Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Gets Hot And Eats Battery After Carrier Signal Loss

Default iPhone Gets Hot And Eats Battery After Carrier Signal Loss
    Okay, this happens specifically after losing the carrier signal.
    BTW, I'm using the T-Mobile network after unlocking with Pwnage and downgrading the bootloader to 3.9. I also have the usual hacked preferences.plist and proxy.pac files to use the T-zones feature for unlimited internet.

What happens is the iPhone loses the signal, say, in an elevator or subway (BART) tunnel. If it happens only for a short period, the phone normally regains the signal and hops back on the network. Sometimes, however, usually after prolonged time off the network due to loss of signal, the iPhone never regains access to the cellular network and begins to run hot and drain the battery.

Turning the phone off during such times and then back on when I know I can get a signal alleviates the issue, but that is really annoying. Most phones can automagically find the signal again.
    Sometimes, turning off the Edge network, and then back on using the Services app gets the iPhone back on the cell network... which is odd, but I guess the two are connected, after all, but again, annoying. When the Edge thing doesn't work, I normally have to do a warm reboot (holding down the sleep and desktop buttons).

I'm guessing what happens is the software which handles all this gets caught in a loop, and as the Edge network feature is tied to the cellular service, tweaking it (slapping it in the face?) sometimes brings it around.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on what I can do to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance.

have you installed any apps since this started happening could be something draining the battery garf did that when it first came out also got hot to.
    if this post help click the thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to morphiusrt For This Useful Post:

~Antonio (2008-04-09)

-sent a thanks your way, 'cause that's a great question, and I completely overlooked it.

Currently, I have:
    Installer (of course)
    MobileStudio (Finder, Preview, RSS, TextEdit)
    Services
    SwirlyMMS
    MobileChat
    PocketMoney (which I probably won't use and will rid myself of)
    SummerBoard (which I find almost useless and may rid myself of)
    Wallpaper
    NES

I figure fewer applications will likely result in fewer bugs to deal with altogether, so I mentioned getting rid of the two.

I may try resetting my bootloader to 4.6, as well. The reason I downgraded was that after T-mobile activated T-zones (and I mean immediately after) I was receiving no cellular or Edge signal at all, no matter what I did. That was after unlocking via iNdependence. Under 4.6 with Pwnage, reception was intermittent. 3.9 did the trick. But, this was all before editing the the preferences and proxy files, so maybe 4.6 will work as it should, and newer revisions in the communications tech sector tend to be more efficient and better behaving. Worse case scenario, I reflash to 3.9.

All cell phones consume battery power at a higher rate when signal is lost. This is due to the cell phone constantly seraching for signal. I have had that issue with every phone i have ever had, iphone included. Getting hot and not reconnecting even in known good areas....thats something else entirely.

mobilechat has the option to let run in the background make sure that is off also, other than that i don't really know because i'm at&t so i no nothing about unlocking
    if this post help click the thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

this is actually not uncommon. it happens to my blackberry once in awhile when it loses signal and for some reason is never able to regain one and drains my battery within hours and turns hot. the only way to solve this is for me to turn it off and back on. however, while it's normal, if yours happens A LOT, then perhaps try restoring?

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    this is actually not uncommon. it happens to my blackberry once in awhile when it loses signal and for some reason is never able to regain one and drains my battery within hours and turns hot. the only way to solve this is for me to turn it off and back on. however, while it's normal, if yours happens A LOT, then perhaps try restoring?
    Yeah, I'm doing that right now. I didn't have much installed, so it's defintiely worth a try.

i would just loose all ur apps to start off and see if that does anything and then just do a 1.1.4 restore and re unlocked. Seems like the best idea
    If I helped you, help me and hit thanks

Well, this has NOT been a good day.
    I went ahead and began the process of restoring... much, MUCH earlier today, and now, the best I can get is Wifi and Bluetooth.
    No cell service at all, and iNdependence shows no baseband revision... which is odd, 'cause wifi and bluetooth are controlled via baseband.
    SO, I am trying different ways, between iNdependence and Pwnage to get it working.
    Speak of Pwnage, iTunes can't even restore the phone's firmware without a custom restore package. With the stock 1.1.4 package, the firmware update never ends.
    Strange stuff.

Luckily, I bought my iPhone not long ago... I can set the bootloader back to 4.6 and probably get it exchanged. I'm beginning to think this is a hardware defect, anyhow.

I want to append this with one final word which may be useful to someone else.

First, it is not normal for the phone to get as hot as it did, nor was it normal for it to lose its signal to never regain it, going into that overheating loop which also happened to kill the battery life.

Yeah, I went to the Apple Store and returned my virginized iPhone, which they replaced without question. My new phone, now unlocked and activated, with the same T-Mobile SIM, T-zones and all, works flawlessly with none of the issues of the previous phone. A bit of googling revealed that these things have issues with overheating, losing cell signal and wifi capability, as well as not recognizing even a stock activated ATT SIM much more often then one would think. Much of the time, we just assume that it's corruption which occurs during a baseband flash, or just accept it as the risk and result of our hacking, but I think we need to look more openly at the possibility that our iPhone might have bad hardware, despite how much geek love we may have for the device. After all, it's just manufactured hardware, and like much hardware produced recently (within the past three years or so), there seem to be a good many quality issues.

-Coincidentally, I was able to successfully flash my old phone's baseband, even after it stopped working.

If you're having issues similar to the ones I had here, and you're still in your first 14 day period, restore your iPhone to stock everything and take it back. Don't think about it. Don't waste countless hours trying to fix it. Take it back. First 14 days and you're pretty much golden. The thing has a year-long warranty. The further from the first 14 days you are, the harder it will be to return your phone. However, if it's well cared for, you can always make something up, like getting out of your AT&T contract, whatever.
    It doesn't matter if you've unlocked it, a hardware issue deserves a replacement. So long as you've used something like iNdependence or Pwnage Tool which unlocks and activates without doing something half-assed or irreversible, your iPhone should work just as well as any on an AT&T contract proper.