Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone in car

Default iPhone in car
    I connect my iPhone to my car stereo to listen to music. I would like to be able to see the song name and album art on the screen, but I just get this when it's plugged in:

Is there anything I can do to be able to see the album art and everything?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    dont know about ur question, but how do u connect to the car, what are u using? fm transmitter, from where?

It connects directly to the head unit, and then I control the music (pause/play, next/previous song) with the buttons on the head unit. It also charges the iPhone's battery while plugged in.

Could someone write a program that just displays the song info and album art while a song is playing?

Default Dice Ipod for BMW
    I use the DICE adapter unit for the BMW. Same thing happens. Press the "Home" button until the screen clears. You need to do this each time you plug the unit into the adapter.

Didn't work.....it just says "ERROR" on the head unit after that, and theres no sound from the speakers.

Anyone have a solution yet?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had 1st gen IPhone unlocked using IFunstatic, Independence, etc. I was able to unlock using Pwnage 2.0. My IPhone has been exhibiting weirdness when trying to using my BMW's bluetooh (COMMUNICATION) to use IPhone as hands-free phone and IPod connection (ENTERTAINMENT) listening to IPhone's playlist thru car's speaker system. I've reset IPhone several times when the IPhone's display doesn't respond. I'm going to try re-pwning my IPhone using 2.0.1. update, hopefully that will help.

[UPDATE: 07/23/08 - I contacted BMW Customer Service and they indicated that the BMW bluetooth and IPod/IPhone functionality is not compatible with Apple 2.0 software. They also indicated that there is on method to upgrade the BMW bluetooth and IPod connection to be compatible with Apple 2.0 or IPhone 3G versions. So the BMW setup is not future-technology proof. So, I'm going to resort to using my standalone IPod and my IPhone as a separate bluetooth "phone" -- no IPhone music/podcasting

Here's a link to the information I found at BMW Bluetooth Integration | Auto Wireless Solutions
    http://www.wireless4bmw.com/info/Cin...e_03.21.08.pdf

Here's another link: http://blog.scoopz.com/2008/07/11/ip...-book-syncing/ that details this known issue that's been reported to Apple.
    Last edited by BustAGroove; 2008-07-24 at 01:50 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Any BMW drivers notice an improvement with bluetooth or address book showing up since the 2.0.1 / 2.0.2. Apple firmware upgrade for IPhone 3G????
    Last edited by BustAGroove; 2008-08-20 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTEN II View Post
    I connect my iPhone to my car stereo to listen to music. I would like to be able to see the song name and album art on the screen, but I just get this when it's plugged in:

Is there anything I can do to be able to see the album art and everything?
    I don't know what kind of car you have but I drive a volvo S80 and have a car adapter for my iphone. When I use it in the 'advanced mode' it basically mimics the cd changer controls it is not just simply a line in. I suspect it's the same with yours correct? If so then it's a attribute of the iphone adapter not the iphone. If this is the case then the only solution is looking for a new adapter which allows control of the music through the ipod/iphone depending on your car there are lots of options out there that do just what your looking for.

i have an alpine iphone head unit (iDA-X001), it does the same thing, but you control the ipod from the radio, and i have album art on the radio screen. so its all good. when you press the home button, you can still navigate through the phone (just not the ipod)

----------------
    Now playing: Lost Boyz - Renee