Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: a battery question , please i need help

Default a battery question , please i need help
    hi, i just had my new 16gb iphone but the charging is taking too long , even longer my 8gb iphone ..it took about an hour and a half to charge the battery fully , please guys help me is this normal or what,also i wanted to consult you about a external portable battery to buy,i have seen this one and wanted to buy it but i can't know how many hours of video does it achieve before runing out of juice , thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ziuszius View Post
    hi, i just had my new 16gb iphone but the charging is taking too long , even longer my 8gb iphone ..it took about an hour and a half to charge the battery fully , please guys help me is this normal or what,also i wanted to consult you about a external portable battery to buy,i have seen this one and wanted to buy it but i can't know how many hours of video does it achieve before runing out of juice , thanks
    Umm whats the name of the battery? might help us.

Second If you completely kill the battery (I constantly do) I can take 45 min - 1 Hour to completely charge. If that was your first charging then yes it probably took longer to charge, usually gets faster after that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone prouddad.215's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats a normal time for a very low battery. If its jailbroken, there is what I think is called "akwoah batter charger" or something close to that. Downlaod it. It shows a battery and the actual amount or % of charge it has, and all you have to do is hit the home button while its plugged in, and you can see it.
    Now, I bought a battery pack for it off e**y, and you just put aa batteries in it, and connect it to the iphone, and it keeps power going to the iphone. Its good for hours and hours of use if watching movies or listening to music, and it can actually charge the iphone if you done have access to charge it the normal way. It was around $7 including shipping, and its by far one of the best items I bought for the iphone yet.
    I also bought a 1800mhz battery i will be installing soon, so power lasts a little longer.
    Hope this helps.

lol actual amount? u should look a bit more into things before saying things like that ;p

akwioah or any other battery uses 17 images nothing more.. now if u see 34 - 43 -55 - 67 etc doesnt mean that this is accurate..
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

still wrong forum/ cough cough. ahha cough blank
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

here is the link to the product 2200mAh EXTERNAL Battery Docking FOR iPhone iPod - eBay (item 290234035909 end time May-30-08 13:32:59 PDT)

but i wanted to ask about one more thing , when you plug the external battery into your iphone , does the iphone use it as it's own battery , or the iphone's battery is charged by the external battery and then the iphone's battery is used .so that whenever the iphone's battery loses a bit of the juice it is recharged ,

any answer please
    Last edited by ziuszius; 2008-05-30 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I know that if you charge your iPhone with the AC adapter it will charge a lot quicker than by the USB cable from your laptop, or many kinds of battery packs. I installed BatteryInfo (from Big Boss) and it will show you the numeric percentage of how much battery you have left. It also shows you the amount of mA (milliamps) if you are charging it by whatever device you have it connected to.

I notice that if I have it charging with my original Apple AC adapter I get 1250mA, if I use this 2 AA battery charger I got from Fry's it shows 500mA, or this Chinese knock-off AC adapter 1000mA, and my car charger shows 750mA. I know it is supposed to be 5VDC but I am not sure what the real difference is with the mA when charging? I'm guess the higher the mA the faster the charge. Anyone EE majors out there?

Oh, BTW, on flight to and from Japan, I used the little 2 AA external battery charger I got from Fry's and it kept my iPhone running the whole time, that's about 9 hours each way, and while I wasn't constantly using my iPhone (I fell asleep here and there) I didn't have to change those 2 AA batteries until after I got home. I'll have to dig up the manufacturer info on the charger I used but I think it was only $12. And there is nothing printed on the outside of it. I'll probably have to go back to Fry's and look at the packaging.
    Last edited by br8thw8; 2008-05-30 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Also, you can charge the battery much faster by turning off things like SSH, Wifi and Bluetooth.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
    lol actual amount? u should look a bit more into things before saying things like that ;p

