Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Backup Questions...Ghost Backup of Iphone?

Default Iphone Backup Questions...Ghost Backup of Iphone?
    Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this...

I am considering upgrading to 1.1.4 from 1.1.1 with an unlocked iPhone. I would like to make a complete backup of the iPhone's file system first before I do this. I know its possible to make a ghost image of a hard-drive or flash key using Ghost8 or Ghost10...but is it possible to make an image of the IPhone? I really have no idea what kind of filesystem is used on the Iphone (i.e. NTFS, FAT, or Extended)...or if it even matters to ghost. Has anyone tried this, or is this just nonsense?? I have a lot of experience with Ghost and ideally I think this would work if the PC's motherboard would recognize the Iphone as a removable flash drive.

Also..does anyone know what the iTunes backup does??? Does it backup any of the applications, or just songs and user settings? What kind of format is the backup in...does it make a compressed archive when the backup is completed?? How long does the backup process take?

Thanks for all the help. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Athabasca

I dont think I can answer the first question, the second I think i can tho..

Itunes backs up things like photo's, SMS conversations, contacts, Web-Apps, app placement...all that kinda stuff. It backs up most of Appl apps, but no 3rd party apps obviously. It backs-up everytime you sync.

The only problem is, when you upgrade, i dont think it will let you use your back up, seeing that your jumbing from such a different FW. I remeber when I downgraded from .4 to .1, it didnt let me use it..It said it wasnt compatible or something =(

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Safari For This Useful Post:

Athabasca (2008-06-07)