Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Router Crashes when Iphone leaves WiFi radius

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Router Crashes when Iphone leaves WiFi radius
    Hey everyone, since I got my iPhone I've had a peculiar problem with my wireless LAN...

Seems, at random, that when the iPhone leaves the WiFi radius or goes into "real" sleep mode (2 minutes or so after the display shuts off) my Linksys WRT54G router would stop sharing its internet connection with all nodes on the network. Additionally, shutting the phone off entirely (holding sleep and sliding the slider) would almost assuredly crash the router. I can only remember twice ever rebooting the phone without killing my network.

I've dealt with this manually by using factory resets and manually setting my LAN settings again and again (yes, I'm quite proficient at reconfiguring the little bastage now) however the other night I stumbled upon the answer and I wanted to share with everyone so that anyone else who has had this frustrating problem may find some relief

The key is static IP addresses... apparently the iPhone doesn't play very nicely with Linksys' DHCP server (dynamically assigns IPs to wireless devices)... I'm not exactly sure how or why the collisions were occuring but the router seems to feel the safest thing is to shut down the internet connection (again I don't know why, the router's own status page doesn't show any problems)

The solution? I simply configured my WiFi connection on the iPhone to use a static IP address and gave it a number below the starting range of the DHCP server... example:
    Router: DHCP begins at 192.168.1.100
    Iphone: Static IP of 192.168.1.99 requested

Results? Perfect harmony restored to my personal network, I've done all manner of things to try to force the errors again and to no avail, the iPhone can enter and exit the WAP range at will, even shut down while inside the radius (previously 95% assured to cause the router to fail) with no problems...

Hope this helps if anyone has experienced this as well...
    -G

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Geigerslave For This Useful Post:

LTrever (2009-01-04)

Thats like pretty much impossible...

Sun spots?!?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dunno, I've never seen a router crash from a DHCP client leaving the range either, but it was happening... I thought at first that it was the iPhone having some kind of problem with non-apple wifi, but that not only doesn't make sense for apple to do but it also wouldn't be fixed just by assigning a static IP... I don't know, I'm not really trying to diagnose a mystery like that, just letting anyone who cares know how I fixed it...
    -G

YES! This fixes my exact problem, but with a Ipod Touch 2G and the aformentioned Linksys WRT54G.

Same fix, I just assigned a static .99 address outside the DHCP range.

Strange and stupid problem, if you ask me. I would probably have tried upgrading the Hyperwrt firmware (for reference, I was using v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c [May 12 2006]

BTW to the original poster -- when I had this problem, simply unplugging the router and plugging it back end fixed it -- I did NOT have to re-configure it (ugh that must have sucked).

Anyways -- thanks for posting this!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BMNB1tches For This Useful Post:

LTrever (2009-01-04)

How is even possible? I mean I can accept the iphone to crash for some wifi reason, but not the router itself. Anybody got any info on this?

Red face This describes my problem exactly!
    We have been having the very same problem with the ipod touch 2g connecting to a linksys WRT54G router. The static ip address fix seems to have done the trick. In the past several days, before finding this post, I have had to power down modem and router 4 or 5 times to fix the problem. It was crashing almost daily.

What a relief. Thank you!