Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G: True GPS or "Assisted" GPS ?!?

Default iPhone 3G: True GPS or "Assisted" GPS ?!?
    Hi Guys,

Who can give me a straight answer here?

I have found tonnes of news about the new iPhone's GPS!

But then they always mention "Maps on iPhone 3G combines GPS, Wi-Fi, and cell tower location" or "triangulating your position using Wi-Fi and cellular towers" ...

IS THERE REAL GPS ON THE NEW iPHONE 3G ?????

Thanks!

Thanks

Well, A-GPS is an enhanced version of GPS
    To live, you have to lie

Well it is assisted meaning you still need wifi or edge for the maps app to update it's location. Which is not a independant gps at least software wise, but since it does have a gps chip which is good maybe in the future an updated mapps application will come out. For right now I do have gps on my 1st. gen with my external holux gps receiver connected with a cable to my phone ( I know built is is nicer ), and the GPS Live app from installer or the Hike.app. GPS Live use the mapps app of the phone to drop pins every second and updates your position, and the Hike app let's you see your speed and direction and also you can put way points in. Long story short the new iphone with gps just let's you pinpoint your location more precise than wifi or cellular tower triangulation.
    But again it could be enhanced with software update, the important thing is that it has a gps chip built in.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It doesn't have turn voice commands? That sux. Who would want to 'find themselves' unless they were a lostcase?

All I care about is the fact that it has the GPS capability. You can't change the hardware on the phone, but can change the software.

If u want a gps in ur 1st gen iphone. Make the 1st gen's bluetooth device work, then buy a bluetooth gps receiver, n move from there.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil'siphone View Post
    If u want a gps in ur 1st gen iphone. Make the 1st gen's bluetooth device work, then buy a bluetooth gps receiver, n move from there.
    give us a link to a simple portable one that looks good w the iphone and a "how-to"!

Thanks

Hopefully iPhone will work well with the TomTom application written for it so I am excited for that.