Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can iPhones overcharge?

Default Can iPhones overcharge?
    I put it to charge at around 8 or 9 PM and fell asleep (in accident b/c I usually pull the iphone out of the charger) and woke up somewhere around 9AM...meaning 12 hours of charge.

I used the usb comp charger that Apple provides you with at default.

Now 2 regular discusssions between people are as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Apple has said in their "maintenance & care" FAQs regarding the battery, that once the level reaches 100%, you should remove it from the power supply. Leaving it connected for hours on end at 100% will overcharge and overheat it.
    or

It's okay b/c it's Li-Ion and this means that Apple provided internal mechanisms to stop the iPhone from overcharging
    Which is true?

iPhone? More like MyPhone bunnywhi7e's Avatar
    Thanks

I stopped leaving my phone overnight to charge. The minimum your phone should be charging is about 2 hours thats it. It is know that if you leave your phone charging overnight for a lot of hours eventually battery will get weaker. Also other problems that you might run into like overheating and hardware failures. It's better to be safe than sorry.

you could have a bad charger. mine is on the brinks. Ill have a low batt, but when i connect it, it says full charge, but i know it isnt. when i connect to my pc, it starts charging.

@bunny: I know the minimum, but what's the max? Also when I woke up my phone was pretty cold and everything seemed fine.

@question: I think the charger's fine. My question was if this mistake would have overcharged my phone or not. :/

We constantly leave our demo iphones on the docks just about all day and all night. The 3 demos we have now have been on display since the 1st launch. You figure w/ the daily abuse of customers running all programs, sitting in chargers all night and day they would be jacked up but they're still going strong.

Going strong in the docks or without docks?

iPhone? More like MyPhone bunnywhi7e's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seungki View Post
    @bunny: I know the minimum, but what's the max? Also when I woke up my phone was pretty cold and everything seemed fine.

@question: I think the charger's fine. My question was if this mistake would have overcharged my phone or not. :/
    Well I think the maximum is 2 hours...if your battery is completely drained 2 hours will be enough to get you to 100%.

i dont think they can over charge using an OEM apple charger. if your using an aftermarket one, it will probabaly keep charging after the full charge.

This thread emulates the same/similar scenario in my first post at the top.

I'm still confused as to who is right and who is not.

Well to clarify to those that do not know, Li-Ion batteries can overcharge. I used to charge my laptop, without ever removing it from the charger, going three months, my laptop works fine, but the battery is shot. I can't run my laptop without connecting it to the wall...

So as far as iPhone batteries go, I guess 2 hours would be a good amount of time to charge.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I personally feel that they cannot overcharge. I have been leaving it to charge everynight and my battery life is still going strong. My iPhone can last for about 2 days with a fair amount of usage and almost a week with minimal use.

On a side note, Macbooks cannot overcharge and using a little logic I'm guessing Apple products cannot overcharge?

Hmm.. I'm starting to think my battery is shot because half the battery life is gone after 5 hours. Any ideas??

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shoeprincess731 View Post
    Hmm.. I'm starting to think my battery is shot because half the battery life is gone after 5 hours. Any ideas??
    What programs have you installed? Open SSH kills the battery, wifi and bluetooth etc... as well as Insomnia.

Yeah I think it shot a little.... ****.

Normally i would have 3% gone by the end of the day, but now I think I lost 8-10%

i leave mine on the charger all night since i got it *about a month* seems the same to me, never hot or anything.

If you really want to know you can go to Howstuffworks "Rechargeable Batteries"

Unless your charger is extremely old I doubt it will overcharge your battery.. it would be dumb not to invent something to prevent overcharging, people are so busy these days and leave there phones plugged in all day/night.

By the way SSH doesn't kill the battery, don't believe me? Read http://blog.psmxy.org/pkg-info/openssh/