Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Major problems with my iphone. Seek expert advice.

Default Major problems with my iphone. Seek expert advice.
    Ok well from the title you should have guessed it, I am having some big problems with my iphone, and I thought one of the best places I can come to seek advice would be here.

Lets first establish some background info on my iphone. I bought it off ebay at christmas already unlocked with the 1.0.2 firmware. The first 2months having it everything seemed to work perfectly, I had about 1gb of songs on with no problems.

Some time around March the problems started. Every now and then (when using safari, ipod, apps, etc..) my phone would just freeze and give everything on the screen at the time what i would describe as a 'green tint'. This would cause me to have to reboot my iphone (home and power button), sometimes several times before it would work again. That problem at the time was not frequent (only once a week or something).

Now I am getting this problem at least once a day, but now I can be simply navigating around, or unlocking ('slide to unlock') and it will happen. It is starting to get very annoying.

Next major issue is that from yesterday it looks like my phone just doesnt want to take any more songs. I have an 8GB, with approx. 5.2GB filled so far. Yesterday went to put some songs on and as it was syncing it just froze (green tint thing) and went to the 'connect to itunes' screen. The iphone just goes back to normal with a reboot, but every time the same thing happens when I try to put songs on.

I'm quite technically minded, however I am by no degree an expert with the iphone and dont want to try anything to solve this without some help. My thoughts were pointing at:
    - Something to do with the outdated firmware,
    - Trends between frequency of crashing and amount of storage left on my iphone

Two things I wanted to try was:
    - Updating to the latest firmware (bricking), then unlocking my iphone again.
    OR
    - Formatting all the songs from my iphone to see if the crashing wasnt as frequent.

If anyone could let me know their thoughts on this, and if you dont have any thoughts of your own at least help me by linking me (or giving me) guides on doing the above two things.

Thanks,
    Dan.

UPDATE: Please check post #9 after you have read this for the first time.
    Last edited by wallace1231; 2008-07-17 at 12:41 AM.

Hi there

I'm no expert but just thought I would input that I have not heard of anything similar after reading many many different iphone forums.

My gut instinct based on this "green tint" that you are talking about is that it is some kind of hardware-related problem.

Have you tried restoring the phone, then don't put any music on it at all and see whether the problem persists, if it does then I think the hardware is definately to blame

are ur applications relocated with bosstool ? maybe its a "speed" issue..
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

Ok thanks for the replies so far.

addybgrilla I have not tried resotring it as I am aware that it will brick my iphone? If i could restore and somehow have this not happen, or have a way to solve it i would happily try.

stocis I will be honest i dont know what bosstool is.

As for the diagnostic of hardware, will that mean that my iphone is unfixable?

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

you can virginize the 1.0.2 unlock then throw it into DFU restore mode and restore to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 and then you can unlock it with your app of choice. i would unlock it with the pwnage tool. it works like a charm for my buddys phone
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

refer to i.unlock.no's website on revirginizing

restore you phone the the newest firmware (1.1.4) it's really not that difficult to jailbreak it. You can find an easy guide on this site. After you restore and jailbreak see if it's still giving you the green tint. Don't be afraid of your phone. Almost anything can be undid... Don't be afriad of your phone, living with firmware 1.0.2 and a crippled iPhone for fear of restoring and having it "jailed" or "bricked" sucks. So just try it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

hopefully you get your problems solved with the upgrade to 1.1.3 since it rewrites all your files. bricked phones have been unbricked from the upgrade so yours should be good after this unless its hardware related (hopefully not)
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Not looked a this topic for a while. My iPhone is still sitting useless on my desk with the same problems. Since my original post I have restored and upgraded to 1.1.4, but I still get the same problem

I really need to know something. If it is a hardware problem, does this mean that my iPhone cannot be repaired? Are there any company's that offer iphone hardware repair this in depth?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah. Apple corporation.
    Just bring it to the apple store.
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

Quote Originally Posted by Atokadd View Post
    Yeah. Apple corporation.
    Just bring it to the apple store.
    I thought apple dont repair unlocked iphones? If you're saying "put the original sim back in" then as I said, I bought it second hand from America (I live in the UK), with no reciepts, no sim cards, only the box. Will this qualify for repair and if so how can I get it done?
    Last edited by wallace1231; 2008-07-17 at 05:05 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Atokadd's Avatar
    Thanks

They dont repair Unlocked iPhones.
    Restore to 1.1.4 using iTunes, it will wipe your unlock, jailbreak, ect.
    All your information will be lost. Except for the info in your computer, but you dont want to put it back in once youve restored, because that defeats the purpose.

Restore to 1.1.4, bring it in for them to fix, ( if they ask where your sim is, WHICH THEY WONT, tell them you already took it out :P), once its fixed, bring it home, Unlock, and jailbreak again, using your favorite tool ( Not Ziphone, use something like iLiberty ), use the backup files on your iTunes to restore your data and files, ( phonebook, perferences, ect. ) And your iPhone should be all good.

Keep in mind, that if you dont have apple care, the repair will most likely cost you some monies.
    HAVE I HELPED YOU? Thank me!

Thanks for clearing alot of that up, I appreciate it.

But one thing hasn't been answered

I'm guessing to be able to send my iphone to apple for repair, I will first perhaps have to provide something to prove I bought the phone in the UK and or something (such as a serial-number) to show ID of the device.

I say this as on the american Apple website, in an FAQ, it claims "service for eligible repairs is only available in the country where your iPhone was purchased."