Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone freezes at activation screen, nothing works.

Default iPhone freezes at activation screen, nothing works.
    My iPhone also freezes at the activation screen (can't do anything, "slide for emergency" doesn't work either), and after like 10 minutes reboots itself.

every firmware downgrade/upgrade succeeds, but the activation screen freeze always persists.

Anyone got a solution for this?

are you talking about anysim and the slider wont move?

"My iPhone freezes at the activation screen" not anysim.....

Is it unlocked, or is this OTB?

Reako

Did you find any solutions? My phone does exactly the same: My iPhone also freezes at the activation screen (can't do anything, "slide for emergency" doesn't work either), and after like 10 minutes reboots itself.

every firmware downgrade/upgrade succeeds, but the activation screen freeze always persists.

Did you fix yours ?
    ANYBODY ?

I have the exact same problem. No 1 is willing to help when they fix theirs. This sucks. Please let me know if you find a solution.

anyone had any luck? i have the exact same problem! please help.

Thanks
    Here's the deal. I've seen a couple posts of the same nature. I'll describe your problem and if I'm correct then follow these very simple instructions.

Your phone will boot but freeze at the main screen. In an attempt to correct it you decided to restore/downgrade/upgrade, right? only now it will get to the activation screen or might even still be at the itunes logo screen and freeze. Shoot a couple of you might have even gotten to a home screen but it's still frozen. You get a small bit of false hope ever 6-7 minutes when your phone shuts off and restarts, right? But still NOTHING.

If this sounds like you then here's what you need to do. It's going to sound weird but everyone I've talked to with this problem and told them to this it works. 9 successful repairs just from my circle of online/RL friends.

No matter where you're at, go to itunes and hit restore. It won't work of course but that's ok. This loads 1.1.2 firmware into your phone.

Now, if your phone is still recognized by itunes skip ahead, if you're phone is unrecognized by itune then put your phone in restore mode (hold home/power keys till shut off then hold home till restore mode).

Now restore again, what this does is assure that NO hacked items are in your phone and makes sure that any mixed up files from 1.1.2 are now corrected. You may not need to do this but everyone I've told to do it twice works great.

Here's the hardest part, Leave your phone on and don't touch it for a few days (2~3 is what most are doing). DON'T LEAVE IT ON THE CHARGER, LET IT DIE! This kills your phone and removes all trace amounts of power that's keeping the issues alive. At this point I told everyone to go to Walmart or some place and buy a $19 prepaid phone and put your sim card in it for a few days (Good side: you'll be able to use your number while waiting, Bad side: it makes you REALLY miss your iphone.)

After a few days power up your phone. You should see the dead battery sign. Set it on the cradle and it should start charging after a few minutes you should be able to get the restore screen and you can slide for emergency call.

open itunes and restore.

TADA! your phone is fixed. Feel free to hack-a-way again. You now have a virgin iPhone with 1.1.2 firmware so search something like "modding 1.1.2" or something here there are lots of great tuts on this site.

I hope this helps you, like I said it's help several of my friends not to mention me. My phone did this a few months ago, I'm trying to figure out why so if you send me a message with some info it might be helpful. Send me firmware, anysim or no, version of itunes, mac or PC. Not to scare you but so far a LOT of people with this problem are from Windows

MS*** is on the right path, however, after 2 weeks with 1.1.2, the phone started breaking down and then locked the slider again.

To fix this for good, you need to VIRGINSE the phone, not just upgrade to 1.1.2. 1.1.2 doesnt fix the slider freeze. Follow my method below. It has worked on several phones:

Typical Case:

A friend of mine has an originally 1.0.2 iphone (which was upgraded to 1.1.1) with the issue where his phone occasionally reboots and then looses the touch capability at the activation screen (eg. the slide to unlock doesnt work).

I found out from him that while using 1.0.2 and anysim unlocked, he had no issues, but the phone was not virginsed before the update to 1.1.1, then re-unlocked using anysim 1.1, and then the problems started.

So my first aim was to get the slider back, then revirginise it using the Virginising tools in the repository http://i.unlock.no

NOTE: For all iTunes restores, i used iTunes version 7.4.3.

First step:

FIX THE SLIDER!!

*****REMOVE SIM CARD!!*****

1. Attach USB cable to laptop and phone, then put phone into DFU mode (his could be put into dfu mode) buy holding both buttons till screen turns off, then releasing top button while keep holding the home button.
    2. Download the very first and original ver 1.0 restore file from http://www.iphone.unlock.no/#restore-firmware-files
    3. In itunes, restore to firmware 1.0 and wait for the error message at the end
    4. Use ibrickr 0.91 to boot out of DFU mode
    5. Check the slider - it should now be working

Virginise to fix the baseband, firmware and secpack & back to a working 1.1.1 (1.1.1 only):

1. Attach to USB and put phone into DFU mode as noted already above.
    2. Download 1.1.1 firmware from same location noted above.
    3. in itunes, restore back to 1.1.1

****UNPLUG FROM USB****

4. insert a SIM card (any GSM sim), ignore the "incorrect SIM", etc messages and do the *#307# etc, jailbreakme AppSnap method

****REMOVE SIM CARD!!!******

5. once jailbroken, add the following repository in the installer - http://i.unlock.no and then refresh the sources
    6. In installer, go to "SYSTEM" and install the BSD SUBSYSTEM (MUST BE INSTALLED BEFORE virginising)
    7. Ensure the screen lock is set to "never"
    8. look for the UNLOCKING section under installer, and select the VIRGINISING by fredrik (1.8mb version) - Do not install OneSIM
    9. install the VIRGINISIER and wait 10 minutes
    10. after the virginiser has fixed the baseband, secpack and firmware, put the phone into DFU mode again as above
    11. Attach to USB and put phone into DFU mode as noted already above.
    12. in itunes, restore back to 1.1.1.

****INSTALL SIM CARD now****

13. Jaibreak using the jailbreakme.com method (*#307# etc etc)
    14. in the installer, go to SYSTEM, and install BSD SUBSYSTEM
    15. in the installer, go to UTILITIES, and install AnySIM 1.1
    16. Ensure the screen lock is set to "never"
    17. run AnySIM from the home menu
    18. Unlocked!
    19. Done..!

If you started from 1.1.2, and not 1.1.1, then follow these steps instead:

Virginise to fix the baseband, firmware and secpack & back to a working 1.1.2 (1.1.2 only):

1. Attach to USB and put phone into DFU mode as noted already above.
    2. Download both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 firmware from same location noted above.
    3. in itunes, restore to 1.1.1 (dont go to 1.1.2 just yet) and use ibrickr 0.91 to boot out of DFU mode

****UNPLUG FROM USB****

4. insert a SIM card (any GSM sim), ignore the "incorrect SIM", etc messages and do the *#307# etc, jailbreakme AppSnap method

****REMOVE SIM CARD!!!******

5. once jailbroken, add the following repository in the installer - http://i.unlock.no and then refresh the sources
    6. In installer, go to "SYSTEM" and install the BSD SUBSYSTEM (MUST BE INSTALLED BEFORE virginising)
    7. Ensure the screen lock is set to "never"
    8. look for the UNLOCKING section under installer, and select the VIRGINISING by fredrik (1.8mb version) - Do not install OneSIM
    9. install the VIRGINISIER and wait 10 minutes
    10. after the virginiser has fixed the baseband, secpack and firmware, put the phone into DFU mode again as above
    11. Attach to USB and put phone into DFU mode as noted already above.
    12. in itunes, restore back to 1.1.2 to get the 1.1.2 baseband, firmware and secpack.
    13. after 1.1.2 has restored, in itunes, restore back to 1.1.1 so you can load OktoPrep so that you can jailbreak 1.1.2.

****INSTALL SIM CARD now****

14. Jaibreak using the jailbreakme.com method (*#307# etc etc)

****REMOVE SIM CARD NOW!****

15. in the installer, go to TWEAKS 1.1.1 and install OktoPrep
    16. plug the iphone into USB and go into iTunes
    17. UPGRADE (dont restore) to 1.1.2 when prompted by iTunes
    18. once upgraded, close itunes, and run the JAILBREAK 1.1.2 from Conceated Software
    19. once the jailbreak has finished, and the phone boots twice, go to installer and add the source http://modmyi.com/installer.xml and under MODMYIFONE.COM list, install anysim 1.2.1u
    17. Ensure the screen lock is set to "never"
    18. run AnySIM from the home menu
    19. Unlocked!
    20. Done..!

Hopefully this helps you out guys - from my experience. I understand that when the screen locks itself it has a firmware malfunction, probably caused by a bad unlock or upgrading from a previously software unlocked 1.0/1.0.1 or 1.0.2 firmware version without virginising properly. If the phone was an OTB 1.1.1, then there was probably a bad firmware upgrade from 1.0.2 during the manufacture in China (the majority of 1.1.1 phones were just upgraded from 1.0.2, before release to stop hacking and unlocking)

Cheers
    Last edited by cheetah2k; 2008-01-03 at 04:50 AM.

Guys, please help me! I'm stucked already in the 1st step where I have to restore with the firmware 1.0.0. It says the iPhone couldn't be restored with the error (1). I've tried to restore on Windows and Mac...

I would be very, very, very grateful if someone can help me out...

Thx a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah2k View Post
    http://modmyi.com/installer.xml and under MODMYIFONE.COM list, install anysim 1.2.1u
    17. Ensure the screen lock is set to "never"
    18. run AnySIM from the home menu
    19. Unlocked!
    20. Done..!

Cheers
    Between steps 17 & 18 should you not have 17a Put the phone into airplane mode ?

I'm sure I had to do this when I upgraded to 1.1.2 to prevent the springboard from crashing ?

Just a thought...

please guys help me out...

I just got an iPhone and now mine's crashing a lot just like everyone else here. Mine also crashes just after phone calls though... I've tried everything I can think of (erase baseband, bootneuter 3.9, 4.6, DFU restore, etc).

This thread gave me some new ideas though - I'll try the restore to 1.0.0 method, but I'm pretty doubtful that will work (I'm happy to be proven wrong though) & I'll also try the 'drain the battery' method.

If all else fails, I guess I'm sending it back to Apple... I hope they replace it

Ok with 1.1.4 get the same problem.. will the fix above work?

Hi All,

What my experience was that my phone hang and I was locked in the Passcode page. I was unable to key in my passcode as the screen has no feel when i touch. I had tried all method of resetting the phone, using ZIPHONE to restore and all, it was no use. I tried putting the phone unused for 2 weeks or more, but it did not kill the battery

Until i read this article, i tried to Restore to 1.1.2 using Itunes, but it did not work. So i downloaded 1.1.4 and who knows, the phone was ALIVE AGAIN....Thank GOD!!!

Hence, I would encourged those with similar problem, click Restore and tried 1.1.4.

GOD Bless!