Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Currentgen iphones to increase in value?

Default Currentgen iphones to increase in value?
    Alright, if you heard/read the keynote yesterday (and the subsequent news items to follow), then you know that you cannot just go into an apple store and buy an iphone. Now, it is required to setup or renew an agreement with AT&T before you can purchase an iphone. So what's so great about that? Simple: in 3-4months time, people on networks other than AT&T will want an iphone, and those of us that have 1G models and ARE on AT&T will have what they want. imagine what people will pay to have thier very own unlocked iphone... Pretty sweet huh?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I was thinking the same...first I was worried our 1st gen phones loose value, due to the price drop but now that it seems the iphones can only be bought in stores and sign a contract right there, we might see an increase in value...

now the 1st gen iphone is out of stock everywhere and the 2nd one can only be bought with a contract, people probably would spend more again to get a 1st gen iphone..especially the guys that sold their 1st gen iphone (non-contract) recently to save up money for the 2nd gen, they're out of luck!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

if it is not jailbroken then i will wait until it is before i sell my current and get the new one. but i definently will get one when they get jailbroken

Don't worry about the new one being jailbroken, as firmware v2.0 is already jailbroken. I hope the current gen phones increase in value, as my bro wasn't able to sell his before the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by bts0uth View Post
    if it is not jailbroken then i will wait until it is before i sell my current and get the new one. but i definently will get one when they get jailbroken
    But even if it is unlocked, you'd have to buy a contract to get your hands on one, or, buy one that has been taken out of contract on eBay for a ridiculous price.

I really hope i make cool profit on my first gen iphone....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

noone knows about the activation in-store. apple wont force this at the apple store and says contract required but sold separately...

so stop guessing, and lets all wait n see
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

^^ Damn, someone has sand in his hoohoo... It's obviously all speculation as of now, but it seems that this is the way that it is going to be. Also, since the new iPhone is a new device, it could be that the bootloader is different, which would break PWNage and the current jailbreak methods (possibly).
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

I doubt there will be any increase in value. Apple will allow the 3Gs to be sold without contracts, just a matter of Supply & demand. Apple obviously wants the iPhones to be sold, they could care less about AT&T.

Thanks

in america the activation will be in store. even if they let you activate at home, you will need to sign a contract in store.

therefore, you cant buy a 3g iphone and walk out with it without signing a contract ...... IN AMERICA!

in the UK, there is a pay as you go option = no contract. they are also offering the phone free on contract. o2 is owned by telefonica, which are releasing the iphone in spain...... so go figure about the spain release.

it would make logical sense for the rest of europe to follow suit aswell.

therefore, the only people facing this activate in store problem are the people in america.

if you can wait an extra few days, im sure on july 11th evening 3g iphones will be available to buy from europe without contracts and shipped to america and you can fake activate/jailbreak/unlock them as before.

just for the record though, the last to 2.0 beta firmwares have not been jailbroken as of yet (or publicly released that they have been)

better start making some european friends then america......

EDIT:
    and sorry to ruin the party, but 3g iphones on ebay = no increased value of 1st gen iphones.
    Last edited by reeko; 2008-06-10 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i think the increase would be far after the 3g iphone comes out. it would of course not be now lol

once it comes out, and gets chopped down, if all is bad news, first gen could rise in value.

or, 2nd gen could be exactly like firs gen, cheaper, newer, black/white, be jailbreakable, unlockable, 3rd party possible, then the 1st gen would be worth diddly squat

it can go both ways, but we will all keep guessing for the next month. newer iphone could be useless on different networks if the new 3g modem is reliant on the 3g network. gps im sure will be reliant on the 3g modem/network so for non at&t users or non official users will prolly lose out on all the new features anyway so keeping 1st gen might not be all that bad. doesn't look smaller, jus black, plastic, and new
    Last edited by smirkis; 2008-06-10 at 11:24 PM.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

what about online?? wouldn't apple put the iphone 3g for sale on their website after the release.

Thanks

have you not seen the news headline of no online sales?