Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lovely Brick :(

Default Lovely Brick :(
    Hello guys, I have a nice and lovely brick which is a former iPhone 1.1.3 OTB.

It used to be working as it should be, but when trying to update from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 it is not working anymore.

When I try to turn it on, appears the "apple" logo as usual, but then a circle of dashes spins, and spins and spins and it restarts itself and then the neverending dashes spinning.

I have already plugged it to the PC turned it off, then turning it on, and then finally the wire pointing to iTunes logo appears.

It seems to be pretty nice, but the thing is no matter how many times I try to put it into DFU THE COMPUTER DOES NOT DETECT MY IPHONE, it seems like the iPhone wasn't sending back some aknoledge messages or whatever the thing is that the iPhone is not detected neither in a PC nor Mac.

Does anybody know how can I make it visible to the computer, in order to restore its firmware?.

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by supermicho; 2008-04-10 at 09:42 PM.

Well..my dear friend...I think you're completly doomed.....

Throw your iphone into your wastebasket and buy another one (tell me where you drop it)

Some expert will help you shortly micho

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you're not putting it in DFU mode correctly then. when you see the wire showing you to connec to iTunes, it is a recovery mode. when your computer see your phone like that, it'll tell you that it's detected a phone in recovery mode and to restore. you should then hold ctrl (pc) or the option key (mac) and click restore and choose the iphone firmware file (download the 1.1.4 here from this forum)

you can always put the phone into DFU mode. make sure your phone is connected to the computer, itunes open. hold and press both the home and wake/sleep button for 10 seconds (count using a clock) then let go of the wake/sleep button but continue to hold the home button until itunes sees your phone. your phone screen will remain black. again ctrl/option restore

your phone is not a brick...btw, what exactly did you do before it got stuck at the apple screen? you updated or restore to 1.1.4? and what else?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

supermicho (2008-04-11)

Thank you, jtesnani, actually I was not putting the iPhone into DFU correctly and according to your directions now I could.

The iPhone is thorougly black no matter if I press power of home button it is still black. I could say that I am happy, but the sad thing is that I am not, why? because it is still not accessible for any computer, even though is put into DFU mode, no matter if the computer is a PC o MAC is is not reachable.

Any ideas???.

(btw, thank you for saying it is not a brick )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I still don't think you're putting it into DFU mode correctly. Boot the phone... when you see the spinning wheel of death hold power and home until the screen goes black. Immediately let go of the power button and continue to hold the home button... THEN plug your phone into the computer with iTunes already open and within 10 seconds it should pop up as restore mode. THEN you can let go of the home button.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

supermicho (2008-04-11)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

if itunes is not detecting it, i don't think it's in DFU mode.
    another thing to try is to restart your computer. if that doesn't work, also try uninstalling and reinstalling itunes
    Last edited by jtesnani; 2008-04-10 at 10:52 PM. Reason: deleted incorrect info

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    if itunes is not detecting it, i don't think it's in DFU mode. you can always use ZiPhone to kick it out of DFU, if you think it is

another thing to try is to restart your computer. if that doesn't work, also try uninstalling and reinstalling itunes
    Incorrect. Ziphone will only kick it out of NORMAL restore mode. (Arrow + iTunes logo) If is is in DFU then iTunes restore is the ONLY way to get it back.

You can use ziphone to put it INTO DFU but not out of...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

hum. i've personally never used it but i've always read about it. thanks for correcting and sorry for the misinfo. i'll edit it so people don't read it, stop there and try to do it

Thank you guys (all of you). I have followed your directions Poseidon79, and as a matter of fact now is in "normal" restore mode as you said

But it still unreachable.

jtesnani. I have restarted the computer, I have checked the USB cable, and they are not the problem because they do work fine, I tried with other iPhones and some other devices and they are ok.

guys, do you think that maybe the iPhone socket jack (where is connected to computer) might be damaged due to this upgrade, that it has a short circuit?

(is nice to count on people like you)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you're still not in DFU mode. do exactly as poseiden has said. make sure you let go of the power button as soon as the screen turns black. don't let the phone turn back on

How should it looks like when in DFU? Because I followed Poseidon79's steps and now is thoroughly black the screen, if a tap power or home buttons (separately) it remains in black, what I suppose its in DFU already

Thx

P.S. Does anyone would like to buy parts from a bricked iPhone, they are really cheap.

(I am start getting nervous).
    Last edited by supermicho; 2008-04-10 at 11:35 PM.

I'm in the same situation.

My iPhone is stuck in restore mode and my PC or MAC will not see it at all, it's like i never plugged the phone.

I'll keep trying, i refuse to give up. I'm looking for a reset button!!

Thanks!

Thanks

Solution:
    Take it to you nearest apple retailer!

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

just download ziphone and use that to put your phone into dfu mode correctly

sigh..

same problem.. figuring it out for hours - still failed

My phone just stopped working. I can't even boot it. I tired using Ziphone, but it won't even power on to allow the computer to pick it up.

I managed to get power to it once but it flashed a few times then just stayed white.

I have only had the phone for three months and have been anal with it. It has always been in a silicon cover and had a screen protector on it. It has not been dropped or gotten wet.

Please help!!!! I am in Australia so I cannot take it to Apple as the phone has not been officially released here yet.

Does anyone know how I can fix it or know anywhere in Sydney I can get it fixed?

Use ZiPhone works perfect everytime.

I tried using Ziphone but it won't detect the phone as the computer is not picking it up as it is getting no power to it.

I hace another briked iphone.

Here is my case:
    1. the iphone doesn't turn on without pluging it to the cable with my mac.
    No matther what convination of keys I use.

2. If I plug into the Mac and press the power+home for 10 secs it's turn on on recovery mode. itunes detect it. but...

3. If I try to restore from itunes, and once itunes send something to the iPhone, it restart, I see some white letters (like an ssh output) and the iPhone die (turn off)

I tunes says:
    Unknown error (1611)

I tried:
    itunes restore
    itunes restore + pression option button
    ziphone - Once ziphone derect it, and try to send something to the phone it do the same.
    pwnage project 1.2 with 1.2 and 1.1.4 firmware.

Looks like this is completelly bricked.
    Any idea?

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

wow i didnt even think u could still brick iphones any more. i had a similar problem. but like posiden said dfu mode man and if it just dosnt turn on return it to the store if they get it to work snatch it back real quick and head home
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!