akwioah or any other battery uses 17 images nothing more.. now if u see 34 - 43 -55 - 67 etc doesnt mean that this is accurate..
    Ok, well try to help the guy instead of getting on here are putting down someone else. No need to be ignorant just because you've been a member longer.
    Still, that akwoah battery charger download is still better to look @ than the iphones battery charge indicator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prouddad.215 View Post
    Ok, well try to help the guy instead of getting on here are putting down someone else. No need to be ignorant just because you've been a member longer.
    Still, that akwoah battery charger download is still better to look @ than the iphones battery charge indicator.
    Indeed.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

guys , i turned off the wifi and the bluetooth and ssh and still it is taking too damn long to charge 90 min or so . ok , as for the external battery my main question beside the type of the battery is that i want to know whether the iphone is powered by the external battery directly when it is pluged or the iphone is powered by it's battery and the battery by turn is recharged by the external one.thanks again for your concern

Thanks

guys , i turned off the wifi and the bluetooth and ssh and still it is taking too damn long to charge 90 min or so . ok , as for the external battery my main question beside the type of the battery is that i want to know whether the iphone is powered by the external battery directly when it is pluged or the iphone is powered by it's battery and the battery by turn is recharged by the external one.thanks again for your concern
    Yes, when the iphone is plugged into the external battery charger, it uses that power, and not the iphones. In fact, mine charges via the external charger while i'm watching movies, etc. Its a great product.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to prouddad.215 For This Useful Post:

ziuszius (2008-05-31)

thanks man i was really in need of that info , but you are pretty sure right ,thanks

i asked this question because in my country there are no extra iphone battery or an official iphone retailers so in any way i can't replace my the battery of my iphone so i have to reduce the frequency of recharging to keep my battery life as long as possible .so according to your info i will buy an external portable battery and use it frequently without needing to recharge the iphone's battery , thanks anyway man you helped a lot
    Last edited by ziuszius; 2008-05-31 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

thanks man i was really in need of that info , but you are pretty sure right ,thanks

i asked this question because in my country there are no extra iphone battery or an official iphone retailers so in any way i can't replace my the battery of my iphone so i have to reduce the frequency of recharging to keep my battery life as long as possible .so according to your info i will buy an external portable battery and use it frequently without needing to recharge the iphone's battery , thanks anyway man you helped a lot
    you'll be glad you bought one! I hope it helps ya out. I also bought off eb*y a replacement battery kit, whick includes a tool kit to easikly take apart the phonem, instructions, and of course, the battery. The battery is upped to 1800mah, instead of the stock 1200+- mah. My battery life is AMAZING, and it seems to charge faster as well. Installation took me 25 minutes, and that was including disassembly and reassembly.
    Something to think about if your stock battery isnt up to par.

Quote Originally Posted by prouddad.215 View Post
    well before making a rational "dont be a *****" comment read again what i said.. both eurisco and u.. what i said was for him to try and look things BEFORE suggesting a solution that is wrong..

if you think about it i helped both of them. one to understand that akwoah battery and any theme battery does not accurately show the battery levels and secondly the other guy not to take his suggestion and waste his time.

so.. there you have it.

oh and the external power with those batteries:
    1. is not a certified product
    2. had cases that burned the mobo of the iphone
    3. uses the batteries to charge the iphone, not the batteries as power.

Default confusing
    man ,this is confusing I can't tell what is right and what is wrong whether the external battery is used as the source of power directly or the iPhone's battery is the source of power during using the external battery. If you could please. Tell me what is your sources prouded and stocis I just want to make sure that I got a right answer I'm not suspecting your honesty ofcourse I'm sure you all have exerted effort answering this question and I really appreciate it but I just can't tell which info is right and have a reliable source. Just that. Thanks for all of you

sorry I meant prouddad and stocis

And please let go of the aqwash battery thing. Ok thanks again and sorry for the misspelling
    Last edited by ziuszius; 2008-05-31 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
    well before making a rational "dont be a *****" comment read again what i said.. both eurisco and u.. what i said was for him to try and look things BEFORE suggesting a solution that is wrong..

