Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Incurring Data charges - but EDGE is turned OFF?

Default Incurring Data charges - but EDGE is turned OFF?
    I am using a unlocked iPhone on the Vodafone network in New Zealand.

Using the 'Services' application I have disabled EDGE and also have removed the settings from EDGE completely on other occasions, I no longer use anything related to using EDGE (stocks/weather either) - YET as I have been checking my bill ongoing I have a data charge that is slowly gathering.

Has anybody else faced such an issue? Data charges when you are not directly using anything data related and have EDGE disabled??

Are you using wifi? That can be the culprit.

Hhmm how can WiFi be the culprit? Didnt think there could possibly be any charges associated with Wifi.

The only wifi I use are personal - so not using any data as such on a pay as you go wifi spot..

Any other ideas or any one faced the same issue?? Any suggestions as to how to avoid it?

Quote Originally Posted by dane.pablecheque View Post
    Hhmm how can WiFi be the culprit? Didnt think there could possibly be any charges associated with Wifi.

The only wifi I use are personal - so not using any data as such on a pay as you go wifi spot..

Any other ideas or any one faced the same issue?? Any suggestions as to how to avoid it?
    I think but not sure, when you use wifi to open safari or check mail, the phone downloads data doesn't it? You can find out more by calling your phone carrier and asking them or someone here chime in on this. U can ask your carrier to disable the data/internet on your account, I did this before on one of my phone.

Wi-Fi does not have anything to do with your carrier.

I am under the impression that this may well be an option - requesting to have data/wap/gprs/internet disabled.

I was hoping to get to the source of the issue, I agree with the above - I did not think WiFi had anything to do with the carrier??

Quote Originally Posted by dane.pablecheque View Post
    I am under the impression that this may well be an option - requesting to have data/wap/gprs/internet disabled.

I was hoping to get to the source of the issue, I agree with the above - I did not think WiFi had anything to do with the carrier??

If you really want to know, test this out by disabling wifi also for a couple days to see if the data charge stops going up.
    Last edited by vincent6396; 2007-11-06 at 08:24 PM.

They probably suckered you two into the AT&T Hot spot service, because you obviously dont know what you're talking about.

Your carrier will not charge you for using WiFi in your own home. Period.

My thoughts exactly Benjic.

Makes no sense as to how I am recieving data costs when the settings are turned off and EDGE disabled.

Sorry about that u guys are right. Just called at&t to find out, needed to know for myself. Guess the wifey told me wrong info.

Old thread but just incase anyone reads this and is having the same issues as I was experiencing - following an upgrade to 1.1.1 and/or 1.1.2 and removing letters from the APN name works like a charm - ie:
    Go to Settings > General > Network > Edge and changing to www.vodafone.net.xx (removing/editing some of the letters) blocks the EDGE from activating.

When you require EDGE simply edit the details back for full access.

Works perfectly.

This was not and is not an issue with WiFi - obviously just something specific to 1.0.2 in my situation with my carrier and data/EDGE/GPRS usage.

iPhone 8gb
    1.0.2 OTB> 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.1.3
    Unlocked with Ziphone 2.3
    Operating in New Zealand