Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wifi - cannot log on overseas?

Default Wifi - cannot log on overseas?
    Hi all,

I'm currently on a cruise ship which has wifi, I've not been able to connect as the errror keeps popping up:
    Please check cookies can be accepted and setting is configured to ships time (not word for word).

I've set 'always' for enabling cookies, and my iphones time is set to ships time - we're traveling in the med round europe btw - so no major time differences. This is before i get to any kind of enter password screens btw.

I've also tried to connect whilst out and about in Italy, using free cafe wifi - but again the same kind of message comes up.

I've check through all the settings and can't think what the problem is? I can connect to my home wifi no probs, when I'm at home - but just not here.

Anyone got any ideas?

The system the wifi provider is using to identify clients probably does not recognize the iphone's user agent string and is refusing the connection. It can happen with systems that are written specifically to look for common user agent strings from desktops and laptops (IE, Firefox, maybe Safari).

Thanks

Sometimes when the wifi signal is a bit weak, its tough logging onto a new network for the first time if there is a web based logon page. I recently stayed at a hotel with free wifi and I finally was able to logon the second day of the stay.