Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Who repairs iPhones?

Default Who repairs iPhones?
    I just dropped mine in the toilet...don't flame just help please

Apple does

Honestly if it is water damaged, your probably better off buying a new one, unless you can dissassemble the phone yourself and figure out what all is fried. Otherwise it could get too costly.

Thanks

Well don't bring it to apple, your warranty is gone and the water damage indicator is on. Get a new one best bet.

Hmmm.....I would have NO idea. This is going to sound EXTREMELY IDIOTIC and I'm sure you WON'T believe it, but my friend left it in the washer, so she just put it in the dryer.
    She said it worked like a charm. LOL. Happened to her mom once and her twice again.

Thanks

just dont touch it for a few days. Stick it in a bowl of rice and put it in a dark/ dry(maybe warm) area for like 2-4 days. After that, if it does not work, leave it on the charger for a long while. I remember my mom wash my old phone and found it laying on the bottom of the washer. I left it in rice for a day, and just left it on the charge for like 3 days. I just try pressing the on button, and it worked. so maybe this will work to.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Thanks will be trying now....what does the rice do though?

I have fixed 3 water damaged cell phones in the past. 2 nokia phones and 1 moto razr. I only recommend doing this as a last resort and im not sure if it would work for the iphone.

Once you are convinced it wont work again... even after letting it dry out as best as you can. What I have done in the past is submerged my phone in the most pure iso alcohol I can find for 60 seconds or so... let it dry out for another few days (alcohol doesnt take long to evaporate at room temp). Then attempt to turn it on again.

I only recommend doing this as a last resort... but it has worked for me in the past.

Oh btw... the reason they are using rice is because it will obsorb moisture
    Last edited by MariJ; 2008-04-25 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah the alcohol (try to find techical alcohol.its like 90-100%) thing is true. it helps clean all connections and get rid of all residue what water could have left on the boards by just letting it dry. then let it dry for couple days and only thing what will be damaged will be battery.(still better then buing new phone) but it will almost definitely work. i did it with couple phones and pda also.

The more pure you can find the alchy the better ... gavko is right... it will clean the circuits but your battery life will most likely be greatly reduced. Better then nothing tho!

Well, a couple weeks ago my GF dropped her phone in a cup of water, that killed it. I sent it in to apple and they replaced it.

Good luck getting apple to replace it if the water indicators have turned pink... (or atleast thats what colour they turn in all the cell phones i know of, I have yet to open up an iphone... one day!)

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Well, a couple weeks ago my GF dropped her phone in a cup of water, that killed it. I sent it in to apple and they replaced it.
    Did you tell them it dropped in water? I was going to buy me another iphone today..

bump
    Last edited by Maknificent; 2008-04-26 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Don't try to send to Apple if the indicator's on... that's like the first thing they look at.

Are you sure...in this thread someone said they sent a water'ed iphone back to apple

tried to cut phone on....no go....plugged it up to cpu...it says unrecognized device
    Last edited by Maknificent; 2008-04-28 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I believe the water indicator on the itouch/iphones are in the headphone jack... Not 100% sure. Just shine a flashlight down the headphone jack and see if your water indicator has turned red.

Yes the water indicator is in the headphone jack. I had gotten mine wet and it turned pink. Anybody know how to change it back?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hfdfighter View Post
    Yes the water indicator is in the headphone jack. I had gotten mine wet and it turned pink. Anybody know how to change it back?
    I think i heard you use a Q-tip and dry it off? Not 100% on this, if someone can correct me.

Once it turns pink... its not going to turn back white from drying it.

Iv heard of people putting a little piece of tissue down the shaft to fool apple into thinkin its still white.

i tried and reset my iphone but still itunes wont recognize it. I updated my itunes but still no luck. ipone 1.1.4
    my scren keeps on blinking but nothing else happens

^
    What does that have to do with water damage?