Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: wifi won't auto-connect with 1.1.2 - any solutions?

Default wifi won't auto-connect with 1.1.2 - any solutions?
    After an upgrade to 1.1.2, wifi will not auto-connect, it requires me to go and select a wireless network manually.

* my iphone is not jailbroken or unlocked
    * 1.1.1 worked great - seems to be a regression with 1.1.2
    * repros somewhat randomly (not everytime I wake it up, but almost?)
    * repros even if I stay within range of the previously selected wireless network
    * repros regardless of what the "Ask to Join Networks" setting is set to
    * repros for all wifi networks i've tried (> 3)
    * repros even after turning off (not sleeping) and turning on

i couldn't find any posts re: this in the right forum, just this one:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...t=wifi+connect

so i know that i'm not the only one experiencing this... is anyone else? anyone find a solution?

Same problem here... anyone??

same problem here too...anyone???

what i have tried:
    1)resetting network settings
    2)turn airplane mode on, reboot the phone and turn plane mode off
    3)downgrading back to 1.1.1, jailbreak and unlock 1.1.2

pleaseee help!!!

Thanks

Wifi will only auto-connect if the server is already in the cache. (Known networks). The only way to have a known network is if you've stored your WEP or WPA password along with the SSID.

Has all that been done?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Wifi will only auto-connect if the server is already in the cache. (Known networks). The only way to have a known network is if you've stored your WEP or WPA password along with the SSID.

Has all that been done?
    thanks for your prompt reply...please pardon my ignorance but i m not sure what SSID is....

and my problem is that because I am not using a router but using my laptop's ad hoc connection...and I have NOT changed the settings in my pc before and after the issue has happened....

so how do i store the password along w/ the SSID?

and now I dont see the "forget the network" button anymore i guess this is because the server is not known(i.e. not stored)??

so how do i get the phone to store my network information again??

thanks for all the help

EDIT: here is all the text i extracted from my com.apple.wifi.plist
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>AllowEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Custom network settings</key>
    <dict/>
    <key>JoinMode</key>
    <string>Automatic</string>
    <key>List of known networks</key>
    <array/>
    </dict>
    </plist>

and it says nth under the list of known networks??
    Last edited by zevot; 2008-02-06 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks

Ya, the "Forget Network" would only show up if you've made a successful connection to a server. The SSID is basically the name of the Router you're connecting to. So do you simply have your laptop set up to share the internet connection? How does it assign IPs to new connections? DHCP or statically?

Ya, the "Forget Network" would only show up if you've made a successful connection to a server. The SSID is basically the name of the Router you're connecting to. So do you simply have your laptop set up to share the internet connection? How does it assign IPs to new connections? DHCP or statically?
    yes I simply have my laptop set up to share the internet connection...i have been using this way to connect my phone to internet(e.g. installing apps in installer, surfing in mobilesafari) since november last year....

it should assign by DHCP....i have no problem going on to the internet..it's just that the phone won't store the SSID information and won't automatically rejoins the network(that i have joined before)

so how do i make it remember the networks again...thanks
    Last edited by zevot; 2008-02-06 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zevot View Post
    it should assign by DHCP....i have no problem going on to the internet..it's just that the phone won't store the SSID information and won't automatically rejoins the network(that i have joined before)

so how do i make it remember the networks again...thanks
    It won't automatically rejoin, because your cache would have been wiped when you did the upgrade. Once your iPhone successfully connects and is assigned an IP, it should store the information for auto-connect from that point on.

It won't automatically rejoin, because your cache would have been wiped when you did the upgrade. Once your iPhone successfully connects and is assigned an IP, it should store the information for auto-connect from that point on.
    yes but the point is no matter how many times i m connected to the network and given a proper IP so that i can go on to the internet...it just keeps on asking me for the password again and again next time when i wake it up or enter the area....

it's just not storing the networks anymore

thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zevot View Post
    yes but the point is no matter how many times i m connected to the network and given a proper IP so that i can go on to the internet...it just keeps on asking me for the password again and again next time when i wake it up or enter the area....

it's just not storing the networks anymore

thanks
    Hrm... have you tried a static connnection?

This might be along the same lines where APN info wasn't being saved after upgrading to 1.1.2. I'll take a look any my cache, but it'll have to wait til I get home.

Hrm... have you tried a static connnection?

This might be along the same lines where APN info wasn't being saved after upgrading to 1.1.2. I'll take a look any my cache, but it'll have to wait til I get home.
    i have tried that...it just retains the static ip when it's disconnected...still not storing my WEP password and the network names..

and I have tried it on unsecured network....still wont remember the network for me

thanks....i will wait...!