Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: changing autocorrect language...?

Default changing autocorrect language...?
    hi guys!
    first post!
    from my iPhone no less!

Anyway,I am wondering,now that I have 1.1.2 setup, how do I go about using French autocorrection while keeping the keyboard qwerty and the OS English?

This is why I upgraded.

Anyone?

I fear I must wait for someone to write a tweak for it

Banned
    Thanks

do u like take a french class or something? anyway...idc....go into the interface and browse around and find out what u can find....im sure there is something u can do....i would do it for u but i have 1.1.1

well all my friends speak french... I live in belgium so virtually all my messages are sent in french but i've learnt to type on a qwerty keyboard

now I've noticed that if I change the keyboard over to azerty it'll auto-correct everything in french...

Thanks anyway... hope someone has a clue

I have the same issue with my frenchly-challenged iPhone; it's either qwerty in english or azerty in french.... I can't believe Apple has been so short-sighted to forget about us poor french canadians and belgians who like qwerty.

Anyone with a solution yet?

Alright, after posting this I found a hack on another site that actually works. The idea is to trick the en-UK keyboard language into using the french dictionnary files. This results into a qwerty keyboard that auto-completes/corrects in french.

To do this, log into your iPhone using ssh and go into /System/Library/KeyboardDictionaries. Next, copy the fr_FR* files over the en_GB* ones of the same name. Keeping a backup of the latter is probably a good idea. After that you just need to add the UK language in Settings -> General -> International -> Keyboards and switch to that layout whenever you need it with the earth icon.

Credits to pengouinqc over here: http://www.macquebec.com/forums/lofi...php/t2996.html

FL.
    Last edited by flaroche; 2008-01-08 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost