Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NO WIFI, NO PHONE. error with bbupdate

Default NO WIFI, NO PHONE. error with bbupdate
    as this is a fairly not reated problem i thought it would be ok to start a new thread. the same is posted in a downgrading guide. sorry for double posting.

i tried following this guide (http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10461) several times now and i always get the same error in step 9 of the second phase: (which is bbupdate -v)
    failed to initialize comm layer: (is it open by another app?)

i get the same error when trying to use the virginizing tool ( i did this to see if i could get the baseband to work)

i should mention i have no wifi (greyed out in the preferences) or celular signal. i get the iphone repair needed message.

just so you know more about the previos steps i took:
    .had a working 1.0.2 unlocked with anysim 1.02
    .virginized with the elite dev team's tool correctly
    .upgraded to 1.1.1 and jailbreaked with the tiff exploit method
    .after the jailbreak, the phone was very slow so i restored to 1.1.1
    .wifi was dead, downgraded to 1.0.2

now i'm trying to use this guide to get the wifi working again, and hopefully then upgrade to 1.1.1 and jailbreak with the dev team's method.

i really need help here.

thanks
    Last edited by djn48; 2007-10-27 at 12:13 AM.

how are you able to run bbupdate without wifi working? You probably have it (unless you are using terminal.app).

try this
    launchctl list
    does it shows comm center in the o/p?
    if it does, you should unload it using
    launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist

i have this problem too.. but stop creating new threads for this.. there are already a few like this. it is very difficult to keep track of what works and what doesn't

right now, my iphone got pretty much the similar symptoms ..

no wifi
    no bt
    bad imei

i always restore the phone to 1.1.1, then downgrade it to 1.0.2 activate via ind. - xfer'd/installed apps via ibrickr - including all the bbupdater/ieraser stuff .. i was able to erase/downgrade/verify the downgraded bb, but still getting the same symptoms..

i also tried run unlock.app / anysim at the end of the process to see if that would correct the bad imei issue ... no luck ..

any sugg?...

rinse & repeat - when it does not resolve the issue .. prob several times now(5+)...

i contacted ipsf to see if their soln would unbrick my phone...

i'll keep you guys posted if any positive result comes out...
    Last edited by stylth; 2007-10-27 at 05:13 PM. Reason: adding

edit: not same problem.
    Last edited by shiny-blanket; 2007-10-27 at 05:29 PM.

if you're just refering to the bbupdater issue, make sure you issue

launchctl remove com.apple.CommCenter

line before you do the

bbupdater -v , ieraser, & rest-of-the-flash-commands

let me know if this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by stylth View Post
    if you're just refering to the bbupdater issue, make sure you issue

launchctl remove com.apple.CommCenter

line before you do the

bbupdater -v , ieraser, & rest-of-the-flash-commands

let me know if this helps...
    tried that lots of time
    my baseband is actually completely empty now
    even after doing a restore... run bbupdater -v
    it doesn't give a baseband version...

Thanks
    I am in exactly the same position as you. I have posted a few times here, but there seems to be no definitive solution. I have no baseband either and so no wifi, phone, sound etc.

I was able to use my windows in Parallels to install bsd subsystem and terminal via iBrickr. I even reinstalled anySIM and ran it which seemed to go ok, but after restart there was still no radio

Every time I try run bbupdater I get the same error.

Error: Failed to initialize comm layer: (is it open by another app)

previous to that I unload -w it and it seems to unload, yet always same error

I did take a backup of seczone, before these problems, but not sure exactly what it does or whether I should try to restore it.

-----------
    Update 29th Oct 2007.

Complete Success.

I have now successfully fixed my Iphone, upgraded it to 1.1.1 with full functionality.

See my post:

No WiFi and SIM not recognised after 4 steps from 1.02 to 1.1.1

for specific details.

Dazzz
    Last edited by Dazzzz; 2007-10-29 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peeInMyPantz View Post
    tried that lots of time
    my baseband is actually completely empty now
    even after doing a restore... run bbupdater -v
    it doesn't give a baseband version...
    If it says baseband unresponsive to pinging or anything along those lines just rewrite the baseband to it.

Hi!

I have a big problem too. I folowed the virginize method in two phones pre-unlocked in ver 102 and then ungrade them to 1.1.1 and unlocked with no failures.

Now I recived two 111 and I downgrade them and then I did the procces explained in the virginize guide to upgrade and unlock 1.1.1.

The result is it didn't work with anysim and when I tried to downgrade again it stopped in "ierase" step.

Now I gave one wich says "Activate" and of course, "Repair neede" and the other one just shows up the itunes and cable's icon.

I have No Wifi in both of them and when I try to figure out the firmware version it shows nothing.

I tried to "restore" them with both 1.1.1 and 1.0.2 files and always get an error.

Your attention is appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Thanks

Default Me too
    I just want to put my name on the list too. My baseband is totally un-responsive to any type of flashing. I have a backup of my original seczone but that hasn't helped. I tried to use minicom to communicate with the radio, but that fails because /dev/modem doesn't exist. I'm guessing this is because the baseband is um... gone. A little backstory... I used the console based iUnlock method. ( I have 10+ years *nix administration experience ) I rocked 1.02 until the elite re-virgin-ator came out. I backed up my seczone and purified my baby. The upgrade and unlock with 1.1.1 went flawlessly. ( I love the double-click shortcut to the phone favorites ) A couple days ago I got the dreaded Repair Needed message.

Of course I can still use it as a portable photo gallery ( that's the main reason I bought it, I'm an amateur photographer ) but going back to my old phone has been beyond painful.

If there is an effort to fix this problem I want to be involved.

FIXED IT !!!!!

i was able to fix the problem i posted above. here's what i did:

. followed this guide skipping steps 9 and 12 in the second phase. http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10461

i know it sound silly but for some reason if i run bbupdater before ieraser the whole thing wouldn't work and the bbupdater error would appear.
    i got the idea form here: http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13270 7th post

i hope that helps. thanks for all the help !!

Thanks

Grats djn48, but that is different from the problem the rest of us are having.

Hi Guys!

I finally realized how to fix my problem (just restoring the phones...)

What I did:

Wait till the battery was almost empty and shows in the screen the red battery asking you to connect to the power and then I connected it to the main power supply till the apple logo appear.

Then I used the 10/15 sec trick for restoring the 1.0.2 firmware I downloaded (remember I had both phones in the state they didn't recognize what firmware they have) and It went succesfully done.

Now I have both phones with the "Activate phone" screen and 1.0.2 firmware.

What shoyld I do now?

Thanks!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread!
    Only slightly mobile phone obsessed.
    Apple iPhone 8GB (1.1.4)/Panasonic VIERA P905i (Red, JP), Sharp 903SH (Red, Euro)...and many, many more before lol
    http://moov4.net/

| RS Feedback | eBay Feedback | HoFo Feedback |

Im having exact problem as above, no WiFi, no Bluetooth, when i run bbupdater -v i get the process is used by another app.. so i can't ierase nor bbupdate old baseband, i hope someone post a solution soon...