The place is going to look like a clown car after 15 minutes.
    A. Yes it's subsidized, that's why they're making a big fuss over HAVING to activate in store (even at the apple store)

B. According to AT&T, because you HAVE to activate, you can't buy them as gifts.

C. No doubt it'll be a cluster-f**k

From what I understand, early termination fee on a two year contract for AT&T is $175.

So if you just buy the phone for $199, and then break the contract, you still got a new iPhone for $374, which isn't a bad deal. It's STILL cheaper than the 8 GB gen one.

That's an interesting thought, and could prove to be pretty profitable if someone were to try that, then turn around and sell it as an "out of contract" iPhone. Especially once the unlocking begins.

That was my though. But i'm sure the Suits at AT&T have probably already reailzed that, and will write a higher early termination fee into the contract. If not, then it's not gonna be so bad.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hopefully this wont happen in Uk or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Piazza331 View Post
    From what I understand, early termination fee on a two year contract for AT&T is $175.

So if you just buy the phone for $199, and then break the contract, you still got a new iPhone for $374, which isn't a bad deal. It's STILL cheaper than the 8 GB gen one.
    Someone posted a statement from the at&t website saying that the "handset may have to be returned when the contract is terminated early".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast