View Poll Results: Are You Disappointed With the iPhone3G?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

140 67.96%
  • No

66 32.04%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are You Disappointed With the iPhone3G?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faxmonkey View Post
    I'm somewhat disappointed. I know I won't be getting one.

Sure, there are some improvements, but there are still some glaring omissions.

Firstly, as a media player, it's almost inexecusable that iphones of any generation don't play DivX/Xvid without transcoding. If the iphone didn't have the processing powering, then that would be an ok excuse -- but it has more than enough power. What makes it worse is, that unlike most gaps in the iphones software, this one is going to be hard to patch by 3rd party developers (I Know Zodttd is trying . . .) because they aren't able to make use of the hardware decoding chip.

Secondly, still the same very low quality camera and not front-facing as many had hoped . . .
    Apple doesn't even support DivX/Xvid on the Mac (it's provided by a Third Party), why would they extend this support to the iPhone? Besides H.264 does a fine job.

Also, just because Apple didn't do something you wanted them to, doesn't make it an omission on their part.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2008-06-20 at 02:23 PM.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Here's my take on it...

My blackberry just broke...thought about 2g or get a substandard phone for a month or two and wait for the 3g. Decided against that because of many reasons.

1) Waste of money to buy a replacement phone to hold me over until the 3g comes out
    2) I don't use edge, nor will I use 3g....I'm good to go with wifi.
    3) I already have a GPS in my Jeep
    4) I like the headphone jack being recessed
    5) I won't be forced into a 3 year contract. Besides I have an unlimited incoming/outgoing calling minutes grandfathered contract not offered anymore and only pay $45/month + 911/tax. I'll be with that contract until my cellphone provider goes out of business.

Besides all that, I'm sure the 3g phones without a contract will cost more than the 2g ones in a side by side basis.

Futhermore, I'm not dissapointed in the 3g phones. All it was meant to be was basically a first gen iphone with enhanced capability. ie the gps/3g. Sure they could have added a whole lot more to it, but why? Make all the money you can on selling the 3g model...which is more than enough of a selling point. Then wait a few years before releasing iphone 360

Cheers

Well if their iphones are anything like their Ipods, then I bet they are "reserving" all the cool features that the people want for the later and greater 3rd, 4th, 5th generation iphones. They probably don't want to make the "perfect" iphone yet until people have owned the whole collection of generation iphones like most of us do including me. Damn they have so much of my money right now.

Thanks

Haha, I always love this kind of thinking, although misguided. With new technologies and new ideas, come new devices. Did Sony "reserve" Blu-ray until they sold all the standard DVDs they could? No, the technology didn't exist.

As for Apple, if you knew Steve Jobs well enough, you'd know he does want to make the perfect iPhone, and he will not add any feature to it, until he can make that feature perfect. If Apple had its vision, there would be no third party programs for Macs.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungHustla View Post
    wow...
    U don't Have a Social Security Number?
    smh....And how old are you?
    Don't make no d*** sense
    yeah i dont have ss#. and im 23. unfortunately the laws of this country wont let you get all the papers you need even if you came here with good plans and intentions because of "other" immigrants who have nothing better to do then sucking out all they can from the country and not even bothering to learn english. (omg how i hate those people) so thats the story, they wont give me ss#, green card, citizenship... only thing they let me to have is tax id number so i can pay taxes... usa has seriously very very bad immigration laws. damn get rid of all people who dont do anything else but collecting benefits and food stampsetc etc because i want to get new iphone!

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Haha, I always love this kind of thinking, although misguided. With new technologies and new ideas, come new devices. Did Sony "reserve" Blu-ray until they sold all the standard DVDs they could? No, the technology didn't exist.

