Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EDGE/GPRS issues

Default EDGE/GPRS issues
    Hi, first of all, I'd like to clarify the fact that I'm not the most educated iPhone user.

I purchased my O2 8GB iPhone last week, unlocked and jailbroke it. It is currently running on version 1.1.4 and is unlocked onto the Virgin network. However, I do not want to pay data costs, as this is not included in my contract.

I disabled EDGE by going to Settings > General > Network > EDGE and then typing "DISABLED" into the "APN", "Username" and "Password" Boxes, and this has worked, as Safari will no longer connect to EDGE.

However, the GPRS icon (the blue square?) keeps showing in the status bar. Whenever I hit the "sleep" button on my iPhone, then wake it again, the GPRS icon is almost always showing and I think I am having to pay for this. The icon sometimes only shows for a few seconds, then it switches back to the WiFi signal strength icon. Or sometimes, it remains on for a minute or so. iPhone keeps deciding to switch from my home WiFi network to GPRS randomly. When there is no WiFi in the area, the GPRS icon is shown.

How can I completely disable any form of internet on my iPhone with the exception of WiFi?

Thank you in advance.

you're not paying.. that icon never leaves my homescreen either.
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stocis For This Useful Post:

im_ant (2008-04-23)

okay, thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

when your phone is locked it disconnects from wifi to save power, hence why you see the gprs icon. if you want to be extra sure that everything is turned off, download bossprefs and turn edge to off. as long as there is not an IP address associated with it, you're not connected

thanks everyone, problem solved