Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Calling all experts!

Default Calling all experts!
    Hi,
    I've done all the searching I could to no avail. And this problem crosses several boards so I just put it here in General, sorry.

Here's the situation, and I will try to give you the short version.

1. Bought refurbished iPhone from AT&T. (with 1 year warranty)

2. Did it all with Ziphone 2.6

3. Everything worked with my T-Mobile sim for a couple months.

4. Now always get "No Service" with very intermittent episodes of temporary service.

5. Found out here that Ziphone is bad.

6. Restored to factory then uses WinPwn.

7. Got everything working but still "No Service"

8. Wife has an iPhone with AT&T (virgin).

9. I put her sim in my iPhone and guess what "No Service"!

10. Me thinks my iPhone has a problem not related to unlocking/jailbreaking,

11. What to do next? This is where you guys come in with fantastic ideas.

Should I go back to factory and put my wife's sim card in and go to the Apple store and get a new one? Or should I take it down there with no sim card?

I was thinking of taking it in with her sim card, but do you think it will matter that I didn't complete the restore process on iTunes with her sim in my iPhone. Currently it wants to re-activate her sim. I mean it sees her sim and her phone number and knows that it is an AT&T number and plan yet it seems to want to go through the process anyway and I am not sure what that would do to her account, or to her sim, meaning if her sim will work back in her iPhone?

Thanks for your help!!!

PS Or do I use a hack to only "Activate", not unlock or jailbreak, and put her sim in and take it in to Apple like that. Is there such a beast?

PPS And, if I do get Apple to replace it, do I ask if I can wait for the new iPhone? I wonder if the Apple store still has any original iPhones?
    Last edited by br8thw8; 2008-06-04 at 07:16 PM.

Try this:

Open itunes, go to Preferences > Syncing and delete any backup you have showing.

Download iliberty+

Put you iphone into DFU mode:

1. Plug iphone into computer...Hold the power and home buttons down (the iphone will power off after about 10 seconds, but keep holding those buttons down)
    2. After the iPhone powers off, (black screen) release the power button (but keep holding the home button down)
    3. After about 20 seconds or so, Itunes should see you iphone. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPhone is in DFU mode.
    4. Now iTunes should see your iPhone and should ask you to automatically restore its firmware.

Then Run iliberty + to jailbreak,activate and unlock.
    Last edited by hiflyer; 2008-06-04 at 07:27 PM.

@hiflyer

I can get the original firmware back on, I'm wondering how I can take this back to Apple for a replacement, in what condition should I put it into. I wonder if anyone has successfully returned a previously unlocked and jailbroken iPhone to Apple.

Does the activation of the iPhone tie a particular sim card to a particular iPhone?

Or are you saying that if I may not have a hardware problem and that iLiberty+ will fix the "No Service" problem?

I would hate to delete the backup files, maybe there is a way to move them out of iTunes so that I can move them back in later?

Quote Originally Posted by br8thw8 View Post
    @hiflyer

I can get the original firmware back on, I'm wondering how I can take this back to Apple for a replacement, in what condition should I put it into. I wonder if anyone has successfully returned a previously unlocked and jailbroken iPhone to Apple.

Does the activation of the iPhone tie a particular sim card to a particular iPhone?

Or are you saying that if I may not have a hardware problem and that iLiberty+ will fix the "No Service" problem?

I would hate to delete the backup files, maybe there is a way to move them out of iTunes so that I can move them back in later?
    1. Since you bought it from AT&T, I think you would have the work with them for warranty

2. No

3. Yes

4. If you don't want to delete backup files, then after the restore, setup your phone as new.

It is important to use DFU instead of just restore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quick answer - DFU restore... then use iLiberty to re-jailbreak/unlock... set the phone up as NEW in iTunes. If you still have issues DFU restore AGAIN and bring back to Apple for warranty.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

br8thw8 (2008-06-06)

OK, that's two people now saying to try iLiberty. I will give it a shot and I'm going to do this on a different computer so I won't have any previous iPhone backup in iTunes.

I'll report my finding shortly...

Thanks

BTW, do you guys unlock/jailbreak with the original iPhone sim card or do you use the sim card that you are going to use in it, in my case my T-Mobile sim card?

