Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help a newbie... SSH?

Default Please help a newbie... SSH?
    Hi everyione! Just got an iPhone two days ago and Iím just so happy with itÖ

Now, Iíd like some tips on what I should do (and not do) as Iím not really a technical girl. I just want to be able to add some extra features such as e-books, dictionaries and maybe some kind of entertainment.

I live in Spain, got the iPhone from the US and until now I have done as follows:
    Unlocked, jailbreaked, activated and installed Installer using Ziphone 2.6.
    Installed BSD subsystem.
    Installed and used BossTool for relocating fonts.
    Used 1.1.4. International Support for adding Spanish language.
    Installed Community Sources.

Everything works well, only complaint is that I donít see the name when I receive an sms even though the person writing me is in my contacts (doesnít happen with incoming calls), is there a fix for that?

The big question is do I need SSH? (it scares me a little bitÖ) Or can I just use the applications from Installer / Community Sources and forget about SSH?
    I have read somewhere that installing SSH is better with the iPhone as close to OTB as possible, so Iíd like to get this doubt sorted out before adding applications from Installer.

Also I heard about programs as Launcher, Mobile Finder, iFuntastic, SummerboardÖ do I need them? Could they substitute the SSH thing (what Iím afraid of is messing too much with my beloved phone, as I said Iím not an expert).

Ahh, I canít connect the iPhone to my home G4 (runs OS X 10.4.3 and therefore no iTunes 7.6), so I did everything on my work PC. Nevertheless all my music is at home, is there a way?

Resuming, what would be your recommendations as a basic setup on the iPhone?

Sorry for writing such a long post, would really appreciate some help!

Cheers.

hola, yo tambien vivo en EspaŮa, i'll see if i an be of any help..
    the sms thing, well, try adding +34 before the contact's phone number, sometimes it works that way... mostly with orange and vodafone... otherwise i would't know, i've never had tha problem myself.
    the thing about connecting to your Mac, can't help there... i'm currently saving for a mac, and in the meantime im a linux fellow
    ok now about SSH, it's a protocol of secure connection over a given network, it shouldn't scare you at all, i mean you CAN screw up your phone with it but only if you try real hard if you know what i mean.
    the SSH works by linking your phone wirelessly with a host computer, mac, pc or anything, and then over an SFTP connection you can search your files and folders securely, and then you can add, replace and delete files.
    so if you need to perform such a task, then ssh is your guy, otherwise, you won't need it...
    did i throw a light for you or just made it worst? let me know ok?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ez3t0r For This Useful Post:

1ben (2008-05-29)

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

summerboad and customize are def suttin you will want if you want to customize your phone. and if you dont like the new customize,2.0, you have to manually download old version and ssh it to your phone. but there is apps like iphone browser to browse file system via pluggin into computer..

Basic setup hmmmm.. there are like 3 main things you need for apps to work. Bsd subsystem and some others, not posative wht else.idont really remember its been awhile. do a search.

-SummerBoard
    -Customize(i like 1.2)
    That will get you some basic customization
    -the rest is preference, they have a bunch of utilites, games and programmer stuff
    -
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to screamforme02 For This Useful Post:

1ben (2008-05-29)

Thanks!

I read in another forum about the AppSupport Patch, that seems to solve the caller ID problem I had with text messages.

Still, I'm not sure about SSH but maybe I should just jump into it... Would it work when my PC is connected with cable to the network, and iPhone with wifi? If I connect to SSH on the PC at my work, can I later copy music via SSH from my mac at home? (OS X 10.4.3, iTunes 7.2)

Thanks again!

sure thing, the SSh will work as long as you're in the same local area network, as for the music through SSh maybe it will work but it could corrupt the itunes database, but im just guessing that...

haven't heard about that appsupport patch, will download asap and see what is all about...

if you're up to the SSH challenge :P then check this tutorial for Mac http://www.esferaiphone.com/?p=44 it's in spanish tho, but i guess you're fluent...
    Last edited by ez3t0r; 2008-05-29 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fu&$/d up

Gracias ez3t0r,

Is it better to use the mac for installing SSH on iPhone? or will PC work just as well?
    If I install SSH through my PC can I later use SSH from my home mac as well?

If it's a problem copying music using SSH, how can I get the music from my mac onto the iPhone? my problem is that I can't run iTunes 7.6 on the mac because I use OS X 10.4.3, so I can't connect iPhone to iTunes.

Ciao!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1ben View Post
    Gracias ez3t0r,

Is it better to use the mac for installing SSH on iPhone? or will PC work just as well?
    If I install SSH through my PC can I later use SSH from my home mac as well?

If it's a problem copying music using SSH, how can I get the music from my mac onto the iPhone? my problem is that I can't run iTunes 7.6 on the mac because I use OS X 10.4.3, so I can't connect iPhone to iTunes.

Ciao!
    OpenSSH is installed through the Installer.app on your iPhone, so it doesn't matter if you have a Mac or PC.

Also, iTunes 7.6 isn't the only version that syncs with iPhone. What problem are you having? You can't copy music to your iPhone using SSH and have the iPod recognise it. It must be synced with iTunes.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

1ben (2008-05-29)

Default yep
    indeed, as i said before ssh can be used over windows, mac or linux...

I'm clueless about OS X / Itunes compatibility... im not a mac guy... yet, so I cant help there...

My problem is that my version of iTunes (7.2) doesn't recognize the iPhone, and I cannot update iTunes because I use OS X 10.4.3, does anybody know how I could copy my music? (I can always move it little my little on a pendrive to my work PC, but it would be nice to sync on my home computer).

Cheers.

If youre really determined, you could dual-boot windows on your home computer...