if you think about it i helped both of them. one to understand that akwoah battery and any theme battery does not accurately show the battery levels and secondly the other guy not to take his suggestion and waste his time.

so.. there you have it.

oh and the external power with those batteries:
    1. is not a certified product
    2. had cases that burned the mobo of the iphone
    3. uses the batteries to charge the iphone, not the batteries as power.
    well, smart guy, you are wrong. I cant show the ebay listing on here, but the exact external battery for the iphone I'm looking at states that you use the external battery to power the iphone WHILE IT CHARGES THE IPHONE.
    Also, you may be talking about one specific external battery burning up the motherboard, but there are MANY different makes and I'm sure you dont know for a fact that they all are damaging to an iphone. I know many, and some people on here, that have used them with no problems.
    Lastly, my suggestion wasnt wrong, but merely another idea to try to help track the battery power.
    But now I know, you seem to know everything about everything, inckluding what others are thinking. You are the iphone GOD

dude jesus wtf are u on about?? do you honestly READ what i'm writing?? holy cow !

ok lets try again:

1. is not a certified product -- ITS NOT AN APPLE PRODUCT! It does give a non iPhone accessory warning, too. Where's that in your post?
    2. had cases that burned the mobo of the iphone -- IN SOME CASES IN SOME CASES AND IN SOME CASES it did! if yours is fine then FINE! USE IT. i'm just stating THAT IT HAPPENED AND IT SHOULD BE NOTED! thx! remember to look at the voltage. should be 5 not 9.
    3. uses the batteries to charge the iphone, not the batteries as power. -- we are stating the same freaking thing. it uses the batteries to CHARGE. in order to be charged a phone obviously needs power.

also your suggestion: i freaking said that you should understand that akwoah battery and any theme battery does not accurately show the battery levels. i didnt beat u with a bat nor kicked you in the face. i just said that u should study things a bit more.

and whats with the personal attack here? iphone god etc etc.. i just said my point of view. and corrected/added/commented your suggestion. peacefully and with every respect i have for each and everyone of the members of mmi. neither did i bitchslaped u nor i was arrogant.

ps: for the power station to give the iPhone a full charge takes 2 hours, 7 minutes according to a review.
    check this out ziuszius it should be handy iPhone Portable Power Station Reviews - OCIA.net

check out this thread too mate http://www.modmyi.com/forums/accesso...me-decide.html
    Last edited by stocis; 2008-05-31 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

*DING! DING! DING!*

"And in this corner Weighing in with a whopping brain mass of 3 Lbs and the IQ of a burnt out light bulb: we have sciberjack, a jack of all trades and master of none. Except the one jack that gives you personal pleasure and fun!! "

Sorry ziuszius, that just got way to serious for me, but I don't have an EE major but the electrical guy next to me explained that it is actually to part and I will save you the lecture he gave me.

The short of it is: If you are actively using the iphone it "should" run off of the external power supply (battery, dock, USB cable) and any excess power being provided goes to charging the battery. As far as saving the battery live don't constantly charge the thing when it doesn't really need it (less than 65% used) it's not really life your shortening by doing that it's voltaic memory, the battery stores less if charged too often (least that's the way I understood it) it's best to use an external power supply and not deplete the battery unless necessary. How to accomplish that and not unplug your phone I don't know...

N E way. I just got promoted to a bitter old granny smith apple and it's way past my bed time, so I'll talk to yall later and hope this helps.
    http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/sigs/801120092.png

Life's short so have a blast. Give God a good laugh, tell him YOUR big plan.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sciberjack For This Useful Post:

stocis (2008-05-31)

the battery thing is one of the main reasons that apple loses clients all over the world. everything is sealed cannot be removed and this makes all ipods, macbooks and the iphone to have crappy battery power too soon.