Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Word processiong on iPad for non-geeks

Default Word processiong on iPad for non-geeks
    I am an attorney working all by myself and need to use my iPad for wordprocessing ( I'm beginning to think I made a mistake to buy it instead of a netbook !?).

I would VERY much appreciate it if you could tell me if I must necessarily download several apps in order to use my iPad to :

- open pdf docs attached to emails,
    - read them and store them on the iPad,
    - possibly modify them,
    - attach them to emails in order to send them back to clients?

All the apps seem to say they do everything, so I have lost alot of time trying to get them to do that, although they may not be really programmed to do so.

Here is what I have purchased and downloaded so far ( many may be redundant, but none seem to do the complete job of wordprrocessing !).
    Do I need a browser AND a file sharer AND something else ??

Atomic browser
    ICab browser
    Mercury browser
    Ifile
    File viewer USB
    dropbox
    DocAS
    docs to go
    Pocket cloud
    Good reader
    office HD 2
    PDF reader
    log me in

I have always stuck to 3-4 star apps, but can't afford to spend any more time trying to figure out which combination works best and is the simplest, particularly since I don't know whether the app doesn't work or I don't know how to work it !

Thank you in advance for your help. My business is struggling and I don't necessarily trust the services you pay for advice !

Puntareyes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What is not right with Office2 HD? While I have not done too much heavy lifting with it so far, I have used it a number of times to correct then re-save Excel and Word files as well as play back PowerPoint files in the field.

Is it that you are receiving PDF files and need to edit them? If so, I am not sure I would be able to figure that out, either on an iPad.

Thanks

Unfortunately I do not know of one application alone that covers all of your needs, but I would be happy to show you a few that may help you. Pages($9.99 USD in the App Store) seems to do the job of word processing wonderfully! I recommend you check it out since it does not appear to be on your list. For reading and editing(Highlighting, marking on, and signing) PDF files, PDF Expert seems to do the job, it can handle a lot of work that requires the use of a PDF file. It costs $4.99(USD) in the App Store. I hope this helps!

EDIT: A PDF creator was just released for iOS(http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...ml#post6212441). Regarding editing the text of a PDF you could copy the PDF file you want to edit into the PDF creator and edit the text from there.

-Jason
    Last edited by iJasonTATE; 2011-08-30 at 06:01 AM.
    iPhone 4S | MacBook Air

Thank you SO much for responses.
    I did purchase "Pages" in fact and forgot to put it on my list of apps. Is it possible to organise documents into folders in Pages on the ipad ? That's a pretty basic need for me once you store more than 10 or 15 documents.

I admit I have not spent hours trying to get each app to work in the way I need it to ( I just can't afford to take the time and new ones seem to become available continually), but in each case, some little problem blocked my use at some stage.

Just as an example, when I hit the transfer key (arrow) on a pdf doc attached to an email, some of the apps do not appear in the list of apps I can send the doc to. So right there, many seem to be excluded. And I don't know if it's possible to download the doc by starting from within the app (??).

What I really need is if you could tell me which combination of apps works well to :

-download a .doc or .docx or .pdf file received by email,
    - read it and ( if possible) edit it on my iPad,
    - send it by email to myself or to someone else.

If someone has the time, I would also be very grateful if you could walk me through it by steps. You know attorneys tend to ask too many questions to be good at doing things like this, I guess I'm not "intuitive".
    I would do a great review of this app in return!

Puntareyes

Thanks

In regards to organizing documents, do you have a Google Docs account? If so, you could download Documents to Go($9.99 USD for Office Suite, $16.99 for Premium Office Suite) then just input your Google Docs credentials into Documents to Go and you will have all of your necessary document transferred from your computer to you iPad. Regarding reading PDF files, Good Reader seem to be the best for strictly reading PDF's. To edit the PDF files(highlight, sign, etc...) PDf Expert works great! I believe sending PDF files can also be done within PDF Expert.

Tutorials, Documents: how to use documents to go on ipad - YouTube

The first 10 or so videos are explaining how to use all the different features in Documents to Go.

Tutorials, Reading and Editing PDF files: PDF Expert: iPad App of the Week - YouTube

This is a video tutorial showing you how to use PDF Expert to read and edit PDF files.

Hope this helps!

-Jason
    iPhone 4S | MacBook Air

PlainText is a very simple text editor (think notepad for iPad) that has dropbox support. It allows one to create and organize .TXT files that sync with your dropBox account. You can create folders from within the app for your docs. The only thing is that it is text only, no PDF support. I'm not sure that there is an all-in-one app that will suit your individual needs, but there are several that you can use together..
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Thank you all. I will view the tutorials

Puntareyes

Thanks

Your welcome, glad my information is of use to you. Let me know how it goes.
    iPhone 4S | MacBook Air