Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone dead, can't be restored

Default iPhone dead, can't be restored
    My iPhone has just went dead on me. Try restoring it with iTunes but this pop up message appears: The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1604). Does anyone knows what this means?

The problem started when I try syncing my iPhone after a few days and iTunes could not detect it. So I try restoring it and this happened. Can someone please help?

Thanks,
    Mike

I managed to get the iPhone to work again after I run ZiPhone unlock/jailbreak software but I still can't get the iPhone to sync with iTunes.

I also noticed that all the apps that I've installed on the iPhone were missing on the 'Uninstall' list of Installer 3.1 but all the apps were still working fine. Which means I was not able to uninstall any of the apps until I re-download them and then have them uninstalled.

Does this have anything to do with updating installer 3.0 to 3.1? I don't have any problems syncing with iTunes prior to the Installer update. Does anybody have the same problem and found a solution?

.... I forgot to add that since I was last able to sync my iPhone, I have upgraded my OS from OS 10.4.11 to OS 10.5.2.

I've also reinstalled all the apps that when missing in the 'Uninstall' list and done what Apple recommended on its site regarding error message 1604 as I stated earlier but still doesn't work.

I did a search on Google about the problem and found these instructions to reinstall iTunes.

Delete then re-install iTunes Delete the following files:

The iTunes application (located in /Applications)
    com.apple.iTunes.plist (from ~/Library/Preferences)
    iTunes.pkg (from /Library/Receipts)
    iTunesX.pkg (from /Library/Receipts)
    then re-download the latest version of iTunes.

It worked for me. Now my iPhone is syncing with my iTunes again.
    Last edited by Splendid Warrior; 2008-05-08 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost