Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about activation. Please help.

Default Question about activation. Please help.
    Hello I bought my 1.1.4 iphone about 1 month ago from ATT. I unlocked/jailbroke the iphone using ziphone 2.6 with the "do it all" button. So i have been using the phone basically like an ipod touch. Using it for movies and music and wireless, ect. Now I currently have sprint as my cell phone carrier on my Moto Crazr. My sprint contract just ended so I would like to now use my iphone as my cell phone now.

my question is how can i do this now??

do i have to restore it?

do i need to start an ATT contract on another phone and just move the sim card into the iphone?

what is the best way to do this??

THANK YOU!!!

If you hit the "Do it all" button on Ziphone, you are set and ready to go. All you basically need to do is insert a SIM card into the phone and you are done, you can either start a plan with AT&T or any other carrier you would like that uses SIM cards
    Last edited by Kylecchh; 2008-04-05 at 03:55 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kylecchh For This Useful Post:

stoutman11 (2008-04-08)

thanks for the reply

i would like to keep my sprint phone number though. So im guessing i need to sign up with att or Tmobile since are really the only two or so that use sim cards i think and transfer my phone number.

so if i sign up with ATT with another phone, how do i get the unlimited data plan that the iphone -att plan has??

can i activate a sim card?? lol i dunno if that is a stupid question.

anyone please?

please let me know! thanks!
    Last edited by stoutman11; 2008-04-05 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The cheapest thing to do is activate a T-Mobile account and use the 5.99 T-Zones for unlimited internet. The only thing you won't get is visual voicemail... but if you want to pay an extra $40+ per month just for that then go for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

stoutman11 (2008-04-08)

ok so basically.

1-go to tmobile.
    2-say i would like to activate a new phone w/plan(transfering my old phone number). please make it a free phone included in activation. and add the $6 free internet to my plan.
    3-pop out the sim card and throw it in my iphone.
    4-put the free dummy phone in the garbage of back of my junk closet.

correct???

bump.... is this the best way then? any other ways or options i should look at?
    what if i wanted to go with ATT? can they activate a sim card for me with a certain plan and i can throw it into my phone?
    Last edited by stoutman11; 2008-04-05 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

either way, but, its all your choice. I'd go T-Mobile. If I knew about this site before I activated my phone, I would have gone t-mobile.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kylecchh For This Useful Post:

stoutman11 (2008-04-08)

what if i wanted to go with ATT? can they activate a sim card for me with a certain plan and i can throw it into my phone?
    Any AT&T store should activate a sim card for you on no contract if you just tell them that you have your own phone already. you shouldn't even have to produce a phone in the store to show them. You can add unlimited messaging ($20) and use wifi for internet (as you're doing now). I don't know if the "normal" unlimited internet plan ($15) will work if you have it on your account and then put the sim in your iphone. the reason i'm making those two suggestions is b/c you may run into difficulty trying to get the iphone feature package added without an iphone IMEI on the account. also, in the "normal" features scenario, you wouldn't get locked into a contract. if you legitimately activate the iphone with AT&T, you will get into a 2yr "agreement."

(Sorry that got so lengthy...)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to captkoons For This Useful Post:

stoutman11 (2008-04-08)

thanks to all that responded!! i think im going to go to tmobile store and ask them to activate a sim card for me, pick a plan, add the t-zone to the plan, have no contract and add my company discount if possible. hope it all works out! Thanks again!

One more quick question please! If i dont have wifi in my house. say my connection goes down for a few days or my wireless router dies and i want to use the internet on my Iphone using tmobile how does that work?? I thought i phone uses edge or will it use t-mobile version of the internet?????

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

both tmobile and att connect to the internet via edge, so as suggested, if you don't want to pay a lot, get t zones and apply the t zones hack on your phone, or if you want the regular internet plan, then get the total internet plan for $19.99. for tzones, under edge, you want to put in wap.voicestream.com for apn and leave both username and password blank. for the total internet plan, put in internet2.voicestream.com and also username and poassword blank

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

stoutman11 (2008-04-11)

ok thanks jtesanani!! so get the tzones for like 6$ month and then in my iphone just enter what u put above=wap.voicestream.com for my iphone apn...... and i have unlimited internet/safari and youtube, ect????? its that simple???!!

oh and to make sure... i DONT have to have a contract to have a Tmobile plan Correct?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you'll have to double check with tmobile on being locked in a contract

you'll have to install the tzones hack if you sign up for that. check the t mobile section for more info on that

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

stoutman11 (2008-04-11)