As for Apple, if you knew Steve Jobs well enough, you'd know he does want to make the perfect iPhone, and he will not add any feature to it, until he can make that feature perfect. If Apple had its vision, there would be no third party programs for Macs.
    Yeah I really wasn't referring to the new technology that has yet to be discovered, I was really just referring to how hard Apple finds it to listen to the buyers and add a front facing camera, a better pixel camera, added features that other smart phones already include such as a built in video camera. Hell even picture messaging, video sending, and MMS. I'm sure there will be a time in the future where phones can send you a cheeseburger with a soda but I'm not even complaining about that. When it all comes down to it, Apple is a business company just like any other one. Why add all the features that your customers want at one time when you can release them a little a time. If there is a hack to get a videorecorder then obviously it is possible for Apple to include it in their iphones.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Godfather3 View Post
    Yeah I really wasn't referring to the new technology that has yet to be discovered, I was really just referring to how hard Apple finds it to listen to the buyers and add a front facing camera, a better pixel camera, added features that other smart phones already include such as a built in video camera. Hell even picture messaging, video sending, and MMS. I'm sure there will be a time in the future where phones can send you a cheeseburger with a soda but I'm not even complaining about that. When it all comes down to it, Apple is a business company just like any other one. Why add all the features that your customers want at one time when you can release them a little a time. If there is a hack to get a videorecorder then obviously it is possible for Apple to include it in their iphones.
    exactly what i said.

release the phone with as little upgrades as possible/necessary........and everyone will sell their 2g phones for the 3g feature. 3g is all that is needed for them to sell OUT. however...next gen they add a front cam ... better resolution etc etc....and they have a new product that will sell millions.

it's all about business...end of story. apple could give a less fk about our requests if they are still making billions on a phone with the only upgrade necessary to get everyone's attention...3g..... release the features we REALLY want to make more billions in the next gen.

That's business......... love it or leave technology

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heineken77 For This Useful Post:

dale1v (2008-06-21)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heineken77 View Post
    exactly what i said.

release the phone with as little upgrades as possible/necessary........and everyone will sell their 2g phones for the 3g feature. 3g is all that is needed for them to sell OUT. however...next gen they add a front cam ... better resolution etc etc....and they have a new product that will sell millions.

it's all about business...end of story. apple could give a less fk about our requests if they are still making billions on a phone with the only upgrade necessary to get everyone's attention...3g..... release the features we REALLY want to make more billions in the next gen.

That's business......... love it or leave technology
    Exactly. No matter how much Apple decorate it, it isn't the massive jump that people like to say...it's marketing...and it's working.

Default Your right
    Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungHustla View Post
    u need a VIDEO camera on the front hence HARDware, for that to work, not FIRMware. A software update can't automatically install a camera on the front of a device. And what about a flash for the camera, that's what people have been looking for and that looks like it won't be on this phone either, Apple fell short IMO
    Yea the main thing everyone has been waiting for is the Flash.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yeah Apple will always give us a little nibble of their candy and will keep teasing us until we get fed up. All purely business.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again:

1) GPS...worthless, I already have a stand alone gps in my jeep already. Any cell phone gps is worthless. I had a 8800 blackberry or whatever the top of the line model was. GPS..never used once. To top that off the data usage u will use will cost you BIG bucks. So this addition is worthless

2) 3G...... ???? ... all I can say is .. WOWWWW.... WHO CARES. When I'm at home I will surf the internet UNLIMITED and download UNLIMITED via speeds 10x faster than 3G. When I'm at a bar with friends, iPhone turns into a 'cell phone'. Voice calls only.... When I'm driving .. no need to browse. When I go to work, no time to browse. When I go to a coffee shop during lunch break...cry me a river...I don't need no extreme speeds.. this is 'casual' browsing just to pass time by. What is the point of 3g? I don't get it. It helps me in no way, and everyone that I've spoken to that I know feel the same way.

So bottom line. Those crying about the 3g phone not having all these extra upgrades. Live with it. All this is, is the 2g iphone with 3g capability and a few little goodies added in to entice you to waste more money. Apple is NOT making the iPhone 2nd gen. So with all the requests you hoped would have been added...if they're not added in the 2nd generation iphone, THEN you can whine about it. But for the time being, this is like iPhone generation 1.5...

Let me give you whiny babies another example:

It's like buying a TV with the model 5080 that only displays 720p, or buying the 5010 model that displays 1080p. Same generation, just that the 5010 is the upgraded model with better features. You won't get what you 'really' want until the next gen comes out.......... end of story.

