Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Car radio burns out iPhone!

  1. #1
    Exclamation Car radio burns out iPhone!
    A cautionary tale of woe:
    In my car, I have a Panasonic DVD headunit along with an iPod interface cable (CA-DC300U) that i use to listen to my iPod Nano. It has worked flawlessly since I installed it a year ago and continues to do so.
    While driving, my iPhone warned me of a low battery. I decided to charge it using the Panasonic iPod interface. It worked at first, it even played music from the phone. Then the phone crashed. I left it to charge. When I checked on it again, the phone would not turn back on and was hot to the touch. I unplugged it but it was too late.
    My phone will not turn on or charge. I've tried the AC and USB chargers.

    I tried to get it replaced under warranty at Apple. They said they'll happily give me a new phone if I provide them an AT&T SIM card to "test the new phone."

    Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life Eurisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanked 562 Times in 483 Posts

    Apple has said in their "maintenance & care" FAQs regarding the battery, that once the level reaches 100%, you should remove it from the power supply. Leaving it connected for hours on end at 100% will overcharge and overheat it.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

  4. #4
    I had a very similar thing happen to mine, except it was with the wall charger. I had a low battery (10%), and I plugged the iPhone in. It began to get very warm, and eventually it stopped working completely. No turning on, no sync, no anything. I got it replaced at the Apple store.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Leaving it connected for hours on end at 100% will overcharge and overheat it.
    It was at 10%. I plugged it in for 10 minutes at most.
    Also, lithium polymer chargers use delta-peak charging, so the phone never gets overcharged. Overcharging a lipoly battery would result in it violently venting.

  6. #6
    I use the Denison iPod adaptor in my car, and works flawlessly with the iPhone. Denison are the only official car audio iPod adaptors, which push out the recommended 5v, a lot of them, including some iPod speaker systems, push out 10v which will fry the battery.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts

    borrow a ATT sim from a friend

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by fat x nub View Post
    borrow a ATT sim from a friend
    I'm going to try this and report back with results.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts