Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: fooling around with Appl-lib and now dead

Default fooling around with Appl-lib and now dead
    Hi there.

I was reading a guide how to change the Application-location just to free up some more space, but durring the process my connection timed out and basicly I ended up with an iPhone with non-working applications. I tried to start the iTunes-application on the iPhone but the screen died, and I turned off the iPhone (looking back in the mirror that was a bad idea).

So now the problem started:
    The iPhone wont start at all. The Apple-logo comes up and a few minutes later the circle-loading-thing also pops up half covert by the end of the Apple-logo. I know there is some activity because by time (some minutes) the cicle-loading-thing gets more clear which, to me, seems like its running around (which is the way it shows its activity).

But thats it! I have tried to turn off the iPhone without result - but suddenly I was lucky and got it turned off. I tried to hold down the Home-button about a minut with cable plugged in, to enter recovery mode, but nothing happend at all.

So for now my iPhone has been booting for like three hours - the circle-loading-thing is clear all the way round but nothing happens.

So... I think I somehow got to upload a new firmware from scratch in a way that I cannot imagine... can I disassemble the iPhone and somehow force the firmware back in and then go on from there? I am thinking about the first jailbreakers which was very hardware-oriented.

I pretty much dont care about formatting my device - I just want it working...

Or how should do this

(bla bla bla - sorry for gramma etc - i am not that much into english)

Quote Originally Posted by Kian View Post
    But thats it! I have tried to turn off the iPhone without result - but suddenly I was lucky and got it turned off. I tried to hold down the Home-button about a minut with cable plugged in, to enter recovery mode, but nothing happend at all.
    Maybe this is why it won´t work...

To enter recovery mode you have to hold down both the power/sleep and the home button.

Other than that you could try any of the progs floating around(e.g. Ziphone, iLiberty) to put your phone into DFU mode or recovery mode and then restore to 1.1.4 via iTunes.

Hope that helps.
    Keep us posted.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a

Default all solved
    Well... the problem was that I tried bunch of times getting it into restore/recovery-mode. You are suggesting iLiberty etc but as far as I know those programs require you to be up-and-running before they at all can communicate with the iPhone. So either you didnt red my post at all or I might not know much about getting those programs connected with my iPhone.

Anyway, and just to repeat myself: I wasnt able to get it booted up at all. It hung at the Apple-logo and that was it! - I tried holding down the home without luck

But somehow - by keep trying I managed to get it into recovery by holding the home and now I am back business.

And just a curious question: the recovery mode-module - is it placed on a seperate chip or something? can I go **** up my iPhone totally and still expect it to enter recovery mode by holding down the home?

Thanks

So you dismiss Aotw's suggestion then claim you magically managed to get it fixed by yourself? You were obviously doing something wrong in the 1st place.

And, I really don't think you should be even thinking about opening up your iphone if you had such difficulty doing a simple restore.

Stick to the conventional methods
    To live, you have to lie

Get your lingo right. It's hold down the Power / Home - both of the buttons.