As someone already said. 3g is a marketing ploy...AND IT'S WORKING! End of story. Way to go apple, double your money! If I knew the iPhone would be a hot product and KNEW 3g was the future, I'd release it first as a 2G model...make MILLIONS. Then I'd release the 3g model that was probably planned to be released just after the 2g was released, but was never announced so they can make WAY MORE MILLIONS. After this novelty wears off, they'll sell the iPhone 2 which will make more millions. Like it or not, thats business. I've always laughed at the requests for front camera for video calling etc. Sure, without front video camera, how can u really do video calling..whether you have 3G or not? You can't. That's why apple will wait until the next gen to impliment that, because now they will just give you a 'taste' of the 3g for browsing, so all the hundreds of thousands of suckers that want to get '3g' just so they can be 'with the best out there'........... and when the next gen comes out all you sheep will sell your 3g phones on eBay to get the 'latest and greatest'. You think this hasn't been planned out already???

There's so much market research that goes on behind the scenes that so many people think that they will cry about something and get what they want. They don't truly realize that these companies care NOTHING about what you want. All they care about is 'if we do it this way, will we make the most money, and will there be any way to improve our product in the future to bring the same people back to us to give us even more money than we made the first time'. End of story

I know for most of you this is obvious. But some people's comments that I've read, have been almost in shock that certain features were not added. There's NOTHING to be in shock about at all. This is pure and simple reality in business. Learn it, and if you REALLY want to show a company that they can't treat you like sheeps, DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT, and that is the ONLY time they will listen. Unfortunately, the amount of sheeps out there far outweigh the ones that want to stand up and 'make' the corporation listen to us, so in the end the big business wins...each and every time. Read the history books

Lesson over. Please ship me $20 each to [email protected] via paypal for this lesson and hopefully then I'll be able to afford an iPhone 3G

Thank you!!

1) GPS...worthless, I already have a stand alone gps in my jeep already. Any cell phone gps is worthless. I had a 8800 blackberry or whatever the top of the line model was. GPS..never used once. To top that off the data usage u will use will cost you BIG bucks. So this addition is worthless

2) 3G...... ???? ... all I can say is .. WOWWWW.... WHO CARES. When I'm at home I will surf the internet UNLIMITED and download UNLIMITED via speeds 10x faster than 3G. When I'm at a bar with friends, iPhone turns into a 'cell phone'. Voice calls only.... When I'm driving .. no need to browse. When I go to work, no time to browse. When I go to a coffee shop during lunch break...cry me a river...I don't need no extreme speeds.. this is 'casual' browsing just to pass time by. What is the point of 3g? I don't get it. It helps me in no way, and everyone that I've spoken to that I know feel the same way.

So bottom line. Those crying about the 3g phone not having all these extra upgrades. Live with it. All this is, is the 2g iphone with 3g capability and a few little goodies added in to entice you to waste more money. Apple is NOT making the iPhone 2nd gen. So with all the requests you hoped would have been added...if they're not added in the 2nd generation iphone, THEN you can whine about it. But for the time being, this is like iPhone generation 1.5...

It's like buying a TV with the model 5080 that only displays 720p, or buying the 5010 model that displays 1080p. Same generation, just that the 5010 is the upgraded model with better features. You won't get what you 'really' want until the next gen comes out.......... end of story.

As someone already said. 3g is a marketing ploy...AND IT'S WORKING! End of story. Way to go apple, double your money! If I knew the iPhone would be a hot product and KNEW 3g was the future, I'd release it first as a 2G model...make MILLIONS. Then I'd release the 3g model that was probably planned to be released just after the 2g was released, but was never announced so they can make WAY MORE MILLIONS. After this novelty wears off, they'll sell the iPhone 2 which will make more millions. Like it or not, thats business. I've always laughed at the requests for front camera for video calling etc. Sure, without front video camera, how can u really do video calling..whether you have 3G or not? You can't. That's why apple will wait until the next gen to impliment that, because now they will just give you a 'taste' of the 3g for browsing, so all the hundreds of thousands of suckers that want to get '3g' just so they can be 'with the best out there'........... and when the next gen comes out all you sheep will sell your 3g phones on eBay to get the 'latest and greatest'. You think this hasn't been planned out already???

There's so much market research that goes on behind the scenes that so many people think that they will cry about something and get what they want. They don't truly realize that these companies care NOTHING about what you want. All they care about is 'if we do it this way, will we make the most money, and will there be any way to improve our product in the future to bring the same people back to us to give us even more money than we made the first time'. End of story

I know for most of you this is obvious. But some people's comments that I've read, have been almost in shock that certain features were not added. There's NOTHING to be in shock about at all. This is pure and simple reality in business. Learn it, and if you REALLY want to show a company that they can't treat you like sheeps, DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT, and that is the ONLY time they will listen. Unfortunately, the amount of sheeps out there far outweigh the ones that want to stand up and 'make' the corporation listen to us, so in the end the big business wins...each and every time. Read the history books

Lesson over. Please ship me $20 each to [email protected] via paypal for this lesson and hopefully then I'll be able to afford an iPhone 3G

Thank you!!
    Amen to that brother! We should should sticky this post so that this debate can be settled. STRICKLY BUSINESS!
    If I helped you please hit the THANKS button

hehe you're right Godfather.

