Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can iPhone be external disc like old iPods

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can iPhone be external disc like old iPods
    I would like to store data on the iPhone, or in other words use it like an external disc.

Please advice

You can add files to your iPhone through SSH.

I have a guide on how to SSH on my youtube page (youtube.com/victorsvalient)

Then you can just make a folder somewhere, preferably not in "System" and drag your files there.

For example, you could make a folder in var/mobile/ called "My Files" and drag your stuff there.

To get your files back just SSH again.
    Hit "Thanks" if I helped
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wearmaize For This Useful Post:

Kajik (2008-04-26)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah,

You put me in the right direction.

Problem is the every-time I download OPEN SSH it will start the installation process and produce a pop-up window telling that it will take some 30-45 seconds to obtain the keys and when I OK it the Main Menu window comes up with the (right) apple spinning wheel -but than it suddenly pops in the shut locked window - Peng! that's it and no finished install and no SSH icon in the menu window either. Did several DL and multiple install attempts all with the same result??!

There's no icon for Open SSH. Just download bossprefs to toggle it on and off.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GregTheWang For This Useful Post:

Kajik (2008-04-26)

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

also you can use afp if you have a mac
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to desepticon For This Useful Post:

Kajik (2008-04-26)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you all for the good advice.

I have spend my afternoon chasing a white elephant. IN true STUPOR style I thought I may have pwned it incomplete and started a restore - forgot the (free) SIM in the iPhone and restored via Apple. --> SUPER BLIND <--

Now the iphone will not let me restore using Pwnage Tool and only shows one path and that is to activate it at O2 UK.

I tried it all and end up getting ERROR "1604" or "Failed to start "pwning" on your iPhone.

I'm royal well ******.

Green Apple
    Thanks

A DFU restore will undo everything pwnage writes. You should be able to DFU restore to 1.1.4 and start all over again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GoIrish For This Useful Post:

Kajik (2008-04-26)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The iphone is displaying a lock icon on the very top right in the midle.
    How do I go about to DFU restore?

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is the way I do it. There are many threads on this and the timing is pretty critical to enter DFU mode. I open iTunes and connect phone. Then I hold the sleep and home buttons until the screen turns black, count to 2 and release ONLY the sleep button. Continue holding the home button until iTunes recognizes the phone in restore mode. The screen should still be all black, if you see the "connect to itunes" icon you are not in DFU mode. Keep trying till ya get it. Shift click the restore button, locate your 1.1.4 firmware and restore it. When it is finished you will have a factory fresh phone to start the pwnage process with.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GoIrish For This Useful Post:

Kajik (2008-04-26)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK- I'm on it!

OK It went well until the window with msg You have restored to factory settings - than the phone restarted and opened iTunes. I started Pwnage Tool and it failed to start pwning??!
    Last edited by Kajik; 2008-04-26 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

just quit out of iTunes and iTunes helper.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wearmaize For This Useful Post:

Kajik (2008-04-26)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I HAVE DONE IT!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! I'M VERY GRATEFUL TO YOU ALL.

For the record I will recall my time in "RESTART HELL".

It all started about 24 Hours ago when I restored without hiting he option key and thus running a Appel/O2 UK restore. By doing so I had given the Apple/O2 restore/update server the opportunity to tag the iPhone and have it interfere the pwning via iTunes. The Pwning Tool would frequently stop the update process because iTunes changed my settings from RESTORE to NORMAL! In the end I NEVER removed iPhone from the dock and whenever iTunes would reset iPhone to Normal - I would close Pwning Tool - and reset iPhone to Restore mode: Pinapple and our Russian Friend n all, who will occupy "connect to iTunes" once there, off the unlock/update process went until the next iTunes interruption would start this process over again.

To anyone in the same situation my advice is:

A) Make sure your DFU restore is rock solid. Yes, timing IS the key here!
    B) Keep iPhone in dock and reset from dock the mode to RESTORE everytime iTunes kicks you back into NORMAL.

With this info at hand you should be able to do this in, well lets say 2 hours, what took me 24 hours, granted I slept for 4.

Thanx and Flick that Finger.

First, I did get it Pwned, but than it failed at the load custom ipsw, giving an Error 1600 msg.

Now pwning is not possible because it will, after closing iTunes, report iphone in NORMAL mode rather than in RESTORE mode. iTunes is checking with the home server apple/O2 and if I cut the WAN iTunes blocks....??? I'm frazzeled - feels like 1995 trying to update from MAc OS 7.6 to OS 8 with sleeping among the restarts - x-eyed n' painless..16Hours into it ---HELP pls
    Last edited by Kajik; 2008-04-26 at 07:37 PM.