Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Space available problem?

Default Space available problem?
    Hey everyone,

So far, I have contacted may users and no one seems to know the answer to this: I had to re-unlock/re-jailbreak my iphone a couple of times (like a lot of us I think). Each time I do it, the available space (the 300mg) on the phone decreases, and all my apps are no longer there. But I am sure there's traces of them after each restore because it says now that 210mg are USED after the last restore/unlock/jailbreak and I havent installed any apps yet. So that leaves just 90mg available, without any apps installed. Everyone seems to be saying that all apps are supposed to be erased and that the space should be freed.

Any one know exactly what I am doing wrong? (other than moving it to the media space with BossTool). Thanks so much for your help...

Windows XP, firmware 1.1.4, Ziphone 2.6c

easy way out: re-install 1.1.4 and set up as a new iPhone.
    hard way out: search for the naughty files and remove them using SSH.
    I've done both.
    I've removed Music that iTunes thought was other. I've removed my 'moved' apps that are no longer recognized as anything.

GOOD LUCK!
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

Thanks for the reply I did your easy way out and set up as a new phone. Still having 210mg of used space of "other". I'm starting to wonder how much space is needed for the system files, "NORMALLY". Has anyone that just did a restore recently noticed how much space is taken for system files, after a fresh restore?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dleemtl View Post
    Thanks for the reply I did your easy way out and set up as a new phone. Still having 210mg of used space of "other". I'm starting to wonder how much space is needed for the system files, "NORMALLY". Has anyone that just did a restore recently noticed how much space is taken for system files, after a fresh restore?

Thanks again.
    you got 'other'ed when you restored your old preferences. I don't think you created a 'new' iPhone. when it's a new iPhone, it has next to nothing called 'other'

did you have around 210 of music or 210 of moved apps?

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

No I did not restore to "previous" phone. iTunes gave me the choice and I specifically picked "set as new phone" and even gave it a new name. And no, I have no media on the phone. arghhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by dleemtl View Post
    No I did not restore to "previous" phone. iTunes gave me the choice and I specifically picked "set as new phone" and even gave it a new name. And no, I have no media on the phone. arghhhhhhhh
    ARGHHHH!

try ziphone 3.0

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The system partition is 300MB. After a normal ziphone jailbreak you typically have about 260MB used (40MB free). After running BossTool to move over fonts it increases the free space to about 128MB (172MB Used). The method of setting up as NEW in iTunes is correct. So the OS takes up over half of the system partition and this will show up as Other in iTunes.

FYI - For me iTunes is showing over a Gig worth of "other" due to SSHing files onto the phone and using HidePod and i'm sure other misc stuff so don't let it bother you... it's all usable space.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2008-04-09 at 03:04 AM.

Poseidon79,

So after a normal ziphone unlock/jailbreak you would normally have 260mb of used (40mb free). Is that 260mb of "other"?

So why am I getting 190mb as "other" before any apps install? And why is that so many ppl seem to be saying that when it's a new iPhone, it has next to nothing called 'other'.

Jakecigar, I got the same thing (190mb used as other) with ziphone 3.0.

Anyone have a solution for this. Thanks so much,