It's funny though, after seeing this post this morning that I made lastnight, I didn't realize that I posted pretty much the same thing a couple weeks ago above hehe....wow I drank a lot lastnight LOL

Thanks

Ish.
    Happy: with the design, 3G, and GPS.
    Unhappy: no video recording or upgraded camera, 32GB.
    Would be nice if it had: Front Camera, Intelliscreen thing, a few extra apps.

But what can you do, im waiting for a 32GB or a 64GB iPhone.
    64GB iPhone would be 1337, but still a few years away.

The very fact that there is a second iPhone disappoints me. Apple said the iPhone was a revolutionary phone, and revolutionary phones don't have to be upgraded. The second gen iPhone may now lie next to the 2nd gen Razr, the 2nd gen Blackberry, etc.

And fine, fine, Apple ****** up. They do alot. But if you're going to upgrade it, make it worthwhile! Who cares about GPS that you'll never use? Who cares about AT&T internet that runs your bill up higher, whithout a noticeably boost in speed. Why don't you add stuff that people care about, for example, idk...

MMS?
    Last edited by GregTheWang; 2008-07-03 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    Exactly. No matter how much Apple decorate it, it isn't the massive jump that people like to say...it's marketing...and it's working.
    This deserves a quote.

can't believe they didn't increase the screen res

and the phone isn't really 199. Its really 559 if you count the additional fees over the original iphone over their lifetimes, not including activation or upgrade fee because thats either same or less than the original phone.

Also, I only had to pay 9 bucks a month to be added to my family plan. Where as the 3g requires 39 bucks a month to be added to my plan. I smell ripoff on ATT part.
    Last edited by loujob; 2008-07-03 at 02:50 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes! The only things that seem to be upgraded are 3G, GPS and some extended battery life (not much of an improvment). The store activation and the upgrade program stinks! The people are getting the most are the ones that do not have an iPhone and in the long run they are getting the shaft too (were i am at the 3G network will not be up untill a month or 2 after the release date). It is not that big of a upgrade just a different marketing program.

Thank you!!
    If you do not think the 3G is not that great and the GPS is worthless and it is a marketing ploy then why are you asking for people to give you $20 dollars so you can hopefully get one? A little contradictory heh?
    Last edited by JAG2621; 2008-07-03 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2621 View Post
    Yes! The only things that seem to be upgraded are 3G, GPS and some extended battery life (not much of an improvment). The store activation and the upgrade program stinks! The people are getting the most are the ones that do not have an iPhone and in the long run they are getting the shaft too (were i am at the 3G network will not be up untill a month or 2 after the release date). It is not that big of a upgrade just a different marketing program.
    Agreed

If you do not think the 3G is not that great and the GPS is worthless and it is a marketing ploy then why are you asking for people to give you $20 dollars so you can hopefully get one? A little contradictory heh?
    hehe ya, thought that would fit in a nicely. Inform everyone why this product is actually not big of a deal, and explain that it doesn't have to be because it's really not a true second gen product. However, I'm a sheep too, I want the latest product because I'm a sucker for marketing ploys :P If they say I need it, I always think that I probably do when it comes down to the impulse purchase hehehe

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed

hehe ya, thought that would fit in a nicely. Inform everyone why this product is actually not big of a deal, and explain that it doesn't have to be because it's really not a true second gen product. However, I'm a sheep too, I want the latest product because I'm a sucker for marketing ploys :P If they say I need it, I always think that I probably do when it comes down to the impulse purchase hehehe
    I understand that. I just cant see signing another contract when my 1st Gen does basicly the same things. I checked my AT&T account and i am avalible for an upgrade so it makes me think but i do not think i will for a while. The main reason i would upgrade would be to a 16GB. May just wait for the 32Gb.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 2008-07-03 at 05:42 PM.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast