Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replacing iphone antenna

Default Replacing iphone antenna
    Wifi dies a few months ago. I've since tried every combination of firmware changes, bootneutering, swifi, all of it. Still no icon and no wifi. So I'm certain the antenna's dead. I'm not going to be able to get it on warranty, it's a US phone, I'm in the UK, no ATT contract etc etc

I've seen some Antennas for sale on ebay, and am hunting for a decent guide to replacing the wifi antenna properly, but haven't found one. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

have you tried all the patches that are available for ur firmware that fiz the wifi problems, i would try a clean restore with itunes jailbreak than search for the patches for the firmware u chose that fixx wifi. b4 u go and take ur phone apart
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to screamforme02 For This Useful Post:

twindecks (2010-10-05)

Thanks. I've tried them all. Spent 2 months doing it. Nothing.
    Just after a guide for replacing the antenna

Have you dropped your phone or did it (wifi) just stop working? I have never heard of a wifi antenna go bad. I would try restoring again and make sure to set it up as a new phone in itunes.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    Have you dropped your phone or did it (wifi) just stop working? I have never heard of a wifi antenna go bad. I would try restoring again and make sure to set it up as a new phone in itunes.
    word
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks for your responses. I've never dropped it.
    I've restored it so many times I can't remember. I've restored it to its' original firmware. I've used Swifi with bootneuter. I sent it to a recommended iphone repair guy who had no idea and refunded me. So it surely must be some hardware thing? It's driven me crazy for months!

Quote Originally Posted by borelli View Post
    Thanks for your responses. I've never dropped it.
    I've restored it so many times I can't remember. I've restored it to its' original firmware. I've used Swifi with bootneuter. I sent it to a recommended iphone repair guy who had no idea and refunded me. So it surely must be some hardware thing? It's driven me crazy for months!
    Hello, any update on the problem you encountered? I have a friend who had the exact same problem. Tried various means but still having problem with wifi.

Nothing yet, likewise if you find an answer would love to hear it

what do you use to jailbreak it with?try iliberty.i'm using the one by ziphone,and no problems at all..and fyi,the antenna is not where the wifi chip is at,its at the communications board!way deep into the back shell of the iphone!the antenna got nothing to do with the wifi connection!dont mess with the antenna! check this out fool!

iPhone Disassembly: Installing Communications Board - Removing Communications Board (page 9/10)

Trust me,you dont wanna be where ive been with the iphone.had three,gave one to my girl,one for myself,and strip one down to the bones!and managed to damage the back shell and antenna cover.didnt have the right tools as guided by the above site.get it fixed at apple store man!unless you're like me here in Singapore and had to get a friend to get replacements for me.

Cheers!
    Last edited by screamsoflust; 2008-06-09 at 04:41 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default same wifi problem...
    Hey guys, did any of you find a REAL solution for the wifi problem? More and more people (including myself) are having the problem... I used pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 2G (first gen) with custom 3.1 firmware. Please help! Would the jailbreaking / unlocking software have ANYTHING to do with wifi problems? I don't see the connection...
    Please let me know!

E

i need a solution to this also, please post!

I have had the same problem and thought it was a firmware or jailbreak issue. In addition, I have had a problem with my phone stalling at boot up, showing low battery charge and then the charge jumps to nearly full charge.Only to hit the red when I unplug it from my mac. I also thought this was a software or boot issue, not so.
    I got this from my brother who bought it on ebay a few months ago and has been dealing with this since.
    I finally decided to wrestle this thing open and see what was going on. It became quite obvious that someone had replaced the battery with a dud and in the process of cramming it back together completely severed the wifi/bluetooth flex cable. I don't know where you got yours but if it was on ebay used you might have someone's failed attempt at iphone repair like I do.
    For your sake I hope not.

Default my wifi isnt working either!
    roped my iphone but the wifi was still working. then it just stoped. i have set it up as a new iphone and everything. anything form anyone?

There is a guide on ifixit.com for replacing the gps antenna. Some people have said that that antenna handles the gps ,Bluetooth , and wifi. Can anyone confirm the validity of that? I found some antennas on eBay and I'm ready to replace mine because my wifi is awful.

Ok. After a bit more research it does seem that that one antenna handles the gps, Bluetooth , And wifi. I'm going to follow the guide on ifixit and let you know how it works out. You can get antennas on eBay for under $5.
    Last edited by Pulseczar; 2010-10-04 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Pulseczar View Post
    There is a guide on ifixit.com for replacing the gps antenna. Some people have said that that antenna handles the gps ,Bluetooth , and wifi. Can anyone confirm the validity of that? I found some antennas on eBay and I'm ready to replace mine because my wifi is awful.

Ok. After a bit more research it does seem that that one antenna handles the gps, Bluetooth , And wifi. I'm going to follow the guide on ifixit and let you know how it works out. You can get antennas on eBay for under $5.
    Replacing it worked like a charm.