Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone seems bricked: can't restore firmware or do anything

Default iPhone seems bricked: can't restore firmware or do anything
    Hi everyone,

first of all I wanna apologize if this serious problem has been solved already. I did use the search function and read already dozens of threads but none solved my problem .

Since yesterday I've got a pretty big problem which seems to be even bigger than I initially thought.

For a still unknown reason my iPhone suddenly stopped working yesterday.
    Since then I can't place or receive any calls anymore and can't use my WLAN either.
    Therefore I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the baseband-firmware, which I never knowingly edited in any way by the way.

First all the facts I can give you.
    My iPhone (bought it in the USA and using it in Germany) had originally the firmware 1.1.3 installed. I updated via iTunes to 1.1.4 and jailbreaked it with ZiPhone 3.0.
    All that happened at least 3 months ago and since then I've never had any problems whatsoever.

So after getting this problem I went home to connect it to my PC and iTunes.
    I tried to restore it with the official option in iTunes.
    After a while though this progress just freezed and nothing happened anymore.
    After reading in some forums about similar problems I tried all kinds of methods already (I'm not sure whether I acutally made it worse with all my doing).
    I also used the "REAL" DFU-Mode (damn what is that in english?) to try to downgrade my iPhone firmware... no success.
    When I try to re-install ZiPhone 3.0 or iLiberty+, both programs just freeze after a while and don't do anything anymore.
    Now it seems that my iPhone is totally fu**ed up... I can't even turn it on anymore.
    Before that I tried to find out my values for IMEI, ICCID or Modem-Firmware.
    When I go to settings > general > info those fields are just blank.

Isn't there a way to COMPLETELY reset all settings?
    I don't care about my phonebook, songs, images etc. I just wanna have a working iPhone again!

Every help concerning this matter would be VERY appreciated!
    I just don't know what to do anymore and thinking already about sending it to Apple, which will probably cost me a small fortune.

Thanks already a dozen for your help,

36 views and no suggestions yet?
    Please guys I'm totally out of ideas.

"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" :-)
    Last edited by thovader; 2008-05-21 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Try this, it may work.

Go to http://iphone-dev.org/ and download Pwnage (for mac, on windows go here: Main Page - WinPwn)

Open the program, then browse for an original 1.1.4 firmware ipsw. Once you have found and selected it, click on iPwner (it will tell you to connect the phone). Let it do its magic. If it works, continue to the next step. If it fails, try again, and if it fails again, look for some other solution.

If it has succeeded, click on IPSW Builder. Click any features that you want - particularly Enable Baseband Update, with Neuter Bootloader and Update to 4.6. You can unlock if necessary and then delete the app that does all of this so you cannot mess it up afterward. It will ask for 4.6 BL file, either google it or pm me for it. You can select a custom boot image (the pineapple for example) or simply unclick it to keep the original. When done click OK and let it do its thing.

In iTunes, plug phone in (in DFU mode), then option-click (mac) or shift-click (windows) on RESTORE. Browse for the ipsw you just created (the custom one) and select it. It will restore that image to the iphone, and hopefully will fix your problem.

Thank you very much for your suggestion... really appreciated!

I did all the steps with Pwnage successfully and created a custom image with just the Installer and Cydia for the beginning.

But unfortunately when I tried to restore this image via iTunes I still got the same error message (1011) .
    Could it be that the reason for that is that my iPhone is still in Recovery Mode and not DFU Mode?
    Problem would be then that I can't change that.
    As soon as I switch on my iPhone it goes into the - as I believe - Recovery Mode where you can see the cable and the iTunes symbol.
    As far as I know you need to have successfully switched on the iPhone already to enter the real DFU Mode.
    But this is exactly the thing I can't do anymore .

Any more ideas?
    Perhaps there's another way to enter the real DFU Mode?

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Try this, turn off your phone. Then turn it on holding power and home, and keep holding. The screen should stay black, but you will hear the connect sound from the computer. Try to restore once it connects that way (the screen will look like its off).

Nope sorry.
    As soon as I turn on the iPhone (even when holding the home AND power button simultaneously) I see first the Apple logo followed by the cable with the iTunes symbol.

