Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Help With Going into Apple for Repair

Default Need Help With Going into Apple for Repair
    Hi okay i have a 16GB iphone that i bought off of craigslist already jailbroken & unlocked(what methods were used i have no clue) all i know is i popped in my TMO sim and it was running version 1.1.3 with no problems. Then the earpiece on the phone itself stopped working, so the only way i could hear someone was if i put the speakerphone on or used a headset. I have read tons of forums about trying to fix that problem I've tried the Q-tip, tried pulling the headphone jack in and out hundereds of times and a few other tips i read on the net but nothing worked for me. Now my question is this : I want to take the phone to apple for repair/replacement what is the best way to do this because i know that jailbreaking VOIDS the warranty.
    Here is what I've done so far Called AT&T and activated the original sim over the phone telling them that i want prepay service, they asked me for an IMEI # and i gave then the one off of my old unlocked nokia N80 i figured i didn't want to mention or involve the iphone, so they gave me a # and told me that i could add money to the account via the net (So far i did not add any money as of yet waiting to see if this method will work)
    I then did the firmware upgrade via ITunes (1.1.4) and after that got the Emergancy screen (Just like out of the box) Then i put in the AT&T sim and proceeded to itunes i selected the option of "Already have an exisiting account" or something like that and got a "cannot use this account for iphone " or something close to that message.BTW: The number AT&T had given me did show up on itunes. I then used ZIphone V3.1 to jailbreak & activate after completed the phone went to home srceen all data (pics,songs,contacts, etc.) was gone which i was expecting but installer was there. Listen i just want to be able to Walk into Apple without them being able to see that the phone was tampered with in order for them to "fix" the problem. And thats why i activated the AT&T sim to have that in the phone so apple would see AT&T service on it, if that wrong please let me know ,but if thats the way to go about it then someone please help me on how to do it.
    I'm still a newbie so sorry if i've posted or asked some dumb questions but i have read as much as i could in the last 3 days.
    Thank you in advance for any and all reply's ,
    Danny
    P.S. I read this about the baseband tweaking http://limitededitioniphone.com/how-...-virgin-state/ and was wondering if it would work for my situation.

NOTE:here is what i have Macbook Pro OS X (& Windows xp bootcamp)
    Iphone itself V. 1.1.4 Modem Firmware 04.04.05_G
    I dunno what week its from dont know how to tell

Anyone got any clue?
    Last edited by tmo1113; 2008-04-07 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

do a option + restore and rejailbreak again. when you clicked update, it didn't wipe your phone clean. you should ALWAYS option + restore, not update

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

tmo1113 (2008-04-07)

Okay i will try that, but then what do i do to have to prepaid AT&T card working so i can take phone into apple? And not show any signs of tampering.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

do the same thing you've done, ziphone jailbreak and activate and put in the sim. the phone should operate. no need to connect it to itunes

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

tmo1113 (2008-04-07)

so nothing to reset/restore with baseband or anything like that?
    Thx for your replys

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

no, as you've never unlocked it and do NOT unlock it, especially with ZiPhone

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

tmo1113 (2008-04-07)

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    no, as you've never unlocked it and do NOT unlock it, especially with ZiPhone
    I'm a little confused as i thought it was unlocked when i was using my tmo sim??? And silly question why not to use Ziphone to unlock and what should i use to unlock?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

my mistake. i started thinking that you were always AT&T. how old is your iphone/do you know if it came with a 3.9 or 4.6 BL? if it's 4.6, do you know if it's ever been downgraded?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

tmo1113 (2008-04-07)

lol first off i dunno where or what the BL is, Second i don't think was ever a downgrade

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ugh you knwo waht? i'm asking you stupid question. you have a 16gb, it has to be a 4.6BL. if you used Ziphone to unlock, it absolutely downgraded your bootloader. if that's the case, use Pwnage to upgrade your baseband, or do a search for BootNeuter. i believe you can now download this via installer and upgrade your baseband.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

tmo1113 (2008-04-07)

Okay once i upgrade the baseband will it A) make it undectable to apple that i "tweaked" it? and B) remove installer (beacause installer would be a dead give away that the phone was hacked)

This is a pretty good thread and will help people understand how to prep their phones for service should it be needed

I believe it will update your baseband but wont remove the loader app, i think that a restore will do that function for you. Am I correct?

Thanks!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodspatter For This Useful Post:

tmo1113 (2008-04-08)

Okay but when i restore its has the connect to itunes on the phone screen what then?
    BTW there really should be a sticky or something on how to prep for an apple visit with a hacked iphone!

In theory if you updated the baseband and then did a restore via Itunes you should have a stock phone again or at least to the point of Apple not being the wiser to your doings. I would just leave it as is and take it to them for service. The clerk at the store isn't the one that is going to be curious as to what you are doing with it. It will be the service technicians. They, i am sure, have a utility that will detect problems or the likes with the device.

I always thought that once you jail break a phone that you couldn't put it back to factory specs completely. I am still pretty new to this as well so maybe others can correct me and inform me better too.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodspatter For This Useful Post:

tmo1113 (2008-04-08)