Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Iphone" could not be restored. Unknown error (1604).

Quote Originally Posted by sacred View Post
    I can solve 1604. I had it too. All I did was to remove the sim card in the iphone, restart the iphone and pc, and voila, it works fine. Im on Vista Ultimate with iTunes 7.5
    Absolutely ridiculous but this step worked for me. Thanks Sacred.

I had 1604 error and it went away when I used the original white cable from Apple.

The cable with the charger I got is what bricked my phone. Then I fully read the webpage on apple.com that pops up from the error screen. It mentioned don't use a docking station and instead use the 30 pin USB connector.

On my way home from work, I got a 30pin cable from best buy. And I was so mad at apple and so disappointed in my phone, that I jailbroke it right away with spirit. Wish I hadn't waited so long!

I am getting error 1604 and my iphone has been in DFU Mode forever. Hence I restored to custom firmware for 3.1.3 with the old baseband and in the middle of the restore I get the error and the phone shuts down again (seeminlgy in DFU Mode again) I cannot seem to restart the phone at all - its black screen and no apple logo or nothing. I have been in this situation in 3 weeks and about to give up by just restoring to the latest firmware. I will loose my jailbreak via blackra1n and unlock via blacksn0w. Can someone please helP!?? My iTunes is not the latest version - its the one before the latest...9.1.? Please help!!!

Can someone please help on this!?! I am still stuck in DFU mode with error 6 in DFU Mode with the custom firmware.

This worked for me. Taken from A computer that is running Windows XP cannot detect a USB flash drive, an Apple iPod, or an external hard disk drive

To fix this problem, delete the UpperFilters registry value and the LowerFilters registry value. These values may cause access problems. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the UpperFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    4. Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 310426 How to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
    5. Locate and then click the LowerFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    7. Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. For more information about how to set or change registry editing permissions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 310426 How to set or change registry editing permissions in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003
    8. Exit Registry Editor.
    9. Restart the computer.

After restarting the computer, open iTunes, connect the iPhone and you will be prompted that the device is in Recovery mode. Click OK then click the Restore button. When you see the 1604 error again, DO NOT disconnect the iPhone or touch it - close iTunes and re-open iTunes. You will be prompted again that the device is in Recovery mode. Click OK then click the Restore button again. This time iTunes will restore your device.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12