Wow, I really messed up my iPhone, haven't I?

i had this problem before(my phone being in recovery mode and not being detected). all i had to do was plug my phone into my computer with itunes running and the phone on, then hold down the sleep and home buttons until itunes picked it up(ten seconds or so)
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding: my iTunes DOES detect the iPhone!
    It's just that whenever I try to restore any firmware I get this error message saying that it didn't work (1011).

What I think is, that the restore function doesn't work because I'm stuck in recovery and not DFU mode.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

subscribing. my sisters iphone is suffering the same things

had the same problem with a friends iphone (no baseband, no wifi, no sound/ "need repair" keep prompting)... tried ziphone, iliberty+, tried restoring via winpwn custom firmware, no use. still getting the 1011 error. restore in 111, 112, 113, 114 still 1011 error. gave up on it... but i think its my itunes... i should have use a later version, like 7.4, when restoring?

as far as i know it doesn't matter which version of iTunes you are using (as long as its a recent version (7.4+) there is a special restore mode where the screen does not turn on, this mode may allow the restore to actually work. If not, try restoring to a lower number (1.02 or 1.1.1 should work).

Directions for that different restore mode: Press and hold Power + Home buttons for 25 (or so) seconds with the phone plugged into your computer. The screen will remain blank (off), however the computer will detect the phone. Try to restore now, it may work.

Any luck? This method has worked for others to get their phones working again.

Sorry for the late reply... haven't been in town over the weekend.

Unfortunately the method, holding the power and home button for about 25 sec, didn't work either.
    Here's what I did, just to completely make sure that I did it right:

1) my iPhone was turned off and iTunes was closed but the phone was connected to my PC. I then turned on the phone and held down both buttons for a) pretty exactly 25 sec and b) once again for at least 45 sec. I still got the Apple Logo first, followed by the cable with the iTunes symbol.

2) then I tried it the other way around, just to make sure. My iPhone was turned on (well I didn't see the springboard, just the cable and iTunes symbol) and held the two buttons for a) 25 sec and b) for at least 45 sec.

In both cases I never got a complete black screen while iTunes still recognized the iPhone.

I also tried to restore the firmwares 1.0.2 and 1.1.1, no success either.

Strange is that I now get the error code 1 and not 1011 anymore.
    But after trying to restore any firmware, iTunes gives me this error code and then doesn't recognize the phone anymore. If I restart my phone is there again but just as long as I don't try to restore again.

Man, I can't tell you how annoying all that is for me... I'm really pissed at everything!
    But of course I'm still so very grateful for your help in this manner and wanna thank you again for your time!

you need to try everything again on a different computer with new installation of itunes. You need to hold power and home button for 25 sec, let go of power button and keep holding home button for like 15 sec untill your computer recognizes the phone in DFU. Dont matter what the screen on ur phone does just follow the instructions. Then you need to restore it. if that doesnt work you need to post here again.

Thanks a lot for your help but I tried exactly that on 3 different computers already (1 Mac and 2 PC's).
    I also tried different versions of iTunes by the way.

But I don't need any help anymore because I sold this piece of crap for an unbelievable price at ebay :-) !

you probably read a lot of stuff just like me and tried a lot of stuff too can you please read my thread and see if you got any ideas for solving my problem? If i ever manage to restore it i will sell it right away at ebay cause i now hate iphone.

heres my thread:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/jailbre...i-screwed.html

Quote Originally Posted by woutorian View Post
    you probably read a lot of stuff just like me and tried a lot of stuff too can you please read my thread and see if you got any ideas for solving my problem? If i ever manage to restore it i will sell it right away at ebay cause i now hate iphone.

heres my thread:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/jailbre...i-screwed.html
    I never had any flashing so with this I've got no experience at all .
    But to be honest: I'm actually so exhausted reading forums and searching the internet for a solution that I totally gave up and don't wanna read any more about this.
    I'm really sorry for you but try to sell it as fast as possible at ebay... seriously! Even a bricked one is quite valuable... for whatever reason?!

Good luck with everythin, I'll won't be buying an iPhone anytime soon again .

Just got this Sony Ericsson W890i and LOVING it!
    It's smaller, lighter and has acutally more functions than the iPhone!
    Ok, the usability isn't as great as with the iPhone but that's fine by me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thovader View Post
    Thanks a lot for your help but I tried exactly that on 3 different computers already (1 Mac and 2 PC's).
    I also tried different versions of iTunes by the way.