Or should I use the wife's active and working sim from her AT&T connected iPhone?
    Last edited by br8thw8; 2008-06-04 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I used my t-mobile sim

Thanks

I must admit, I dozed off reading this
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Did you try flashing the baseband with Bootneuter?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DoerrFan For This Useful Post:

br8thw8 (2008-06-06)

Well I just tried iLiberty+ ver 1.3 for Windows and it seems to be working. I mean it is up and running and I got my T-Mobile service back! I wonder what iLiberty+ does differently than WinPwn? But it has only been about 15 minutes so I'll have to see if I run into any problems for the rest of the day.

The one problem I have noticed is that Cydia isn't working. The first time I ran it it says that it is a really old version and I need to update it. I first tried to update all (40 items) but I don't think it liked that, so I just updated Cydia, it went the through the process like it worked but everytime I tap on it it just goes back to the springboard. I'm reset it and turned it off and on but the same deal. Another way to get Installer on?

I should have mentioned to you that after the jailbreak, before you try to refresh cydia is to go to settings, general, autolock and set autolock to never.

With all the updates that cydia had, it take several minutes and with default autolock it locks and never finishes.

Once you have cydia running, you can install "installer" from cydia.

Try powering the iphone off and restarting and set autolock to never.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hiflyer For This Useful Post:

br8thw8 (2008-06-06)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

like hiflyer said... it takes 3-5 minutes for all 40 items to update and it's a good idea to touch your screen every 45 seconds so it doesn't autolock. Then after it's done you can go in and install Installer.

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Did you try flashing the baseband with Bootneuter?
    @DoerrFan

Yes, I didn't mention it in my orig msg, but I did put 4.6 on using Bootneuter.

Also, I spoke to soon. Lost the signal again. Plus, I noticed that for the short time I had a signal and the Edge E was there, that I couldn't connect to Edge, so no weather update, no stocks, no internet, no Youtube.
    And I did make sure my Edge was set to internet2.voicestream.com - since I have the full internet option on my T-Mobile account.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking of taking the phone to the Apple store.

Just want make sure that they won't noticed any of my unlock/jailbreaking hijinx!

Well, the weirdness just continues...

I head down to the Apple store with my iPhone in waiting for restore mode and with the wife's sim card in. During the 10 mile drive to the Apple store I keep checking to make sure my iPhone shows "No Service" - and it does until I get to the store! Then it picks up full bars on AT&T! How am I going to explain that it's not working to the Genius Bar? The are busy so I have to make an appt for later. I noticed that my iPhone went back to "No Service". So to make a short story long, later on it picks up full signal again and keeps it! So I pop out the wife's ATT sim and in goes my T-Mobile sim and I still have full bars! And it lasts a good long time. So I am curious and I slide for emergency and see if I can make a normal phone call and I can! I have them call me to see if that works and it does! I just can't get to the springboard since it is still in the DFU mode. So apparently it is still unlocked. Which means if I take it in to the Apple store and they do the "pop in a T-Mobile sim" trick they will know that it has been unlocked. Not good.
    Does anyone know how to "really" put the phone back into factory settings (aka LOCKED)?

Anyhow, I go home and try to use the custom firmware I made with WinPwn earlier (which worked then) and it fails this time with some weird Itunes error!

So back to iLiberty+ 1.3 and that works and I am amazed that my signal has come back with my T-Mobile sim and it has stayed on for a couple of hours now. Has it finally been fixed? But my evening is not perfect since I still cannot get Cydia to work. I press on Cydia, it goes in for not even 1 second (can't even completely display the Cydia screen) then pops right back into the Springboard. I tried iLiberty again, this time selecting Installer under the Adavanced tab and the Payloads Available on Repo tab but it doesn't install Installer. In fact it doesn't install anything I select on the Advanced tab. Only Cydia, umm, which doesn't work.

I grow weary of this. I spent practically all day on this issue (yes, I skipped out on work today) and I gotta go into work tomorrow.
    Last edited by br8thw8; 2008-06-05 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yay! Success, finally!

I tried to put back on the custom firmware that I created using WinPwn but it failed with an "Unknown Error" from iTunes. Weird since it worked before.

So I went back and used iLiberty+ again and voila, success!
    I got my signal back and it has been going strong for about 2 days (knock on wood).

Thanks to all that helped my along the way - that's what makes these forums work.
    I did click your "Thanks" button for all those that were helpful