Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone zoom

Default New iPhone zoom
    I found a new use for my iPhone... no need to spend 100$ on camera adapter:

(picture is real, taken with my iphone through the telescope)
    Last edited by Arad; 2008-04-18 at 11:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arad For This Useful Post:

jtamayo (2008-05-30)

Thanks is an acknowledgment

Well the picture was taken with iPhone, got some great shots of the moon thanks to its small lens that fits in the scope's eyepiece.

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

sweet
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Gotta call BS based solely on the lack of noise in the picture. The iPhone ALWAYS produces noise, the sensor is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Gotta call BS based solely on the lack of noise in the picture. The iPhone ALWAYS produces noise, the sensor is crap.
    No it doesn't, there's noise on pictures with low lightning, which is not the case here.

While the moon is quite bright when looking on it without a telescope, the telescope's "pupil" is 90mm while our pupil is only 1.5mm. The formula for the light collected is (size1*size1)/(size2*size2) which means the telescope collects 3600 times more light than our eye.

When I took the moon picture it was so bright the iPhone lowered it's exposure to the minimum, which is exactly like daylight picture- means no noise.

I got a lot of more pictures I took, here's another one:
    http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moon2xr0.jpg
    As you can see it say's "Shot with iPhone", and if you save it on your computer and do Right click-->Properties-->Summary-->Advanced you can see the watermark the iPhone places on the picture.
    Last edited by Arad; 2008-04-19 at 11:32 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

thats sweet! i want me a telescope. do you still have to put your eye to the ocular piece or can you just watch your iphone screen when viewing?

Quote Originally Posted by unlockme View Post
    thats sweet! i want me a telescope. do you still have to put your eye to the ocular piece or can you just watch your iphone screen when viewing?
    Just watch the screen, like in the picture.
    That's the best part- sometimes I got a lot of people in my house and with the iPhone everyone can look at the same time.
    Also saves me some backaches

The view is actually even better through the iPhone sometimes, because it can receive less light than your eyes so this way you get to see more details and shades.

that's cool! What brand/model of telescope are you using? did you have mod or alter the telescope in any way? Thanks!

Incredible, makes me want a telescope.

Wow thats amazing.

Sure wish the iphone had a built in zoom. Damn you apple.

Oh and that prison cell (by the looks of it anyway) from which your taken the photos must be real far out from the city - you have no light pollution at all! Good stuff.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

Quote Originally Posted by jtamayo View Post
    that's cool! What brand/model of telescope are you using? did you have mod or alter the telescope in any way? Thanks!

the telescope is Meade ETX-90.
    I didn't really mod it, all I did is put some plasticine on the telescope so the iPhone will be in the right angel- that's the brown thing in the picture.

new picture from last night... this time it's only x48 magnification:

Last edited by Arad; 2008-04-21 at 01:10 PM. Reason: rehost image

It's definitely been taken with an iPhone. Since practically my entire group owns iPhones, I can pretty much detect iPhone photos from other phones. There's heavy noise reduction in iPhone photos and everything has a slow glow emanating from it.

Nice shot by the way!

Managed to catch Saturn... a bit blurry and small, but you can still see the rings:
    (Shot with iPhone)

I love it

~ The wonderful world of iPod ♫