Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [solved] battery problems

Default [solved] battery problems
    I am posting this after asking some of you a lot of questions regarding why my battery was depleting that easily.

Turns out that if you are in any country with a SIM card of a foreign carrier, unless you are signed up for 'roaming' with the foreign carrier, the battery will die out 4 times faster.

This is because the iPhone cannot find the right signal and KEEPS ON TRYING forever. This is unique to the iPhone and Apple hasn't fixed it yet (not even on the 1.1.4 firmware). This problem is not evident in any other phones whatsoever.

So, a reminder, when on vacation, take out the SIM card, or turn on the flight mode even when you are off the plane.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dbs For This Useful Post:

dolaramlan (2008-06-04), stocis (2008-05-17), trifster (2008-05-17)

thks dude for the tip

i'll try this out.. thx

so what are the steps to take when in the away country?

i use a local sim card there, should i switch on the roaming?
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

if u use a local sim then the iphone will find the signal its looking for and your battery wont die as quickly. (no roaming switch-on necessary)
    hit thanks if thanks are due.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbrooksr For This Useful Post:

stocis (2008-06-01), trifster (2008-05-17)

Thanks

The same issue applies domestically as well if you happen to be in an area where there is a poor signal. My son works in a large electronics store and there is no signal when he is teh the center of the building. He noticed his iPhone battery was dying really fast. I also had my battery die quickly while away for the weekend in an area on the 'edge' of a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooksr View Post
    if u use a local sim then the iphone will find the signal its looking for and your battery wont die as quickly. (no roaming switch-on necessary)
    then i've got a different issue in my country.. it keeps doing something that drains the battery really fast. 5-6hours

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
    then i've got a different issue in my country.. it keeps doing something that drains the battery really fast. 5-6hours
    basically if your phone works (ie makes a call) its not going to drain your battery as fast. Try rebooting the firmware and then selectively select apps that aren't in beta or have some sort of timer/reminder function.

nuh.. thats not it.. its something else..
    and i think i've figured it out.. its a constant need to connect to 3g

Thanks

My battery life has been consistently good since I made a habit of opening up sysinfo and killing unneeded processes after using certain apps. I noticed that mobilesafari, tris, isolitaire, mobilemail, mobilemusicplayer all stay running in teh background even after closing the app. If I go to sysinfo, kill those processes and respring, my battery life stays long.

Also, turning off wifi if I know I'm in a weak signal area and am not using wifi, and turning off edge if I'm in a poor or no signal area as well. Also make a practice of rebooting the phone completely (power off/power on) at least every day or so.