Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iphone - how can I get it fixed without contract with AT&T?

Default Unlocked iphone - how can I get it fixed without contract with AT&T?
    Hi everybody, I have an iphone running on t-mobile and recently my lock button stopped working. I brought the phone to my apple store and they told me they need the original sim card to be able to fix it... of course I still have it, but I'm stuck with t-mobile and I can't possibly afford two contracts at the same time. I was wondering if there's a viable method to get my phone fixed without activating...

Do you know if I can trick them into fixing my phone by using somebody else's AT&T sim card? I heard they activate the phone right away, so I guess my friend would get stuck with the data plan... also, what about returning the phone by mail? Can I use just whatever phone number is activated with an i-phone (in that case I have a friend with an iphone) or that will not work either?

Help!

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

i would try to restore and place the att sim inside and maybe sign up for a prepaid account or just restore and stick the att card in and tell tell it was a gift or something like that. they cant deny u service. stick it to the man
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Best way:
    Restore your iPhone. If it ask for a back it up, say no. After your done restoring and if it ask you to "set up as new phone" or "restore back up: blah blah" click set up as new phone. Put your T-mobile sim in, and if it doesnt work your good for a return(just make sure to sync your music to make it less obvious). If it does and the T-mobile sim works, rejailbreak, use re-virginizer to make your iphone become AT&T again, restore, set up as new phone, sync music, disconnect iphone from comp, insert sim(at&t), go to apple.

Hit thanks if helped

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    Best way:
    Restore your iPhone. If it ask for a back it up, say no. After your done restoring and if it ask you to "set up as new phone" or "restore back up: blah blah" click set up as new phone. Put your T-mobile sim in, and if it doesnt work your good for a return(just make sure to sync your music to make it less obvious). If it does and the T-mobile sim works, rejailbreak, use re-virginizer to make your iphone become AT&T again, restore, set up as new phone, sync music, disconnect iphone from comp, insert sim(at&t), go to apple.

Hit thanks if helped
    Hey, first of all thank you for your help, but I don't get the sequence... the phone works flawlessly EXCEPT for the sleep button (the one at the top that locks the phone), so I refreshed the phone. I never activated the phone with my att sim card, so if I bring it in like that they will probably fix the phone and then activate the contract, so I'll be screwed...

am I missing something here?

Thanks

They won't/ can't. I'm pretty sure of it. You'll end up getting a new phone and since it was never activated, they can't sign you up with AT&T without your consent.. I think.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aiyo For This Useful Post:

screamforme02 (2008-04-22)

Thanks

Aiyo, nice help. ur the man. i wish i knew stuff like like that.llol

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    They won't/ can't. I'm pretty sure of it. You'll end up getting a new phone and since it was never activated, they can't sign you up with AT&T without your consent.. I think.
    The problem is, I'm sure they will refuse to fix the phone if it isn't activated already... I guess my cheapest option is to activate the phone with the cheapest gophone plan available and bring it back.

Anybody knows if a random ATT sim card would work? I could borrow one from a friend and use it to get the phone replaced.

Thanks

yeh but if they replace the phone they will most likly not give ur sim back seeing nothing really gets saved to it. restore the phone to factory and bring it back with att sim they cant say anything unless youv had the phone to long or wht ever there deal is with ipods and wht not. u should have no probs if the phone is stock, just be like its broken. worst case do the low end gophone

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    yeh but if they replace the phone they will most likly not give ur sim back seeing nothing really gets saved to it. restore the phone to factory and bring it back with att sim they cant say anything unless youv had the phone to long or wht ever there deal is with ipods and wht not. u should have no probs if the phone is stock, just be like its broken. worst case do the low end gophone
    The problem here is that they are going to see the screen that says "the sim is not activated" or something like that. I guess I will have to go for the gophone.

Another solution could be to fry the phone and and just bring the non active sim with me... and pray for the best. It seems like the 30 dollars or so option is still the safest way.

Another option could be trying to call them and get a return box from apple using somebody else's phone number (already activated as an iphone).

I think I'll try that first...

another question... is it still possible to activate an iphone as gophone?