Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can they really make us sign a contract in store?

Default Can they really make us sign a contract in store?
    Can they really make it only possible to buy if you activate it in store and sign up to a contract? I'm really worried... I've sold my iPhone, and it's now obsolete. I don't want a contract, Can they make us sign up or no purchase?! :/ Or how else am I gonna get a 3G iPhone to unlock?

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

From the Apple website:

* Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.

Please note the SOLD SEPARATELY. Rest assured.. you can go buy the phone for $199 WITHOUT a contract.

Also note the new phones will have an upgraded bootloader which is not unlockable yet so don't get the idea that you'll be able to rush out and buy one the first day and bring it home to unlock it.

Yes they can...Ebay is your friend...

So how long do you think it'll be before it can be unlocked?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

No one knows. The Devs don't have the new phone with the new bootloader yet so they can't even START to figure it out until July 11th.

Can you remember how long it took to unlock the first one? If so, how long was it ? :/
    But I imagine it won't take as long this time as they're already familiar with the iPhone and the new model won't be too different.

Well it should be farily easy to pwn it since it has the exact same specs as the old one. The only thing will be the bootloader and that can only take so long. But kind of useless to unlock it for something like T-Mobil that only has 3G voice.

Apple stores will now feture AT&T kiosks in them to activeate the Iphone no more taking them home and unlocking them.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercyberjedi View Post
    Apple stores will now feture AT&T kiosks in them to activeate the Iphone no more taking them home and unlocking them.
    Picture that with a Kodak. lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

they actually can do that. they saw the mistake they made by letting people take them home to activate so now they fixed that and it should curb the unlocking
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conn18 View Post
    Can you remember how long it took to unlock the first one? If so, how long was it ? :/
    But I imagine it won't take as long this time as they're already familiar with the iPhone and the new model won't be too different.
    The first phone took from early July to early September to fully jailbreak and unlock it. I remember I got my phone the day the unlock was released; destiny, I believe.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

you still have to get it on a contract in order to leave the store with it. i doubt that apple can fully protect the new phone from unlocking, its just the whole buy it with a two year and activate that people will have to get around
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon