Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhones only availble in stores?

iPhone? More like MyPhone navalynt's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New iPhones only availble in stores?
    After being down since last night the Apple store is finally back up and has the 3G iPhone listed. While the WWDC announcement was that the iPhone 3G would be available on 7/11 they have it listed with some information (as expected).

What is curious is that there is no buy option through the site. I had expected to see it up today with a "Not in Stock" message or a message about being available on 7/11. The only buying options they have listed are Apple or AT&T retail locations.

Does this mean they are going to try and curb the unlocking community by making you activate at the store with AT&T for the 3G models?

ROFL! 99% no. that would eliminate SO much business for Apple.

Thanks

seriously, this is why the price is so cheap.

it's either buy at this price and activate in store, or get the phone free with a seperate agreement from at&t (like other phones) and sign up to a 18month/2 year contract.

i have a feeling that it is going to be the same as before, just with a much much cheaper price tag. its a smart move from apple and will boost apple + service providers sales.

everyone is going to have an iphone.

do note that the 8gb isnt available in white. i think in just over a month the 8gb will be rubbed off (like the 4gb last time) and we will have 16 + 32 gb iphones, both available in black + white.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teufel657 View Post
    ROFL! 99% no. that would eliminate SO much business for Apple.
    Would it though? All those iPhones sold without activating with AT&T were ok for Apple because they still made a s**tload of money off the devices themselves. With dropping the prices so much I would assume that they are counting on the kick-backs from AT&T to make up for lost revenue so forcing customers to buy from the retail locations where they can get a valid credit card to abuse would make sense.

There is a HUGE world-wide community of people wanting the 3G iPhones. I don't think Apple would care much about the little bit of lost business from those people who didn't want to take a drive to a store or wanted to activate the iPhone on another network.

From the Apple website:

Thanks

Im getting it! Selling my phone for 250$ Then buying the 16GB
    EDM

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Well,I hope they will just sell it without contract.... I hope,not everyone will have an iPhone !

Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPie View Post
    Well,I hope they will just sell it without contract.... I hope,not everyone will have an iPhone !
    As stated on the Apple website under the ad:

Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.

they done what i was thinking i even posted a question in MMI asking how they are going to sell it. apple dont do this to us.

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

As stated on the Apple website under the ad:

Based on 3G and EDGE testing. Actual speeds vary by site conditions. Based on iPhone 3G (8GB) and first-generation iPhone (8GB) purchases. Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.
    So that means,that I cant buy an iPhone withouth a 2 year AT&T contract?

good thing i sold my iphone for 525 dollars on ebay last weekend. now i have plenty of moneys for the 16gb.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple iPie View Post
    So that means,that I cant buy an iPhone withouth a 2 year AT&T contract?
    It's the same idea as the first iPhone. Buy the phone, go home, sign up yourself!

Thanks

It's the same idea as the first iPhone. Buy the phone, go home, sign up yourself!
    My prediction is that Apple/AT&T will be much more aggressive with charging fees to your credit card if you do not actually activate your iPhone within so many days of buying it. That could be why the only options available (as of now) for the July 11th launch are retail stores and phone ordering. That way you have a live person confirming with you that if you don't activate you'll have to surrender a few hundred bucks on your credit card.

I know a lot of people used one-time only credit card numbers generated by PayPal or their bank when purchasing the first gen iPhones to avoid these types of fees. I just wish they would put two buying options online, with and without contract. Let people who don't want AT&T pay a reasonable premium to buy the iPhone unlocked. Maybe they will once they are not exclusive to AT&T.

I bet you will be redurected to att web site for activation if you order threw apple.com. because apple stores will have att kiosks in them now so. I bet you'll have to active thew the net or in store.

The press releases aren't as black&white as they should be, but it certainly seems that you will NOT be getting one of these without first getting a contract. There's a reason the apple store says it will only be available in-store or through AT&T. Hopefully it will be possible to purchase a phone and immediately back out of the agreement for under $200, otherwise it's not worth it in my books.

well even now with at&t you can pay 175.00 and end a two year contract so pay 299.99 for the phone and 175.00 to back out of the contract and you got a iphone with know contract and you can use on t-mobile. so you can have a 16gig for 574.99 or a 8 gig for 374.99