Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weather not updating

Default Weather not updating
    Weather app has been showing "Update failed" for some international cities (such as Sao Paulo, Montreal, Gothenburg etc.) for the last three days or so on my unlocked iPhone running 1.1.1. Is there any chance of this not being just a temporary server problem, as I begin to believe? Anyone having these cities updated on 1.1.2?

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm on 1.1.1. Weather updates works fine for me.. See if stocks are working for you.

Stocks seem to be OK here. Most cities in weather update correctly as well, but not the ones I mentioned (and some others). Strange... Thanks anyway!

iPhone? More like MyPhone RC_OZ's Avatar
    Thanks

How did you put in Sao Paolo. Yahoo weather can't see Sao Paolo, Sao Paolo, Brazil.

Try Campinas instead. wait for list, choose Campinas, Sao Paulo (Brazil)

Choose from list that Yahoo see.
    Last edited by RC_OZ; 2007-11-18 at 07:13 PM.

I had my com.apple.weather.plist file hacked to locate Sao Paulo in the list. It had been working quite well until now. I thought the problem could be related to the hack, but as I said Montreal and other cities from the list won't update either. Are you sure Montreal updates fine on your phone? If so, maybe I should look for the original version of com.apple.weather.plist (where?) file and get rid of my hacked one...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Started having the same problem a week ago.

Many cities that used to work fine don't update anymore, weather simply states "Update failed" pretty quickly.
    Saw it happening on six (jailbreaked, activated and anySIM-unlocked) 1.0.2 and 1.1.1 iPhones I've come across last week.

Btw - you can add São Paulo to weather by simply typing SAO (all caps, no tilde) in "Add Location" and weather will find it on Yahoo for you - no need to patch the com.apple.weather.plist (unless you want it to show up with the tilde).

Cheers,
    Nutz
    Last edited by nutz; 2007-11-20 at 07:04 PM.

Problems here, too, since about a week. 1.1.1, unlocked.
    I'm in Gothenburg, Sweden, which works fine on my Macs (Tiger).
    Does not work over edge or wifi (why would there be a difference anyway).

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I could be wrong and it could be a coincidence, but it looks like this only happens with cities that have a letter with accent:

Every city with "São" ("a" with a tilde) doesn't load.
    I believe the Swedish city cited above is written with an ö, correct?
    Montreal is correctly written with an é - Montréal, right?

Like I said, this could be a long shot, but as it seems, it must be something with the form the iPhone is sending these characters to the server.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    I could be wrong and it could be a coincidence, but it looks like this only happens with cities that have a letter with accent:

Every city with "São" ("a" with a tilde) doesn't load.
    I believe the Swedish city cited above is written with an ö, correct?
    Montreal is correctly written with an é - Montréal, right?

Like I said, this could be a long shot, but as it seems, it must be something with the form the iPhone is sending these characters to the server.
    I thought so, but Perth (Australia) does not fit in, neither São Paulo de Olivença (another Brazilian city, which actually updates). Apparently iPhone retrieves information from the weather server by using a string, not by the name of the city itself.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    well...
    got word from a friend running a totally legit and virgin at&t 1.1.2 iphone that the cities we've mentioned in this post also stopped working for him.

I've edited com.apple.weather.plist to reflect the strings from a "patched to include sao paulo" one i had downloaded a while ago (and was using until being told of the SAO method).
    No change (still didn't work), and the edit even included the numeric string yahoo uses to identify the cities...

Well, more figuring out for us to do...

like my non-geek wife puts it: you keep breaking this thing just to have an excuse to play even more with it. (not! I am starting to find it a real huge pain in the * whenever i have to do yet another new restore & jailbreak...)
    Last edited by nutz; 2007-11-22 at 04:07 AM.

Default weather not updating - sao paulo
    i found and stupid workaround for sao paulo. i added the city of Osasco, which is so close it's almost the same city.

I'm don't think it's just the accent, when you put in Outremont (which is a part of the city of Montreal), the weather fails to update as well. I got fed up and put Laval, which is right next to Montreal. However putting Laval just feels wrong, people from montreal will surely agree with me (It would be like as if people from Manhattan started using NJ's weather) :P

I have the same problem when i use Athens,Greece. fails

Quote Originally Posted by jackwk View Post
    I'm don't think it's just the accent, when you put in Outremont (which is a part of the city of Montreal), the weather fails to update as well. I got fed up and put Laval, which is right next to Montreal. However putting Laval just feels wrong, people from montreal will surely agree with me (It would be like as if people from Manhattan started using NJ's weather) :P
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to look at the weather and see Laval if I don't live there.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    yeah... i have the cities around sao paulo so i know the temperatures at all perimeters - north, south, east and west, but i would definitely like to see the temp for the right one!

Same problem here with Montreal.

So, it seems Yahoo (on Apple's request?) blocked some major cities not on the list of legit iPhone countries, could that be it? Must piss some traveling AT&T guys off...
    For now, checking neighboring locations will have to do it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by tvamvarg View Post
    So, it seems Yahoo (on Apple's request?) blocked some major cities not on the list of legit iPhone countries, could that be it? Must piss some traveling AT&T guys off...
    For now, checking neighboring locations will have to do it seems.
    Sorry, but nonsense. People with AT&T iPhone contract travel around the globe, you know.

i am having this problem all of a sudden. I think it is because i installed BossTools to transfer my programs around...or it is a April Fool's joke from yahoo....