Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FULL Black iPhone guide Step-By-Step

Default FULL Black iPhone guide Step-By-Step
    I have been delaying doing this for a while. Just incase I ran into some errors but its been a little close to a month now and as you will read it seems like im home free.
    Please dont be mistaken, this IS a guide on how to install a black backing onto your phone. You can buy it here for 46.99$ but I got mine off eBay for about 40 shipped.
    First off let me say that this was not a one day project for me, I have very high levels of paitence and it took all i had to get thought this. I speard it out over three days.

Supply List
    The only tools that I actually used can be bought off of www.ifixit.com, I used a Metal Spudger, TWO sets of iPod opening tools, 00 size screwdriver, paperclip, Goof Off Adhesive removed and Q-Tips.

Installation

Taking out your SIM card
    Tools: Paperclip
    No Picture

There is a hole in the top of your iPhone, to the right of the headphone jack with a hole that appears to be the size of a paper clip, it is. Put the clip in there and with a little force ittl pop right out, put that in a safe spot. This is your "cell service" its self. Hopefully if your doing this kind of "hardware" moding you knew how to do this already.

Removing the Antena Cover
    Tools: Metal Spudger and iPod opening tools (Smaller one)
    Picture
    This step is a little difficult your first time, you will need to insert the Metal Sprudger into the TINY opening between the USB port and the antena cover (if the phone is facedown its on the opposite side from the "silver") Once in, you will need to "jiggle" it around a little bit, you can feel two small notches, these reqiure some force but NOT TO MUCH, just seperate them enough so theres some space between the antena cover and the otuside silver ring around the phone its self. Once you see a small gap instert the green iPod opening tool into it and guide it around the antena cover a few times, you should hear it pop once on each side. If not pry at it a little bit. Once it pops twice, just remove it.

Getting the original "Ugly" silver back off
    Tools: Metal Spudger, 00 Screwdriver, iPod opening tools (bigger green one)
    Picture
    Picture of my screws
    First you will need to remove the three screws pictures above, you NEED to keep all of the screws seprate or else you'll find your self in deep ****. What I did was take a piece of paper and some take and taped the screws into the page and labeld it.
    After you removed the screws you will need to insert the metal spudger into the gap between small silver bar and silve back (if you are looking into the iPhone towards the side) because you need to get another gap between the back of the phone and the Silver outside of the phone.
    Once you have the gap, take the bigger of the two iPod opening tools and go along the side with it, the side with out buttons should "pop" 4 times, and the side with volume should "pop" 3 times.
    Once you get all the pops go around it a few times to make sure your in the clear. Then slowely remove the back from the phone its self, try to look between the two peices you'll see a wire connecting the two parts, Just reach in and disconnect this, a finger or tool will work.

Removing the Headphone jack
    Tools: Screwdriver.
    Picture (the thing on the right side is the part its self)

This is where its start to get a little hard, please for all of our sakes as well as yours do not force these peices around and take your time.
    Now that you have the back sitting APART from the rest of the phone, look at the top, theres two screws that appear to be holding the "Sleep/Wake" button on. Remove those two. Store them.
    Next there is a screw to the left of the top of the headphone jack, this is a notically bigger screw then the rest, same size head though. Take that off. Store it.
    Next There is two screws holding in the "vibrator" Take both of those off (i lost one so be careful). When you remove the screw on the bottom of the vibrator remember that location, we will refer back in a few minuntes. Store the screws.
    Next Take the Sleep/Wake button the pull it out of its "slot" if this is taking alot of force push it from the outside in, instead of pulling it from the inside.
    Next is the headphone jack, it is recessed so it may be a little hard to pull out at first, just jiggle it a little bit and it will work its way out. I mess up here by not being careful enough with the vibrator, so please be very careful, it will save you 30$ in the long run. And hours of sadness.

Now look at the side that the volume and vibrate/ring switch are on, there should be two screws holding in the vibrate/ring, take those off. Store them.
    Next Take out the THREE screws holding the volume in, top, right and left. Store them.

All that should be left is the rear panel its self. If so, move on.

Removing the componets
    Tools: Adhesive remover, Q-Tips, Patience and lots of it. Camera?
    Picture

On a sidenote I would try to take some pictures to refer to in the next step.

Ok this is the second hardest part. Theres a million different methods for this. But it think mine is the best. Put some of the Adhesive remove into a small glass cup, and take a Q-Tip and dip it in, just run it along the metal skellington, let it sit for a while, put some more, use the Metal Spudger and SLOWELY pry away at the peices, trying your BEST not to break anything. I broke a few parts, but its no big deal, just makes it harder later on. The only words of advice I can give you is to work very slowly and when you rush things will break, they are very fragile, be careful not to get the remover on the Volume or Ring/Vib buttons because they will "decay" them. This did not happen to me using Goof Off. Use the removed to also get off the Apple logo and camera cover. I got them both off by scraping with the Metal Spudger.

