Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wrong time shown when recieve SMS?

Default Wrong time shown when recieve SMS?
    There are many times that when i recieve a SMS, the time is incorrect, is there a fix for this? it's off by 4-5 hours

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Have you checked with the sender to see if perhaps it IS showing the right time, and the issue is in fact that its coming in late?

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powa View Post
    There are many times that when i recieve a SMS, the time is incorrect, is there a fix for this? it's off by 4-5 hours
    Go to settings, general, date and time.

Set automatically = NO
    Time Zone = where you are
    Time Zone Support = ON
    Time zone = where you are

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

beverly.ward (2007-10-31), powa (2007-10-30), tonydeli7 (2007-11-18), toyvan (2007-11-03)

sweet thank you! looks like the set automatic time is still in the US area =) turning it off works, thank you =)

whoo ! worked for me as well. thanks. =)

hmm... the out going SMS times are correct, but the incoming SMS are incorrect still, is there any other issue that will affect this?

i get this problem when i get a msg from vietnam other than that its fine for local networks here in the philipines

Hi guys.... i'm from Argentina, and ihave the same problem with my iphone, the text messages timestamp is wrong. Only for incoming messeges.

Any help ?

I am also from Argentina and I having the same problem. Just as reference, are you using personal or movistar network?

AT&T has always had problems with the times of texts. I just try not to worry about it.

Default Same Problem Here
    Im also from Argentina, running my iPhone with Telecom Personal, and when I receive a SMS, it shows me the wrong time (-3 hour difference) . Can anyone please help me out what to do?
    Thanks in advance

Same problem here and im from canada and in the eastern time zone. Texts times are always ****ed up.

Is there a way to fix the problem???? Im sick of not knowing when ppl last text'd me.

ok it worked for me for awhile until the dst kicked in. im also in canada eastern time and now it's off by 5 hours. for example, the time shown on the text msg will be 6 AM, and the actual time is 11 AM. i havent been able to fix it....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've posted the fix for this issue just do a search for threads done by me and you will find the fix I had thesame problem and it will fix the incoming and out going times.

Lighter

Quote Originally Posted by mzkaye729 View Post
    ok it worked for me for awhile until the dst kicked in. im also in canada eastern time and now it's off by 5 hours. for example, the time shown on the text msg will be 6 AM, and the actual time is 11 AM. i havent been able to fix it....

Quote Originally Posted by 1_iPhone_Lovin_Canadian View Post
    Same problem here and im from canada and in the eastern time zone. Texts times are always ****ed up.

Is there a way to fix the problem???? Im sick of not knowing when ppl last text'd me.
    hey im from eastern canada as well, in Toronto, does anyone know how to fix it? maybe little patch like the "fix" ones?

Quote Originally Posted by powa View Post
    hey im from eastern canada as well, in Toronto, does anyone know how to fix it? maybe little patch like the "fix" ones?
    The reason why incoming sms is getting the wrong time stamp is because the iphone is adding/subtracting your GMT offset to the message.

Example: The sms comes from say the Rogers tower with time stamp of 8PM, once it reaches the phone, the phone adds/subtracts the offset to that timestamp so in the case of Toronto you get 3PM timestamp. Since we are GMT-5, and that is what we set the iphone to, it will every time change the time or received messages because it doesn't realize the messages are not GMT 0.

Only way around this right now is to set your timezone to one that is GMT 0, like morocco, that way when you get sms the iphone will not add/sub any offset and therefore you get the timestamp from the rogers tower.

Unfortunately doing this screws up your world phone and your emails time stamps. So now you have to choose which is more important.
    Last edited by The Punisher; 2007-11-21 at 06:14 AM.

This have fixed my problem.

Set automatically for date and time.
    Insert an other carrier'sim card in the iphone, just for few secondes that it takes carriers settings. Take it out.

Insert your usual sim.

It is magic, sms time stamp is now correct !
    Last edited by migone; 2008-01-30 at 09:50 AM.

This didn't work for me. In fact, as soon as I set automatically for date and time, my time is messed up. When I change the sim card, nothing changes, I installed it back and nothing.

My time was messed up, my sms timestamp too..
    This is killing me.

Thanx for everything