But I don't need any help anymore because I sold this piece of crap for an unbelievable price at ebay :-) !
    Sorry to hear that you sold you phone. The 1011 error means the restore worked! You can go to iphone.unlock.no and follow their guides to fix it.

I wreaked my phone pretty bad too and then that website and this website saved me.

Hopefully this will help anyone else stuck in that situation.

Also FYI. it doesn't matter what comp you use (PC or Mac) and just use an iTunes 7.4 or higher (any lower and it won't recognize an iPhone. I recommend sticking with 7.4.3 as I can still do custom ringtones via itunes that way )

Quote Originally Posted by chillypbear View Post
    Sorry to hear that you sold you phone. The 1011 error means the restore worked! You can go to iphone.unlock.no and follow their guides to fix it.
    Tried that a long time ago... no success either .
    I'm pretty sure that my iPhone was beyond repair without hardwiring or something like that.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
    I have a 1.1.1 otb new phone and the same happened to me. I was desperate. I decided to check the apple support page Error 1603 When Restoring iPhone in iTunes. and Error 1601 or 1602 when restoring iPhone or iPod touch in iTunes. I couldn´t found error 9 but I tried one of the error 1603 solution....and you know? It worked!!! I connected the iphone usb cable to another usb port. After that I continued with no problems with the whole unlocking process with no problems. Hope it works

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Repairing Baseband
    If you are on Windows, Follow The Steps Below.

Step 1:
    - Turn off your PC and Take off the Powercable for atleast 1 min(this will release any electricity held by capacitors)

- Turn on your PC, connect original iPhone USB Cable to the back of your Computer.
    - Download iLiberty+ and Install it.
    - Connect Your iPhone (You should be in Recovery Mode as you stated)
    - Go in Other Tools Tab in iLiberty+ and Click Jump out of Recovery Mode.
    - If that works, you can simply get back in your iPhone and restore with 1.1.4
    - Activate/Jailbreak/Unlock using iLiberty, and Install the Installer App
    - Using installer App, add source, http://hackthatphone.com/1.xml
    - Download Baseband information app... and check what baseband you have.
    - If baseband 3.9MS2, you are good...
    - At this point your iPhone should be jailbroken/acivated/unlocked...
    - Now download iPhone firmware 1.0.2 and flash your phone with it.
    - Once fully flashedYou will get a 1013 error. This is due to baseband 1.1.4 baseband.
    - Eject iPhone from iTunes, and you should have Yellow Triangle Icon on your iPhone.
    - Using iLiberty Bring out your phone from Recovery Mode as you did earlier.
    - You'll see Activate your iPhone.
    - Now use iliberty to activate/jailbreak only with installer app. When you hit Go For It. Your iPhone will be stuck @ triangle icon. Do not PANIC. Just go in Other Tools Tab in iLiberty+ and Click Jump out of Recovery Mode, you'll see iLiberty run its coding.
    - Once back in phone, Set phone to Auto Lock Never <--- IMPORTANT
    - Now go in installer(do not update), download OpenSSH, BSD Subsystem
    - Re-Add http://hackthatphone.com/1.xml
    - Go in and Download Downgrade Baseband #5
    - Now Install terminal app on your iPhone (DO NOT USE INSTALLER APP) See Attached.
    - Use ssh get in your Phone, go in App Dir, and Drop the Terminal.App folder there, and chmod to 755 folder and the app itself.
    - Reboot iPhone and go in Terminal App and Type as Follow
    cd /usr/bin hit return
    restorebb hit rerturn
    - Now alot of coding will run, just wait till it finishes. You'll see DONE
    - Now go in Setting and check your Modem Firmware, it should be @ 03.14.08G.
    - Now go in Installer, Hack That PHONE, download Baseband Repair
    - Go in Terminal and type as follow
    cd /usr/bin
    virginize
    - Now alot of coding will run, just wait till it finishes. You'll see DONE
    - Now use iLiberty+ put your Phone in DFU mode, and Restore using 1.1.4
    - Now use iLiberty+ to Activate/Jailbreak/Unlock or WinPwn. DO NOT USE ZIPHONE as it rewrite your baseband and install stuff directly from Ram = BAD... where iLiberty+ and WinPWN uses payload.
    I used iLiberty with only option of Activate/Jailbreak/Unlock

Hopefully, this tut will get your Phone back... it worked for me. enJoY
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast