Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I cracked the screen / glass on my phone!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default I cracked the screen / glass on my phone!!!
    I ended up losing my iphone this saturday at a festival here in atlantas stone mountain, and on Monday i bought another one. Well, tuesday I was chasing after my puppy when he ran out in front of a car and I dropped my brand new iPhone and now the screen is cracked. So I need to find someone who can fix them on the low. I mean, the phone still works, just a spiderweb of cracks all over the place. I even heard of the $5 screen replacement hack, but Im not willing to open up my phone. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ive used the search function and everyone has threads that just says "You're screwed, buy another one". The few sites that I have seen that do it are either sold out of LCD replacements or I cant find any reviews to vouch for the site. I am looking for advice from someone with experience. I am even willing to pay for someone to do the $5 replacement, as long as we can come up with terms where I will not get burned on this deal.

The glass on the top is shattered, but the LCD is perfect, no dead pixels, nothing. So everything is perfect in that sense with it. Its just that top glass

I just want to be back on my iPhone!!!! I dont want to buy a 3rd iphone, my pockets are killing me, and my girlfriend is trying to get a piece because I keep dumping money in this situation. I am not trying to go to the Apple Store, as I never have had a AT&T contract, my phone is unlocked, etc. etc. etc. So let me know if you can help

iPhone? More like MyPhone derrickb16's Avatar
    Thanks

relock it get take it in store say you haven't activated it yet make sure it's registered in your name you dropped it one day when you were on your way home to activate it they should give you a new one

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

hey man that 5 bucks "hack" isnt about opening the phone.its just about scraping off the broken glass and sticking the 1/32" plastic sheet instead. its easy and very cheap replacement. but i would try to get new replacement from apple. i was at almost exact same situation as ur now. i gave mine first iphone to my mother and bought new onr from apple.com and 3rd day i had it i dropped it from about a foot and glass broke. true is i had to spend like a week on the phone with apple telling them that it came like that to me with fedex and unfortunatelly they send me new one in like 2 weeks.i even got all accesories again coz i sent out only phone itself.i was lucky enought so i wish you same. good luck buddy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well, truth is, I bought this one from someone on craigslist so I can get it cheaper, and it was just the phone and charger, so no box. I went to the apple store yesterday, and they said if I give them $250 they will swap it out then and there. But I just dropped $300 on the phone! No way am I going to put $500 into a 8GB.

I'm thinking about the $5 trick, but I dont have access to a dremel, etc. and I'm not sure that I want to go that route because I dont want to mess up my phone.

Ive been looking for a site online that I can mail it off to, but I cant find any reviews or recommendations anywhere. Worse comes to worst, ill do the $5 plastic thing, and if I mess up, still take it to apple when the new phone comes out and just put the $250 with it

how many people have done the plastic screen ($5 hack). i have broken my second screen now and very tired to this glass problem. (come on cant drop your phone!!) I dont want getto phone dose this look or like sh**..???

someone just posted on how to replace the screen
    iPINOYP

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jbee For This Useful Post:

Volpar (2008-06-09)

thank you do you know were ???

you can get Parts here.

Code:
    http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/store.php?cat_id=380

Open it here.

Code:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/2422-13791_11-169449.html
    Or here

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=X1z0pw2VK7M&rel=1&eurl=http%3A//www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc%3FScreen%3DCTGY%26Category_Code%3DRD&iurl=http%3A//i.ytimg.com/vi/X1z0pw2VK7M/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskI6NFSu-b_j_NJBXAEa-Hc6
    Last edited by Spudson; 2008-06-09 at 09:50 PM.

Scraping off the broken glass is not really that easy, when I did it, it required a lot of force and the touchscreen digitizer below it is very fragile.
    It can be done successfully with some patience and care, however.

You can buy replacement glass or use thin plexiglass, but no matter what, it won't look as good as new because you'll have airspace between the outer glass (or plastic) and the digitizer which reduces clarity and increases glare in sunlight a little.

send it to me, I'll fix it for ya! *wink wink*
    trust me! I "WILL" send your phone back after it's fixed