Gluing it all back -Hardest Part-
    Tools: Super glue (ONLY USE THE KINDA THAT IS GOO NOT LIQUID!!!)
    No Picture

I really cant explane much becides make sure to have percision. Refer back to my pictures if you need to, they will show you where to put the headphone jack holder (most important piece to have perfect) If this piece is misplaced then your vibrate will no longer work. If you avoided breaking the parts in the step above this will be ALOT easier. Once your are done, give it a few hours to dry, if you dont it will be bad.

The Reassembly -Congradulations Your Almost There!-
    Tools: All Screws, Headphone Jack, Screwdriver 00
    No Picture
    First off I would like to Say congradulations if you have made it this far. Were almost done.
    To start off, your going to put the headphone jack back into place. Im gunna try to keep this simple follow this order for success.
    Volume Button - 3 Screws
    Vibrate/Ring Switch Holder- 2 screws
    Put the vibrate and headphone jack back into place
    Vibrator - 2 Screws
    Headphone Jack - 1 Larger Screw
    Sleep/Wake botton - Make sure to get this put back into place before you start screwing, there is only ONE way to make it go in, so please dont go and try to force something that wrong. After all, youv came this far, dont mess it up now. 2 Screws.
    If everything is done right Proceed

Reassembly Part 2
    Tools: Metal Spudger, Screwdriver 00
    No Picture

I found that the best way to plug in the Headphone Jack to the iPhone circut board is to put the plugs ontop of eachother and push down with the FLAT side of the spudger. Now please do this next step, could save you money.
    Once it is plugged back in, if you did not "disolve" your vibrate/ring switch, PLEASE make sure that the vibrate mode works. Yes it should Vibrate. If it does not, refer to "Errors."
    Then put the new black back onto the phone its self, and push it down, you'll hear a series of clicks, and it will be on. Now there might be some minor imperfections because super glue is a littler thicker then Apples BEASTLY adhesive. But its ok. Once on screw the 3 screws back into place (where the antena cover covers).

Reassembly FINAL PART!
    Tools: A Victorious Attitude.
    Photo

Make sure to slide the little flat inside the antena cover back into the small slot about the USB port, it is now alot more visable, then click it on, make sure to click it all the way and double check that it stays on.
    Thats it. Congradulations. I hope you enjoy it.

ERRORS
    My personal log of stuff that went wrong.

I some how broke my vibrator. I had to buy a new one for 30 from www.cnn.cn

Lost one screw, but i broke off one screw in port so it worked out.

Got Glue on my camera lens, it was VERY foggy, i just cleaned it with adhesive remover, works great!

My BLACK iPhone is FULLY operational, there is nothing wrong with it. I hope that this guide has helped someone else put this on their phone.

If you have any questions post/pm or email me at [email protected]

If I notice that i have left something out I will make sure to add it in!

Enjoy!

The little "knicks" is just super glue that got on the back and glued a little paper towle to it, no longer there.

Pics:

This is before the surgery, AKA me being a silve n00b.

Last edited by opticsoldier; 2008-05-15 at 12:54 AM.
    If I helped you, help me and hit thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to opticsoldier For This Useful Post:

blacksti (2008-05-17)

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

um.. this is a sticky at the top of this page. is this suppose to be better???
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to screamforme02 For This Useful Post:

blacksti (2008-05-17)

ya that was the idea, the one at the top gives links to guides and sugestions but i made it step by step

6. The Following User Says Thank You to opticsoldier For This Useful Post:

blacksti (2008-05-17)

Thanks

cool... my b

Good stuff. Pictures would have helped more also

theres pictures, but ill add more :-D

10. The Following User Says Thank You to opticsoldier For This Useful Post:

blacksti (2008-05-17)

Thanks

looking mighty slick, id like to see the apple logo and chrome trim around screen gold..iluv gooold

ya that would be sick, i thought about doing something sweet with the logo but decided to wait till i had more money

13. The Following User Says Thank You to opticsoldier For This Useful Post:

blacksti (2008-05-17)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've always wanted to do this. Looks sic. How is the fitment though? It looks a little off in the first 2 pix
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

ya i used alot of super glue on one spot, and that caused it to "be a little off" but if you dont break pieces it is totally avoidable

16. The Following User Says Thank You to opticsoldier For This Useful Post:

blacksti (2008-05-17)