Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Call Button design

Default iPhone Call Button design
    Does anybody have a diagram or schematic for the way that the earbuds are wired. Specifically i would like to know how the in call button works.

I assume that is a momentary switch?

Is the switches natural position on or off?

I would like to know what it is wired to/from?

- Is it inline with the microphone or is it a seperate input?

I will explain the application to you. I use a special throat mic with sure earplugs which all works great when plugged into the iPhone. Naturally I do not have a call button already assembled for this setup. I have a PTT for a handie talkie, it wont work (no surprise). I would graft a aftermarket or OEM call button except that I do not want the microphone (already have a throat mike).

I would appreciate any information pertaining to this.

I have full access of tools to make such a device, just need to know specifics.

Once I make one I would be happy to make for anyone else at cost.

Question Earphone design
    I have been looking for the same info
    I listen to my iPhone alot while riding my motorcycle but the volume even maxed out is still to low so i have made a mini headphone amp and attached earphones and a mic into my helmet
    the jack on our factory earbuds looks like this

ll <--1 right
    ll <--2 left
    ll <--3 mic and earphone ground----|
    ll <--4 mic positive-------------------| connect to call
    Four connections
    I havent finished making this mod but here is my theory on how it will work

by comparing the design of a standard earphone jack and this crazy thing
    it looks as if 1 & 2 are the right and left earphones while 3 & 4 are the mic (the mic and the earphones share the same ground)
    3 will ohm out to all connections except for 4
    3 & 4 appear to be the momentary switch (call button)

i know this is all very vague but i havent assembled everything yet and so far this is just how i see it working

I hope this info can be helpful

very helpful. I'm not sure what earphones you are using, but sure earphones keep me from having to max out the volume. For my harley bagger clients at S&B cycle I reccommend using an mp3 amplifier program to boost the mp3's output before loading the songs

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

itunes will boost the volume on any song, I dont know if it loads into the phone with it but i know it does it

hey any luck with your call button yet. I was vaguely considering trying a wireless remote but the bluetooth does not supprt that. I mean a full remote mounted on the handlebar would be pretty sweet.