Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why does iTunes need to convert a h.264 mp4 file

Question Why does iTunes need to convert a h.264 mp4 file
    I created an H.264 mp4 from dvd in aimersoft video converter and in cucusoft ultimate and I can't just drag and drop into my iphone using itunes, I have to right click on the movie and convert it for iphone. Does the movie need to be plain mpeg4, not h.264 encoded for it to work by drag and drop and sync instead of converting again through itunes? Please someone guide me.
    (I used video bitrate 900kps, audio 96kps, mpeg-4 encoded h.264) Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It might also have to do with the data rate, here are the specs of a compatible video I have on mine, this one's a .m4v TV show purchase from iTunes:

Format: AAC Stereo audio at 44.1 kHz, 128 bitrate
    H.264 AVC0 Media codec at 640 x 480 pixels, millions of colors
    Data rate: 1244.50 kbits/sec

In iTunes itself, it will also tell a profile, I've never seen anything aside 'Low Complexity' but when you choose the 'Convert selection for iPod' it's using whatever presets are appropriate for playback on the iPod/iPhone. Even if all settings look right but the data rate is too high, it won't sync.

I just looked at a non-purchased video (ripped from YouTube then converted for iPod/iPhone use) and the specs are very similar aside the data rate, which is lower because YouTube vids are encoded with low data rates to help streaming. If I recall, I think exceeding 2500 kbits/sec prevents it from being used on the devices.
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

I am way below the max bitrate. Here are the specs of the original converted file in cucusoft ultimate:

movie.mp4
    Kind: mpeg-4 video file
    Profile: Low Complexity
    Size: 669.6MB
    Channels: Stereo
    Bit rate: 111kbps
    Total Bit rate: 1111kbps
    Video Dimensions: 480x320
    Video Codec: H.264

Then iTunes made me convert it to the following:
    movie.m4v
    Kind: mpeg-4 video file
    Profile: Low Complexity
    Size: 952.2MB
    Channels: Stereo
    Bit rate: 120kbps
    Total Bit rate: 1584kbps
    Video Dimensions: 480x320
    Video Codec: H.264

My original file is even less a bit rate then the itunes converted one, so what could be the problem? iTunes converted a .mp4 to .m4v why?

enen with videora, i still need to right click in itunes and say convert to iphone, anyone please help.
    Last edited by m600i; 2008-05-04 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost