Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Video Output to TV workaround?

Default Iphone Video Output to TV workaround?
    I have done some searching and found conflicting reviews...

I have a newer kenwood indash tv with the ipod add on that plugs into the bottom connection of the iphone. I am able to use the touchscreen to control the ipod section of the iphone and for audio its working great. But video does not come through that cable.

In an attempt to get my itunes videos to play though my iphone into my indash tv, i went and got the regular cheapo depot camcorder output rca cable with a headphone jack on one side and the standard yellow, red, white rca jacks on the other side. I hooked the iphone up like any other video input and selected the proper video channel on the tv.

I then played a tv show episode that i downloaded from itunes, and the sound came through but not the video. I tried moving the plugs around after reading that they swapped colors and red was now the video wire, but that didnt work either.

Then i came across a site that says you cant do video output at all through the iphone, but then why is there a tv output option in the settings menu?

my question is, does anyone currently have a setup working where their video is running from the iphone to a tv. This question is iphone specific, not ipod, i am aware its common with the ipod so im asking specifically iphone. I have read a lot of speculation on what "might" work. So im asking for help from anyone who already has theirs working

Any help?

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah iphone can display videos on your tv/display but iphone is different then all ipods before. you have to get special component wire for iphone to view your videos on tv. its 50 bucks in apple store but u might find some cheaper if u do some search on web.i have that cable and it works great. they probably changed the system of displaying videos because of fact that there is microphone connection in iphone headphone jack. you know... like when you take the wire you said you bought u have left, right sound ( red & white) and video yellow but in fact the parts of 3.5 mm jack which in old ipods is meant for video is meant for microphone in iphone. and i guess its same with ipod touch because when i had touch it wouldnt display videos through old style ipod adapter as well... here's the link http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...ks&mco=MTQ2MjE note that the picture there isnt right. its the component adapter not composite as the picture shows which means green/blue/red for video and red/white audio... hope i helped
    Last edited by gavko; 2008-05-17 at 08:33 PM.

You need the special cable from apple that says iphone compatible. Regular RCA cable won't work. Video iPod docks don't work either. It has to be iphone specific, reason is the cable has a chip in it that the iphone needs to recognise and only after that it will output video. NO CHIP= NO VIDEO.
    Sorry but you will have to bite the apple and buy a new cable.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

i have no problem buying the cable, as long as i know it will work. but the inputs on the brain for the tv are only red white and yellow. it doesnt have the 5 spots for that style cable.

Will the apple cable work with my red/white/yellow style input jacks on the tv?

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

no because composite video input (yellow/red/white) is old analog style and component (5 connection) is new digital kinda hd connection. thats why it wont work. your only way if you have only composite input on your tv is to get converter from component input to composite output. you might get lucky in local radioshack or try some online electronics store. and of course get that iphone component cable from apple. it is 50 bucks but at least it comes with wall adapter and cable itself is combined with usb wire...

thanks for your help, i guess i will get the apple wire and look for a composite adapter
    I appreciate your time.

dude they have a composite one too, just get that instead of trying to get the component one!!! I think i saw one at best buy... personally I bought the ipod av kit at walmart for 100 bux and it works great on the touch, it has the composite cable, the dock and remote :-D