Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Connecting to GPRS (not EDGE) Internet When Leaving Hotspots

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Connecting to GPRS (not EDGE) Internet When Leaving Hotspots
    Hi guys,

I'm having a problem with my iPhone connecting to GRPS internet (not EDGE) when I leave hotspots. I'm using 1.1.4 unlocked & jailbroken w/ ZiPhone. I'm on Fresh in the UK (which is by the carphone warehouse, but uses the T-Mobile network). It is Pay As You Go (PAYG).

For example, I use the chat app on iPhone. I sometimes turn it on and leave it on so people can contact me when I go to bed. If my network goes down in the night, my chat app switches onto GPRS internet and keeps the connection alive. It sucks all my credit, then I have auto top-up, then sucks that and repeat! Not good.

Is there anyway to ensure that as soon as I leave a wifi hotspot my internet on the iPhone dies and disconnects? And does not switch. It is NOT EDGE, it is GPRS it is connecting to (a blue box without the E), see here.

I already have the services.app and have EDGE disabled but it still connects to the GPRS one I'd rather have an automatic disconnection when a hotspot goes out of reach than me going on apps and closing them to ensure.

Thanks.
    -Lisa

Thanks

hmm GPRS..i dont think there is a way to turn it off. Maybe if you go through installer and find the advanced preferences(settings) thing, it might have something.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you turn off edge it shouldn't be connecting to anything. Make sure services really is turning off edge because I had problems with services not keeping edge off and haveread the same for many others. I use bossprefs now and it works fine

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    hmm GPRS..i dont think there is a way to turn it off. Maybe if you go through installer and find the advanced preferences(settings) thing, it might have something.
    Thanks for replying, yes it is odd and... well... annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    If you turn off edge it shouldn't be connecting to anything. Make sure services really is turning off edge because I had problems with services not keeping edge off and haveread the same for many others. I use bossprefs now and it works fine
    Yes you're right. I just went back and guess what?! It's set back to on. I don't have a username or password set for EDGE anyway and it never connects to EDGE when it connects anyway, it is a blue box without the 'E' and when I searched that, it said it was GPRS internet and not Edge.

Getting bossprefs now to see if that disables.... be back after test.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Thanks for replying, yes it is odd and... well... annoying!

Yes you're right. I just went back and guess what?! It's set back to on. I don't have a username or password set for EDGE anyway and it never connects to EDGE when it connects anyway, it is a blue box without the 'E' and when I searched that, it said it was GPRS internet and not Edge.

Getting bossprefs now to see if that disables.... be back after test.
    Got Bosprefs and it does the exact same thing. Disables edge, I go back and its set to 'on' again
    Last edited by Lisa; 2008-04-22 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

call your network operator and unsubscribe gprs. thanks